RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ice Road. 1/10

Neeson should hang his head in shame - one of the stupidest movies ever conceived. Just dumb.

I revisited Gareth Edwards' "Monsters" (2010) the other night and boy was it strange to watch a movie about:

People trying to cross Mexico to get to the US
Having to periodically wear masks on their faces
Coming to a huge border wall that still had a big opening in it
Space aliens

...and to realize that every one of those elements in this work of pure fiction is in our current news as we speak, lol.

I revisited Gareth Edwards' "Monsters" (2010) the other night and boy was it strange to watch a movie about:

Space aliens

...and to realize that every one of those elements in this work of pure fiction is in our current news as we speak, lol.
Unidentified Flying Objects are unidentified as it turns out. Awesome.

Space aliens

Wanted to like that film but thought it was just OK. Got him noticed though and went on to bigger things.

Blow Out - 8/10 - Good film....for an 80's film. ;)

O8pybrS.gif

The Hunt (2020): 8/10

I enjoyed the **** out of this one! I'm kicking myself for having waited months to check it out, and I already know I'll end up rewatching it.

This is a tongue-in-cheek satire that lampoons *both* extremes of our modern-day culture of political polarization. There's no attempt at any profound message beyond saying that politics are turning people on both sides into idiots and fine fellows. It's that simple. And the mere fact that a Hollywood movie is this willing to mock liberals makes it enough of a refreshing mini miracle to warrant my recommendation. :lol

Anyone expecting a nuanced and cerebral satire along the lines of a modern Dr. Strangelove is going to be very disappointed. This movie is blunt, and just wants to enjoy laughing at how absurd we've become. And anyone looking for an action/horror movie that takes itself seriously will also be very disappointed. Again, this is a satire film, and is very self aware of its silliness.

If you want 90 minutes of watching people get killed off with awesomely gratuitous violence, you should probably check this one out. And if you can enjoy that sort of thing in the context of laughing at a satirical take on how crazy the polarized modern culture is, then you should *definitely* check this movie out! If nothing else, this is worth watching for the lead performance from Betty Gilpin. She needs to be given more lead roles because her charisma is off the charts in this. Fantastic!

As a piece of cinema, I give this film a 6/10. As a piece of entertainment, I give it a 10/10. My overall score is an average of the two.

The Hunt (2020): 8/10

I enjoyed the **** out of this one! I'm kicking myself for having waited months to check it out, and I already know I'll end up rewatching it.

This is a tongue-in-cheek satire that lampoons *both* extremes of our modern-day culture of political polarization. There's no attempt at any profound message beyond saying that politics are turning people on both sides into idiots and fine fellows. It's that simple. And the mere fact that a Hollywood movie is this willing to mock liberals makes it enough of a refreshing mini miracle to warrant my recommendation. :lol

Anyone expecting a nuanced and cerebral satire along the lines of a modern Dr. Strangelove is going to be very disappointed. This movie is blunt, and just wants to enjoy laughing at how absurd we've become. And anyone looking for an action/horror movie that takes itself seriously will also be very disappointed. Again, this is a satire film, and is very self aware of its silliness.

If you want 90 minutes of watching people get killed off with awesomely gratuitous violence, you should probably check this one out. And if you can enjoy that sort of thing in the context of laughing at a satirical take on how crazy the polarized modern culture is, then you should *definitely* check this movie out! If nothing else, this is worth watching for the lead performance from Betty Gilpin. She needs to be given more lead roles because her charisma is off the charts in this. Fantastic!

As a piece of cinema, I give this film a 6/10. As a piece of entertainment, I give it a 10/10. My overall score is an average of the two.
I couldn't agree more. I'd forgotten about this movie until yesterday when I saw it had popped up on HBO Max. A fun watch, and Betty Gilpin is a revelation. I was only vaguely aware of her career, but now I know why all the Tomorrow War reviews said she was wasted being cast as Chris Pratt's wife in that movie. She needs to be given more lead roles stat!

I couldn't agree more. I'd forgotten about this movie until yesterday when I saw it had popped up on HBO Max. A fun watch, and Betty Gilpin is a revelation. I was only vaguely aware of her career, but now I know why all the Tomorrow War reviews said she was wasted being cast as Chris Pratt's wife in that movie. She needs to be given more lead roles stat!
I didn't know what her role was in TTW until watching it. I was expecting something different given how well she did in The Hunt.

Batman Begins - 7.5/10 - First two acts are perfect. Final act hurts
The Dark Knight - 10/10 - Still perfect
The Dark Knight Rises - 6/10 - Its a bit of a mess and the series deserves better but enjoyable overall.

Black Widow was enjoyable. It felt more like a James Bond or Mission Impossible movie with Marvel characters built in. My daughters both said it's their favorite Marvel movie so far which is understandable considering it's female dominated. Felt good to see a movie in the theater with them again.

Back