Marvel Studios' The Eternals (November 6th, 2020)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'd be awesome if somehow everything we've seen in the trailers takes place in the first 10 minutes of the movie. Then they pull a Suicide Squad and when the Deviants come walking out of the ocean the d-bag Eternals show up, raise their hands and go "Hey! It's okay! We're here to protect everyone! We--" And then "zap" the main guy's face gets blown off with a laser, the rest of the team gets immediately incinerated, torn apart, etc., and then the Avengers arrive to thunderous applause to clean up the mess.

Fo my part, I'm more "excited" about this than Shang-Chi. I didn't care for Black Widow or TF&TWS. As of now, I care only for the films that up the ante and go more and more cosmic. I can't return to boring Earth plotlines. Comics are different. You jump around all the time and there's no real progression. Here, with a definitive beginning, middle, and one day end, you need to follow a certain path.
In that contest, I'm more hyped for Shang Chi only because I love martial arts. I have my doubts about the film but if I had to choose...

Touching on what you said about genres and types, in no particular order I dig:
  • Space Opera
  • Super Spies
  • Street level heroes like Spidey and Daredevil -- plus Batman before they made him into a god (I also really dig the aesthetics for these 3 heroes)
  • Martial Arts (Kung Fu etc.)
  • 'Hard' Fantasy (George R.R. Martin)
  • Epic or High Fantasy (Tolkien)
  • Pulp Fiction in the vein of Black Science or Conan the Barbarian
Not sure where I'd put Tony Stark's Iron Man ... or Superman for that matter. The former I dig thanks to RDJ and the MCU, the latter is more of a nostalgia trip, because he's overpowered for my taste these days.

The Eternals touch on Space Opera but knowing nothing about the characters, so far I'm kinda like "Well there's a bunch of CGI I don't care about" --- but that could change. We'll see.

:
It'd be awesome if somehow everything we've seen in the trailers takes place in the first 10 minutes of the movie. Then they pull a Suicide Squad and when the Deviants come walking out of the ocean the d-bag Eternals show up, raise their hands and go "Hey! It's okay! We're here to protect everyone! We--" And then "zap" the main guy's face gets blown off with a laser, the rest of the team gets immediately incinerated, torn apart, etc., and then the Avengers arrive to thunderous applause to clean up the mess.
:lol :lol :lol

I think what we're all seeing firsthand is just how important the Russo Bros were to the success of the MCU vs. Kevin Feige. Remember Feige did *not* want them to make Civil War, which set up Infinity War, which culminated in EG, all thanks to the Russos every step of the way.
Can I have some of what you're smoking? All thanks to the Russos? What a load of BS! Sure, their contributions were significant, but they didn't write/create any of the stories/screenplays for those 4 movies. Pretty sure that was 100% Markus & McFeeley. And Feige was already laying out the Infinity Saga's connective tissue in the early MCU films while the Russos were still working on Community TV episodes.

BTW, how is it that someone with the name McFeeley has NOT been accused of inappropriate behavior in the current climate? The mind boggles...

tumblr_3b59fe0afb2f18ff8f83fceebdf72fc9_b9ca4a7e_540.gif

Getting a Homelander vibe from Ikaris in the trailer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel Studios changed his storyline and he ends up as the main villain.

In that contest, I'm more hyped for Shang Chi only because I love martial arts. I have my doubts about the film but if I had to choose...
I was never much into them so the flick does absolutely nothing for me. I liked Mandarin in the comics, but the MCU vesion is nothing like him.

Touching on what you said about genres and types, in no particular order I dig:
  • Space Opera
  • Super Spies
  • Street level heroes like Spidey and Daredevil -- plus Batman before they made him into a god (I also really dig the aesthetics for these 3 heroes)
  • Martial Arts (Kung Fu etc.)
  • 'Hard' Fantasy (George R.R. Martin)
  • Epic or High Fantasy (Tolkien)
  • Pulp Fiction in the vein of Black Science or Conan the Barbarian
I've never really thought about it. I know I like Sci-Fi, lots of kinds. From Hard to Soft. I tend to prefer the grandness of Space Operas, but I'm open to it all. I like both Wars and Trek, though Wars keeps me engaged throughout all periods, while Trek I'm not planning on going past TNG or looking into the EU. I hate Foundation though. Random though, but I loathed that book. I really did. I think about it and it makes me dizzy. Before that Dracula was the most boring read I'd come across, but Foundation was something else. So banal, so tiring that I didn't even want to imagine anything, I just wanted it to be over. I've read hard books, but that was just exhausting in its blandness.

Anyway, I like Historical Fiction, either verging into Fantasy or not. I tend to pefer Antiquity settings, but I have no problem with the majority of time periods. I like "Exploration Fiction". You know, BOATS and all that. It's how I got into Trek. I don't much care for the half-assed sophomore philosophy sessions, it's the core concept that hooked me. I like stuff from all over really. I hate things like Tromma, find extreme pulp boring, and some other stuff I can't think of now. Really, I give most genres a shot. I can enjoy a good detective story just as easily as a political drama. Maybe that's why I didn't hate the Space Politics in the Prequels.

Not sure where I'd put Tony Stark's Iron Man ... or Superman for that matter. The former I dig thanks to RDJ and the MCU, the latter is more of a nostalgia trip, because he's overpowered for my taste these days.
I've got enough interests in capes to have places for most of them. But I don't intent to have a figure-pre-detolf display. I want to display them in groups. But I have no plans as of now because I don't know how the MCU will play out, how the characters will be treated, cast, what costumes they'll wear, etc. But really, I don't care much how the movie version acts as long as they look close to the comics; I buy them as representations of the source.

You could put Stark & Superman in a Sci-Fi shelf if you have one. Doctor Who, Terminator, whatever. I plan to set up one for all my randoms. But I'll have to wait until I own more. Between Vidya, Movies and Shows there are too many genres and characters for me to think about such things now. Say someone makes a Master Chief and a Kratos. Do I put them in the Vidya shelf? Or do I put Master Chief in the SyFy shelf and Kratos next to a hypothetical Marvel Herc? It's too much "what if" at this point.

The Eternals touch on Space Opera but knowing nothing about the characters, so far I'm kinda like "Well there's a bunch of CGI I don't care about" --- but that could change. We'll see.
I like the genre, enough to give whatever comes my way a shot, but not to the point where I love eveyrthing that falls under its umbrellas. I'm more interested in it compared to all other Phase 4 products thus far, but that's not saying a lot. I have some excitement, and I suppose that's good enough. It's DSITMOM and F4 that I'm really waiting for.

Their excuse for not helping The Avengers is just about passable. I imagine all post Infinity War MCU films will have to address that issue.

Nothing will beat Captain Marvel's poor excuse of being too busy to help out.
BackMarriedBooby.webp

Their excuse for not helping The Avengers is just about passable. I imagine all post Infinity War MCU films will have to address that issue.

Nothing will beat Captain Marvel's poor excuse of being too busy to help out.
BackMarriedBooby.webp
They basically said "not our job", I respect that.

Back