Kaustic Plastik and Infinite Statue - John Wayne OFFICIAL 1/6 Action Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was getting into collecting 1/6 more seriously I used to search out Michael's reviews to decide on figures.

More recently though, since there's a lot more video reviews, I haven't been following his site.

With some reviewers I tend not to take much notice of what they're saying, but judge from I can see for myself from the video.
I look at all reviews for the more unique figures but MC remains my go to. Really look Forward to his bi-weekly updates even for things I’m not so interested in.

When I was getting into collecting 1/6 more seriously I used to search out Michael's reviews to decide on figures.

More recently though, since there's a lot more video reviews, I haven't been following his site.

With some reviewers I tend not to take much notice of what they're saying, but judge from I can see for myself from the video.
I'll check him out if something I'm interested in pops up on my FB feed, but yeah, I do also look at video reviews. It's better when they buy the figures like we do so they're just as we get them and not some top sample they've been sent which looks pristine.

Weird trousers and stiff vest now available in "true light". The face looks better here though:

kp (1).jpg
kp (10).jpg
kp (11).jpg
kp (12).jpg
kp (2).jpg
kp (13).jpg
kp (3).jpg
kp (5).jpg
kp (4).jpg
kp (6).jpg
kp (7).jpg
kp (8).jpg
kp (9).jpg

Still somewhat underwhelmed I'm afraid. The Limtoys Gunslinger leaves this in the dust in terms of overall quality and accessories.

Yeah. Not really a fan of most of KP’s stuff. The sculpt is somewhat caricature and the paint apps are really dated for what’s suppose to be a professional produced 1/6 collectible. It lacks the realism a high end dollie should have.

I like that they’re making these niche characters like this and Sellers but the quality just isn’t there for me to spend the kind of money they’re asking.

Yeah. Not really a fan of most of KP’s stuff. The sculpt is somewhat caricature and the paint apps are really dated for what’s suppose to be a professional produced 1/6 collectible. It lacks the realism a high end dollie should have.

I like that they’re making these niche characters like this and Sellers but the quality just isn’t there for me to spend the kind of money they’re asking.

Yet, reading the comments on Dean's videos, people regard this as a "beautiful figure".

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder!

I wish I'd never ordered it.

The figure looks like it needs dunking in a bath to control the clothes, after removing the pleather parts. The vest is pleather too, though, and don't know if it could be softened any other way. I might just remove it and do the coat up if it's possible. Then he can join the winter cowboy collection.

I think the coat is essential because the shirt sleeves are too short to cover the end of the arms even when they're straight:

vlcsnap-2022-04-05-15h18m09s044.jpg

This is the best shot of the coat, and it looks as though the buttonholes are fake, as with DiD figures they're much more noticeable when functional:

vlcsnap-2022-04-05-15h17m45s954.jpg

And just look at those horrible, pale, plasticky, flash-ridden, cheap looking hands. :horror

I think I'll be chucking the vest into my spare parts stash; wrapping the gun belt and holster in plastic and soaking the coat before putting it on the figure. The boots can be removed so the trousers can be soaked below the holster.

Hands look like they need changing for a pair made in the 21st century. :lol

Yet, reading the comments on Dean's videos, people regard this as a "beautiful figure".

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder!

I wish I'd never ordered it.

The figure looks like it needs dunking in a bath to control the clothes, after removing the pleather parts. The vest is pleather too, though, and don't know if it could be softened any other way. I might just remove it and do the coat up if it's possible. Then he can join the winter cowboy collection.
I suspect Dean's fans are Dean's fans and they may not have seen anything better. He has reviewed stuff that I've liked and bought though and I like to think I'm a bit more discerning than most.

I suspect Dean's fans are Dean's fans and they may not have seen anything better. He has reviewed stuff that I've liked and bought though and I like to think I'm a bit more discerning than most.

It also appears to be the same on KP's Facebook page. :unsure:

Sometimes it makes me wonder whether we're all looking at the same figure. :lol

I don't think the figure is that terrible from what I've seen, it is obviously outdated compared to what a standard current day figure should be, but it does it's job, the most impressive thing for me is how they did the nails.

The clothes could be like that due to a lack of futzing, I don't know if the vest is actual leather but if it is that would explain why it looks so ill fitting, real thick leather like that is usually hard to tailor in 1/6 which is why a lot of brands still use pleather, fortunately we now have real thin leather material available, it's still tricky to tailor but definitely easier and better looking.

Diecast weapons and accessories sound fancy but they don't cast as well as plastic, it's definitely more sturdy but you lose a lot of detail you get with a good plastic mold, but they definitely could painted them better, especially the Colt, which brings me to my next point.

The worst part is the paint apps, they really bring down the over all look of the figure, we're reaching a stage where more and more brands, third party included, are using printing technology in order to achieve the sense of realism collectors have come to expect from present day figures, some are using the latest techniques and tech available which results in an insane final effect on sculpts and accessories, @Asta has brought up The Gunslinger and that figure uses the latest printing tech to achieve tiny details like veins on the face, wood grain on weapons, body hair, etc. When you compare something like that to this, it's difficult to appreciate the outdated paint apps that really belong on an old Sideshow figure, Kaustic should definitely invest in better factories to produce better paint apps, it's their weakest point and changing that could bring their figures to a new level.

I don't think the figure is that terrible from what I've seen, it is obviously outdated compared to what a standard current day figure should be, but it does it's job, the most impressive thing for me is how they did the nails.

The clothes could be like that due to a lack of futzing, I don't know if the vest is actual leather but if it is that would explain why it looks so ill fitting, real thick leather like that is usually hard to tailor in 1/6 which is why a lot of brands still use pleather, fortunately we now have real thin leather material available, it's still tricky to tailor but definitely easier and better looking.

Diecast weapons and accessories sound fancy but they don't cast as well as plastic, it's definitely more sturdy but you lose a lot of detail you get with a good plastic mold, but they definitely could painted them better, especially the Colt, which brings me to my next point.

The worst part is the paint apps, they really bring down the over all look of the figure, we're reaching a stage where more and more brands, third party included, are using printing technology in order to achieve the sense of realism, some are using the latest techniques and tech available which results in an insane final effect on sculpts and accessories, @Asta has brought up The Gunslinger and that figures uses the latest printing tech to achieve tiny details like veins on the face, wood grain on weapons, body hair, etc. When you compare something like that to this, it's difficult to appreciate the outdated paint apps that really belong on an old Sideshow figure, Kaustic should definitely invest in better factories to produce better paint apps, it's their weakest point and changing that could bring their figures to a new level.

The Gunslinger spoiled me. Now I expect all other figures to match that level!

It beats this John Wayne in all areas - sculpt; perfectly fitted clothes; better looking boots (because they were sculpted); excellently detailed and finished weapons and accessories.

The real selling point of this John Wayne is that it's John Wayne. So I'll keep it and see if I can make him look more presentable. But at the price point that shouldn't have been my first reaction to the production figure.

The Gunslinger spoiled me. Now I expect all other figures to match that level!

It beats this John Wayne in all areas - sculpt; perfectly fitted clothes; better looking boots (because they were sculpted); excellently detailed and finished weapons and accessories.

The real selling point of this John Wayne is that it's John Wayne. So I'll keep it and see if I can make him look more presentable. But at the price point that shouldn't have been my first reaction to the production figure.
Haha thanks for the support man, I'm proud of what we did with that figure but it also had it's issues, the goal is to improve on those with future releases, as I think any company should, which is why I hope to see Kaustic putting out better paint apps in the future.

Also Dean tends to be generous with his reviews, unless it's Hot Toys or something he really, really loves, then he can be very ciritcal, as always I tend to watch his videos and that of other collectors as presentations of the figures rather than actual reviews, I hate to bring this figure up but while I did like the VTS Wilderness Rider as a figure, it was a poor representation of the character in terms of likeness in my opinion, but Dean said it had fantastic likeness and gave it a 10/10, it's his opinion and there's nothing wrong with it but it shows how often the views of a reviewer and mine don't align even when we're both fans of the source material.

Haha thanks for the support man, I'm proud of what we did with that figure but it also had it's issues, the goal is to improve on those with future releases, as I think any company should, which is why I hope to see Kaustic putting out better paint apps in the future.

KP/IS got my attention with their Bud Spencer figure, though I didn't buy him. He appeared to be a step in the right direction, but then the Peter Sellers didn't look as good (particularly the clothes), and now John Wayne.

However, there's so much hype for Dean's videos, and on KP's Facebook, that KP probably think they've reached the required level already. They're basking in the glory of something that isn't that glorious.

Also Dean tends to be generous with his reviews, unless it's Hot Toys or something he really, really loves, then he can be very ciritcal, as always I tend to watch his videos and that of other collectors as presentations of the figures rather than actual reviews, I hate to bring this figure up but while I did like the VTS Wilderness Rider as a figure, it was a poor representation of the character in terms of likeness in my opinion, but Dean said it had fantastic likeness and gave it a 10/10, it's his opinion and there's nothing wrong with it but it shows how often the views of a reviewer and mine don't align even when we're both fans of the source material.

The VTS was a fun figure, and a good warm up for the Gunslinger. Likeness wasn't a concern for what I wanted him for, and it had a few different pieces, such as the green coat, Spencer carbine, fishing rod etc.

I never dreamt I'd be displaying a 1/6 figure with a fishing rod. :lol

100_1472.JPG

Between two Gunslingers and one VTS it was fun putting together the various figures, and creating new ones out of the spares.

John Wayne, on the other hand, is getting up there in price, yet he's a one trick pony that isn't playing even playing that trick as well.

KP/IS got my attention with their Bud Spencer figure, though I didn't buy him. He appeared to be a step in the right direction, but then the Peter Sellers didn't look as good (particularly the clothes), and now John Wayne.

However, there's so much hype for Dean's videos, and on KP's Facebook, that KP probably think they've reached the required level already. They're basking in the glory of something that isn't that glorious.
That Bud Spencer looked pretty sweet, it's a shame to see Kaustic not putting in the work to bring their figures to the next level tho, they're the only ones doing these old school western figures so I guess they don't really have to put in that kind of effort, positive feedback always feels great but it shouldn't result in complacency.

The VTS was a fun figure, and a good warm up for the Gunslinger. Likeness wasn't a concern for what I wanted him for, and it had a few different pieces, such as the green coat, Spencer carbine, fishing rod etc.

I never dreamt I'd be displaying a 1/6 figure with a fishing rod. :lol

View attachment 570305

Between two Gunslingers and one VTS it was fun putting together the various figures, and creating new ones out of the spares.

John Wayne, on the other hand, is getting up there in price, yet he's a one trick pony that isn't playing even playing that trick as well.
People always falsely assumed I hated that figure but I actually like it and it's accessories were definitely the best thing about it, I wish we had included some of them with The Gunslinger but maybe for another time? ;)

That's another thing that makes those figures fun to have, the ability to display them in several looks or have them in several interesting poses such as fishing, the John Wayne figure also has some "every day" accessories and the diorama base but there's not much else you can do with him in terms of variety.

People always falsely assumed I hated that figure but I actually like it and it's accessories were definitely the best thing about it, I wish we had included some of them with The Gunslinger but maybe for another time? ;)

That's another thing that makes those figures fun to have, the ability to display them in several looks or have them in several interesting poses such as fishing, the John Wayne figure also has some "every day" accessories and the diorama base but there's not much else you can do with him in terms of variety.

I went with the regular version of Wayne as I didn't find the campsite base appealing enough.

john-wayne-1-6-deluxe-af-web-exclusive.jpg

I like the neat little campfire and accessories with the Gunslinger. It adds a nice bit of atmosphere and story to the figure without even taking up any extra space.

100_1458.JPG

(And just look at that woodgrain and brass on the Winchester!)

I went with the regular version of Wayne as I didn't find the campsite base appealing enough.

john-wayne-1-6-deluxe-af-web-exclusive.jpg

I like the neat little campfire and accessories with the Gunslinger. It adds a nice bit of atmosphere and story to the figure without even taking up any extra space.

View attachment 570308

(And just look at that woodgrain and brass on the Winchester!)
I don't mind bigger diorama bases as long as they're done well and don't take too much space, unfortunately most of the time brands put out something that belongs in an aquarium and the kaustic base seems to be no different in that regard! :lol

Back