Kaustic Plastik and Infinite Statue - John Wayne OFFICIAL 1/6 Action Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the figure is that terrible from what I've seen, it is obviously outdated compared to what a standard current day figure should be, but it does it's job, the most impressive thing for me is how they did the nails.

The clothes could be like that due to a lack of futzing, I don't know if the vest is actual leather but if it is that would explain why it looks so ill fitting, real thick leather like that is usually hard to tailor in 1/6 which is why a lot of brands still use pleather, fortunately we now have real thin leather material available, it's still tricky to tailor but definitely easier and better looking.

Diecast weapons and accessories sound fancy but they don't cast as well as plastic, it's definitely more sturdy but you lose a lot of detail you get with a good plastic mold, but they definitely could painted them better, especially the Colt, which brings me to my next point.

The worst part is the paint apps, they really bring down the over all look of the figure, we're reaching a stage where more and more brands, third party included, are using printing technology in order to achieve the sense of realism collectors have come to expect from present day figures, some are using the latest techniques and tech available which results in an insane final effect on sculpts and accessories, @Asta has brought up The Gunslinger and that figure uses the latest printing tech to achieve tiny details like veins on the face, wood grain on weapons, body hair, etc. When you compare something like that to this, it's difficult to appreciate the outdated paint apps that really belong on an old Sideshow figure, Kaustic should definitely invest in better factories to produce better paint apps, it's their weakest point and changing that could bring their figures to a new level.
You use digital print!? Nice, I've seen NECA and Bandai use that to good effect and have wondered if it would ever make it to 1/6. I'm surprised more companies don't do it as you get much more consistent results from it. Production line figures have been notoriously hit and miss when done by hand, but, almost every production figure I've seen that has used digital has matched the protoype for quality as it's been done using the same process and not by one high quality painter.

It's not terrible, but it isn't great either. The proto did not excite and the production piece looks worse. The paint apps took a drastic hit. The license was probably not cheap, but that doesn't excuse what is being put out. Knowing you are going to charge more than the going rate should push you to release a better than standard figure. At the very least the standard and hope enough people will eat the cost. In all fairness, I not a Wayne fan, but I do love westerns and would have considered this figure; if things were better .ie price, quality, and, or, etc.

Kaustic Plastik is
DyORGxNPp9w.png
feeling blissful.​

star_filled_24_fds-gray-70.png
Favourites · 1 hr ·

Another promotional copy is landed!
This time we can watch the amazing detailed review from Justin's Collection channel!
Duke is back to life and soon will land in your houses!
Give a look to this amazing unboxing and don't forget to subscribe to Justin's Collection channel for other amazing reviews!

Justin confirmed that the coat does have working buttons. :yess:

Not sure if Justin's figure has had extra weathering than was applied to Dean's, but it looks much better. The shirt has been sun bleached and there's weathering on the trousers.

Either Justin's video is better, or his copy of the figure is better, but I think it generally looks better than Dean's. Apart from the belt buckle looking awkward, and the vest still being too stiff and bulky - Justin said he'd remove it for those reasons if he was putting the jacket on.

j (1).jpg
j (2).jpg
j (3).jpg
j (9).jpg
j (4).jpg
j (5).jpg
j (6).jpg
j (7).jpg
j (8).jpg

j10 (1).jpg
j10 (2).jpg
j12.jpg

EDIT:

Looking back at Dean's true light photos I can see the sun bleaching on the shirt, and also just make out the weathering on the trousers. I think Justin did a better job of capturing it, and also futzing the trousers/legs better so they didn't look as weird.

All in all a very good release from KP, not really got enough interest in owning a JW fig, so this is a pass.
Indy fig looks so diddy next to the Wayne fig in the video. :)

I'm still not feeling it. The likeness isn't there and that jacket really bugs me. It's too thick and just doesn't drape, it looks way too fresh and starched to have been on a grizzled old soak like Rooster Cogburn. These guys lived in their clothes and I'm just not getting that here. Have I been spoiled by Limtoys, maybe, but, I have to call it how I see it.

I'm still not feeling it. The likeness isn't there and that jacket really bugs me. It's too thick and just doesn't drape, it looks way too fresh and starched to have been on a grizzled old soak like Rooster Cogburn. These guys lived in their clothes and I'm just not getting that here. Have I been spoiled by Limtoys, maybe, but, I have to call it how I see it.

:lecture

That's the problem.

We were spoiled by a company that were so invested in a character that they kept revising it until it met their own high expectations.

With KP/IS you can see that they got to a certain stage and said, okay that's good enough. Then they sit back on their laurels, and send out figures to reviewers who'll massage their ego and generate the necessary hype among their respective followers.

It's the emperor's new clothes, and they're not the only company who're currently blessed with those kinds of fans.

I'm glad the coat buttons are functional, as that's how I'll attempt to rescue the figure if water treatment alone isn't good enough. I think I'll soak the coat, put it on and fasten the buttons. Hitch it up over the holster so he can get to his gun.

The sculpt will probably look better in real life, especially with the hat brim casting shadows to bring out the age lines.

After watching Justin’s video even more excited. Looks amazing IMHO. Diecast weapons really put it over the top. Seeing that .45 Colt cartridge pop out of the loading gate… wow.

Regretting not getting the deluxe version.

30 day trip over to Vietnam… hope this releases soon.

I searched for the original costume from True Grit, and instead turned up a Daily Mail report about the entire costume being sold by auction in Los Angeles in October 2011. The page is, however, completely blank.

I found snippets of the original report on Pinterest:

Entire costume worn by John Wayne in True Grit set to fetch $160,000 at auction... boots, eye patch and all. Family auctioning off clothing and memorabilia ...

There's another report here:

https://metro.co.uk/2011/08/19/john-waynes-rooster-cogburn-costume-up-for-auction-for-100000-119844/

Part of the costume:

8500544_1_x.jpg

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/12968/lot/1052/
LOT 1052
John Wayne's Costume as Rooster Cogburn as seen in

Sold

John Wayne's Costume as Rooster Cogburn as seen in the Films 'True Grit' and 'Rooster Cogburn'

1) Brown leather four pocket vest, the front with lapels and a pair of decorative string ties on either side. Tan linen lining with label reading Western Costume Co./Hollywood/2318-4/John Wayne/Chest 50. Backing of coarsely woven off-white material. Mr. Wayne had a number of leather vests of similar cut that he wore in a number of films.

2) Pair of tooled brown leather cowboy boots by Lucchese. Sam Lucchese was Wayne's bootmaker for many years. This pair of boots, and the spurs listed below, are pictured on pages 142 and 143 of On Board with the Duke by Captain Bert Marshall. Mr. Wayne had numerous pairs of boots and it is difficult to say what films he wore this particular pair in.

3) Pair of western spurs by Bohlin. The stainless steel spurs decorated with simple copper overlays and fitted with five-pointed aluminum rowels and simple brown leather straps. One spur marked on the interior Sterling/Bohlinmade/Calif./Hollywood. These spurs were probably made for Wayne in the 1950s. As opposed to the fancy silver spurs usually made by Bohlin and affected by many stars, the simplicity of these spurs fits perfectly with the Duke's image as the no-nonsense, everyday cowboy that he usually portrayed. The spurs are fitted with aluminum rowels so that they would make no extraneous noise on the movie set.

4) Long sleeved single pocket shirt of fine blue cotton custom-made for Wayne by Ermenegildo Zegna and worn in the film True Grit. Lower seam of tail embroidered 68D Jeakins J. Wayne 6. Dorothy Jeakins did the costume design for True Grit.

5) Brown leather belt with U.S. Indian Wars-era officers belt buckle. The period buckle of standard pattern of cast brass with American eagle flanked by applied silver foliage. This belt and buckle was worn by Wayne in numerous movies.

6) Two five-pointed nickel silver stars by LAS&S Company, one marked Deputy Marshal, the other Deputy/U.S./Marshal. One six-pointed brushed steel star marked United States/Deputy/Marshal.

7) Black leather eyepatch. During the filming of Rooster Cogburn, Mr. Wayne was visited by his children, Marisa and Ethan. He was teaching Marisa to play golf when she accidentally hit him above the eye with the club and knocked him unconscious. As the accident left bruises, a slightly large eyepatch was quickly made so shooting could continue for the film. This is purportedly the patch used and can be seen in a few scenes of the film.

This lot is offered with notarized statement of provenance and copies of notarized statements of Mr. Walter Adams, an employee of John Wayne's company DECO, attesting to the presentation of this costume to Mr.Hess by Mr. Wayne.

Condition: 1), 2) and 3) Very good and showing considerable wear. 4) Fine.

This page has more details about the costume he wore

https://bamfstyle.com/2020/05/26/true-grit-duke/

BAMF Style

MAY 26, 2020

John Wayne in True Grit​

Vitals​

John Wayne as Reuben J. “Rooster” Cogburn, tough Deputy U.S. Marshal

Fort Smith, Arkansas, into Indian Territory, Fall 1880

Film: True Grit
Release Date: June 12, 1969
Director: Henry Hathaway
Costume Designer: Dorothy Jeakins
Wardrobe: Luster Bayless (uncredited)

12.jpg

Background​

To commemorate John Wayne’s birthday 113 years ago today on May 26, 1907, let’s take a look at one of Duke’s most enduring roles and the one that won him the Academy Award after more than forty years making over 200 movies.

Swiftly adapted from Charles Portis’ source novel of the same name, True Grit follows 14-year-old Mattie Ross as she seeks the help of a drunken U.S. Marshal, chosen by virtue of his reputation as the meanest marshal, to avenge the murder of her father. John Wayne was enthusiastic to play the cantankerous drunkard Rooster Cogburn as soon as he read Portis’ novel and even moreso after reading Marguerite Roberts’ screenplay, but the rest of the cast was not as easily secured. Contenders to play Mattie included Mia Farrow, Sally Field, Tuesday Weld, and even Wayne’s own daughter Aissa before the role went to the 21-year-old Kim Darby. Hiring Elvis Presley for the part of LeBoeuf the swaggering Texas Ranger would have meant agreeing to bill him above John Wayne, so the filmmakers went with Glen Campbell, whose theme song for True Grit received the film’s only other Oscar nomination.

“If I’d have known… I would have put that patch on thirty-five years earlier,” Wayne joked when accepting his own Oscar at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion during the 42nd Academy Awards ceremony in April 1970. (He had also reportedly quipped “beginner’s luck” in Barbra Streisand’s ear when she presented him with the award.) Though perhaps humbled in the moment, Wayne later explained in his May 1971 interview for Playboy: “I really didn’t need an Oscar. I’m a box-office champion with a record they’re going to have to run to catch. And they won’t.”

John Wayne’s Oscar signified a transitional period not only for the film industry but for Westerns specifically. For nearly forty years, Wayne had made a name for himself as the quintessential Western hero, a tough, righteous, and unflappable all-American gunman who shoots more than he speaks. In 1969, Hollywood honored Duke with its most coveted award while also welcoming a trio of “revisionist Westerns”—Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Tell Them Willie Boy is Here, and The Wild Bunch—that subverted the black-and-white morality of Wayne’s filmography.

In a way, True Grit marked the end of the classic era of Westerns. Gary Cooper, William S. Hart, and Tom Mix were long gone, and Wayne and contemporaries like Joel McCrea, Randolph Scott, and Jimmy Stewart were aging out of the saddle; the reigns once dominated by John Ford, Howard Hawks, and John Sturges were now in the hands of Clint Eastwood, Sergio Leone, and Sam Peckinpah, who were presenting the American West with greater—and often darker—ethical complexity.

What’d He Wear?​

On the Trail​

I’ve seen a variety of costumes that are purported to be John Wayne’s screen-worn items from True Grit, with some instead from his reprisal of the role opposite Katharine Hepburn in Rooster Cogburn (1975) while others appear to be from neither film. (A hint: if the shirt is a taupe gray like this shirt via Heritage Auctions and iCollector, it’s likely from Rooster Cogburn.)

As partially compiled for a Bonhams “Arms & Armour” auction in December 2003, Duke’s screen-worn True Grit trail costume consists of a tan stockade jacket, light brown leather vest, slate-colored flannel shirt, pink plaid neckerchief, taupe jeans worn with suspenders and belt, cowboy boots with de rigueur spurs, black hat, and eye-patch.

13.jpg

The tan heavyweight cotton stockade jacket was a John Wayne staple across his latter Westerns, beginning with Rio Bravo in 1959. Duke’s stockade jacket evolved over the following decade, and one of his actual True Grit screen-worn jackets was sold by Heritage Auctions in October 2011 alongside some of the actor’s other personal items. According to the listing:

This style of coat, known as a “stockade jacket,” became part of Wayne’s standard western costume for the rest of his career. It is first seen in the 1960 20th Century Fox release, North to Alaska (but with an added small pocket sewn on top of the larger left breast pocket) and then the design slightly changed to a three pocket version (which Wayne wore in three films) and then it changed again to a four pocket version (which Wayne wore in his last nine western films). It is believed that six of these “stockade jackets” were originally made: one for each of the “Chucks” [Roberson and Hayward, Wayne’s longtime stunt doubles] and four for Wayne himself.
The listing also describes the lining stamped with “American” in reference to United American Costume/American Costume Corporation, the company owned by prolific costume designer Luster Bayless who worked—both credited and uncredited—with Duke on many of his later films, starting with McLintock! (1963) up through his final movie, The Shootist (1976). Given that Mr. Bayless started his company in 1977, eight years after True Grit was released, the stamp was likely placed on the screen-used garment long after the production.

14.jpg

Made from a treated, heavy cotton outer shell and based on popular turn-of-the-century barn coats and hunting jackets, the four-button, thigh-length stockade jacket has a darker tan corduroy collar with long, set-in sleeves that are partially lined at the squared cuffs in a matching corded cloth, seen as Wayne wears the cuffs almost always unbuttoned and folded back to reveal this corduroy side, except for during the snowy epilogue. The shoulders are reinforced with Western-style gently pointed yokes.

At one point, Cogburn orders LeBoeuf to place it over the smoking chimney of a hideout cabin to chase out the occupants, which would leave the jacket with a considerable smell… though the rugged Rooster doesn’t seem like the type who would mind a jacket smelling like smoke.

Cogburn’s jacket has four patch pockets, two on the chest and two larger ones on the hips, all with rounded bottom corners and flaps. The marshal makes good use of his pockets to carry his provisions of salt, red pepper, and taffy as well as cartridges, “skinnin’ knife”, and the occasional pint of bourbon.

15.jpg

Brown leather vests in various colors, fabrics, and forms are another staple of John Wayne’s Western wardrobe, dating considerably further back in his filmography than the stockade jacket. The True Grit waistcoat, made by Western Costume Co., was made of light brown suede with a coarser beige linen back lining that begins under the horizontal yoke and is shaped with darts on each side.

The front of the vest is detailed with notch lapels that roll to a long single leather drawstring on each side to ostensibly tie the vest at mid-chest, rather than a dressier button-up closure. Cogburn’s vest also has four slim-welted pockets on the front. Cogburn’s six-pointed marshal’s star printed “DEPUTY | MARSHAL” was made of brushed steel (and not the proverbial tin) by LAS&S Company, according to the Bonhams listing, and and pinned to the left side of his vest.

16.jpg

Rooster Cogburn’s neckerchief is a light pink plaid cotton scarf, knotted on the left side and worn loosely around his neck.

17.jpg

The traditional John Wayne image, dating back as far as his breakout role in Stagecoach (1939) and through the 1950s, included a flap-fronted “bib” shirt. By the mid-1960s—following his 1964 surgery to treat lung cancer and around the time he made The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)—Duke had essentially replaced his cavalry-style bib shirts with more conventional button-up shirts that were likely more comfortable and flattering, not to mention easier to put on, as the actor continued to work through his middle age.

In True Grit, Rooster Cogburn hits the trail with a long-sleeved button-up work shirt in a heavyweight slate gray-blue cotton. As in his other movies of the period, the shirt was detailed with a large collar, rounded on the corners, with a front placket, two chest pockets, and single-button squared cuffs. According to the Bonhams auction listing, this shirt was custom-made by Ermenegildo Zegna and is embroidered on the lower tail seam with “68D Jeakins” in reference to costume designer Dorothy Jeakins.

18.jpg

Aside from a brief scene toward the end where he wears his ecru flannel work shirt with the leather vest and kerchief, Rooster exclusively wears a blue-gray shirt with this outfit, meaning that shirts of other colors purported to be screen-worn (such as this burgundy shirt and embroidered vest via Nate D. Sanders or this taupe “gray” shirt via iCollector) are likely listed inaccurately.

Rooster wears dark taupe canvas casual trousers styled similar to jeans with belt loops, curved front pocket openings, a seam across the top of the seat, and patch-style back pockets.

19.jpg

Rooster’s trousers are held up with the redundant double suspension of a belt and braces, in this case the same yellow striped suspenders he wore with his “town” clothing, described below. His black leather belt closes through what has been identified as an officer’s belt buckle from the Civil War and Indian Wars era, cast in brass with an American eagle flanked by applied silver foliage. Similar belts and buckles were worn by Wayne across many of his movies, though this particular usage is consistent with Rooster Cogburn’s military service, albeit with the less-than-official Quantrill’s Raiders which fought for the Confederacy rather than the Union.

His military service also lends credence to Rooster wearing trousers with a belt, as this wouldn’t become a standard men’s practice until about a half-century later as menswear evolved during the roaring ’20s and the years immediately following World War I.

20.jpg

Rooster wears the same two-toned gun belt that was a fixture of most John Wayne Westerns across the latter half of the actor’s screen career, consisting of a “half-breed” holster mounted on a wide folded belt of distressed tan roughout cowhide, detailed with brown oiled leather cartridge loops across the back and left side—accommodating the .44-40 rounds for his revolver and rifle—and a brown ranger-style strap across the front that closes through a steel single-prong buckle.

Fastened to the right side of his belt for a clean, right-handed draw, the “half-breed” holster was so nicknamed for combining the classic “slim jim” holster with a “hidden skirt and a loop,” according to a listing at Purdy Gear. “It gives the holster a slimmer profile overall with the eye-catching appeal of the conventional skirted western holster’s loop… characterized by a wide, oval cigar band loop, a shallow, swooping recurve at the trigger guard and a throat cut that hits the top of the cylinder” Though worn in Duke’s films regardless of setting, these holsters were reportedly developed around the turn-of-the-century, bridging the transition between the straight gun belts of the late 19th century and the iconic “Buscadero” rigs that emerged leading up to World War I and were popularized in Western serials of the roaring ’20s. In addition to the Purdy holsters, Amazon also includes a “Duke’s Special” replica rig by Frontier Gunleather and America’s Gun Store offers the “Rooster Cogburn” among its many rigs.

The Purdy site also suggests that Wayne evidently encountered the original holster in New Mexico and had it replicated by Andy Anderson to wear in his famous Westerns like Hondo (1953) all the way through Rooster Cogburn, the 1975 sequel to True Grit. While this wouldn’t have been the same gun rig across all these films, the soft napped structure of the belt would lend itself nicely to fitting around Duke’s waist as his physique changed with age.

21.jpg

John Wayne favored boots by Lucchese, the bootmaker established in San Antonio by Italian immigrant brothers Salvatore and Joseph Lucchese. In the decades since the business was founded in 1883, Lucchese boots have been the preferred choice of actors and aviators ranging from Gary Cooper, Bing Crosby, Gregory Peck, and Arnold Schwarzenegger to Jimmy Doolittle and Frank Purdy Lahm, even crossing political aisles with presidents including Lyndon Baines Johnson and Ronald Reagan—and even British Prime Minister Tony Blair—known to wear Lucchese.

The Bonhams auction of Duke’s True Grit costume included a pair of tooled brown leather Lucchese cowboy boots as well as a pair of stainless steel Bohlin spurs with copper overlays, five-pointed aluminum rowels, and simple brown leather straps, though even the listing admits that there’s no confirmation these boots were worn on screen. These brown boots were re-auctioned by Heritage Auctions in October 2011, with the listing more definitive in its suggestion that he wore them as Rooster Cogburn. Though the screen-worn boots had looked black to me, the rounded pointed toes and the wide decorative tooling on the shafts are indicative of a match.

The vamps are decorated with the classic “bug and wrinkle” medallion stitching, which Lucchese stated in a Tweet was originally designed to help boot leather crease naturally along the foot, and the tops of the shafts are straight with over-the-top ear pulls that remain hidden on screen under Rooster’s trousers.

22.jpg

As Westerns shifted toward a greater focus on anti-heroes than outright heroes, even John Wayne followed to some extent by wearing a black hat as Rooster Cogburn. A Heritage Auctions listing for Duke’s black hat from The Comancheros (1961) suggests that he wore the same hat in True Grit, citing Herb Fagen’s 1996 book Duke, We’re Glad We Knew You in which Luster Bayless is quoted saying that the “hat [from True Grit] was the same one he used in The Comancheros and The Alamo. We just changed the block around.” Rooster’s wide-brimmed beaver felt hat is detailed with a decorative dark brown braided band over the traditional black grosgrain band at the base of its tall cattleman-style crown. Several replicas are available online via Watson Hat Shop and Western Saddle.

While many, if not most of the other elements described above could apply to several John Wayne characters, Rooster Cogburn’s most distinguishing feature was his black eye-patch, worn over the left eye that was damaged during Rooster’s Civil War service. John Wayne reportedly (and understandably) had some concerns about his ability to effectively ride, shoot, and act on horseback while wearing the patch so Henry Hathaway assuaged his concerns by providing the actor with a leather eye-patch incorporating a painted mesh gauze that would allow Wayne to still use his left eye.

23.jpg

True Grit was John Wayne’s second film after he completed The Green Berets (1968), during which he had been gifted with a brass bracelet by the indigenous Montagnard people of Vietnam. Modern Forces Living History Group reports that many American servicemen returned from Vietnam with these bracelets from the tribe, signifying friendship or respect.

Beginning with Hellfighters, which was released in November 1968, Wayne would wear the bracelet on his right wrist in every movie—including True Grit—as well as every day off-screen, and he was reportedly buried wearing the bracelet as well.

In Town​

Interestingly, Rooster’s more genteel “town” clothes for court closely resemble what Mattie’s doomed father, Frank Ross (John Pickard), was wearing the last time she saw him before he set off for Fort Smith with his eventual murderer, Tom Chaney (Jeff Corey).

Cogburn’s black brushed flannel frock coat has high-gorge peak lapels that roll over the top of three cloth-covered buttons at the waist, where a seam rings around the body of the coat with two decorative buttons on the back. The coat sleeves are roped at the shoulders and plain-cuffed with no buttons. The coat also has a single vent and straight flapped hip pockets positioned just below the waist seam.

Rather than a white dress shirt, Cogburn wears another of his flannel work shirts with a soft turndown collar, made from an ecru cloth. The long-sleeved shirt has a horizontal yoke across the front, placed about an inch above the openings of both chest pockets. As he isn’t wearing his vest, he wears his six-pointed marshal star pinned to the left pocket of his shirt. His shirt’s black plastic sew-through buttons heavily contrast agains the light cloth and coordinate with his black Western-style string bow tie.

24.jpg

Cogburn wears his same black hat, Civil War-era officer’s belt, tooled leather boots, and striped suspenders that make up part of his trail costume. Connected via brown leather hooks to buttons along the inside of his trouser waistband, the thick tan suspenders are striped with two wide yellow stripes on the outside, then two thin mint-blue stripes flanking a thin yellow stripe in the center.

The Guns​

“I never shot nobody I didn’t have to!” Rooster Cogburn testifies when asked how many people he’s shot in the nearly four years he’s been a Deputy U.S. Marshal, eventually answering that he’s killed a total of 23 men in the course of stopping them in flight or defending himself. Given the dangerous nature of his “business”, it’s no surprise that Cogburn is an expert with his firearms. “Well, a gun that’s unloaded and cocked ain’t good for nothin’,” Cogburn further testifies.

Rooster Cogburn’s primary sidearm is a Colt Single Action Army with a 4¾” barrel that was often referred to as the “Civilian”, “Gunfighter”, or “Quickdraw” model, with the later two appellations certainly applying in Rooster’s case. According to IMFDB, Rooster’s revolvers had unique grips manufactured by Maurice D. Scarlac using his own material called Catalin, designed with three shallow finger grooves on the left side to fit the middle, ring, and pinky fingers of Wayne’s right hand.

“Why do you keep that one chamber empty?” Mattie asks as she watches Rooster load his Peacemaker. “So I won’t shoot my foot off,” Rooster responds with a smirk, referring to the practice of keeping only five rounds loaded in a Single Action Army with an empty round under the hammer to prevent accidental discharge should something strike the hammer.

25.jpg

Colt introduced the “New Model Army Metallic Cartridge Revolving Pistol” in October 1873 alongside the powerful .45 Long Colt cartridge, eventually offering three standard barrel lengths (7½” Cavalry, 5½” Artillery, and the 4¾” described above), though both longer- and shorter-barreled variants were also produced. Though most common, the .45 Colt cartridge was one of more than 30 caliber options that would be offered on the Single Action Army by the time production of Colt’s first generation ended in 1940 with more than 350,000 made.

Beginning in 1877, Colt began manufacturing the Colt Frontier Six-Shooter variant, chambered for the .44-40 Winchester centerfire cartridge that could allow gunmen to reduce their ammunition needs to only one type of cartridge when loading their revolvers and rifles. According to IMFDB, at least two of Wayne’s screen-used Peacemakers in True Grit were chambered for .44-40, while the third was a .45. In total, he used three in True Grit:

• Colt Single Action Army, 4¾” barrel, 44-40 WCF, rented from Stembridge
  • Colt Single Action Army, 4¾” barrel, .45 LC, rented from Stembridge
  • Colt Single Action Army, 4¾” barrel (converted from 5½” model with “Bisley” grips), .44-40 WCF (converted from .45 LC), personally owned by John Wayne, serial number 309795
The latter piece, Duke’s own, has an interesting story as it had originally left the Colt factory in 1893 as a .45-caliber “Bisley Model” Single Action Army, distinctive for it’s bird’s head grips. The revolver would be rebuilt with a shorter, Quickdraw-length 4¾” barrel and converted to fire .44-40 Winchester rifle cartridges not unlike the “forty-four forty Colt’s revolver” described by Charles Portis in the book. According to Phil Spangenberger in the True West Magazine article “John Wayne and the Peacemaker”, the actor obtained this revolver from a studio props department and would first use it on screen in The War Wagon (1967) through most of the Westerns he made over the decade to follow before his death. Wayne reportedly liked the Scarlac-designed grips so much that he had personally “tea-stained” them at home for the yellowed ivory finish seen on screen.

26.jpg

Charles Portis’ novel describes Rooster’s saddle gun as “a Winchester repeating rifle”, not surprisingly chambered for the same .44-40 centerfire cartridge as fired by his Colt revolver. True Grit takes this description a step further by arming John Wayne with his usual Winchester Model 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine, a shortened lever-action rifle with an enlarged lever loop so that Duke could twirl the rifle by the loop with one hand. This habit, pioneered by Wayne with stuntman Yakima Canutt during the production of Stagecoach (1939), became a trademark for not only John Wayne but also Chuck Connors on ABC’s The Rifleman. Fellow TV Western gunman Steve McQueen also carried a Model 1892 with an enlarged lever loop, though this cut-down “Mare’s Leg” with its shortened barrel and stock was actually carried as his sidearm.

27.jpg

Though widespread in Westerns set during this era, the appearance of a Winchester Model 1892 is ultimately anachronistic, likely meant to stand in for the older model Winchester Model 1873, which shares many cosmetic similarities to the later Model ’92 and was notably nicknamed “The Gun That Won the West” for its one-time ubiquity on the Great Plains and beyond.

When it was introduced in 1892, this particular Winchester model was offered in a trio of popular centerfire calibers that could also be used for the Single Action Army revolver: .32-20, .38-40, and the venerable .44-40. By the time production ended in 1945 with more than one million Model ’92 rifles manufactured, some were also available in .25-20 Winchester and .218 Bee, though .44-40 WCF remained the most popular caliber.

Worth mentioning is that these Colts and Winchesters were popular in Hollywood productions due to their ability to use the “five-in-one” blank cartridge, so named for their cross-functionality in the .38-40, .44-40, and .45-caliber Colt revolvers and Winchester rifles frequently featured in early Westerns.

I believe at least two Winchester Model 1892 carbines were used by John Wayne in True Grit, one with a full carbine-length barrel and another modified with a slightly shorter barrel for certain action sequences. Wayne’s ability to fire the Winchester one-handed meant that he could use it and his Colt revolver akimbo when famously charging Lucky Ned’s gang on horseback while biting on the reins.

28.jpg

Another weapon of note from True Grit, is the “Colt’s Dragoon” that Mattie plans on carrying to capture Tom Chaney. Having belonged to her father, the massive .44-caliber percussion revolver is actually an 1847 model Colt Walker rather than the later and only somewhat smaller Colt Model 1848 Army percussion revolver also known as the “Dragoon”. Named in honor of his collaboration with Captain Samuel Hamilton Walker of the Texas Rangers, the Walker Colt was one of the first and most powerful weapons developed by legendary gunsmith Samuel Colt as a beefed-up evolution of his .36-caliber Colt Paterson folding-trigger revolver introduced a decade earlier. Walker had wanted a repeating handgun that would be powerful at close range and this weapon delivered as the largest black powder revolver at the time. Walker charged into battle during the Mexican-American War with two of his namesake revolvers, though he died in combat during the Battle of Huamantla in October 1847, not long after Colt completed the brief run of only 1,100 original Walker Colts produced.

Chaney himself takes up the revolver after he subdues Mattie, and it falls into the snake-filled mine shaft with him. While rescuing Mattie, Rooster also retrieves the revolver on her command. She, in turn, gifts it to Rooster with the hopes that “it might keep you alive!”

29.jpg

Four and a half pounds while unloaded, the Colt Walker’s hefty mass was one of several issues that Colt sought to amend with his next revolver, and the Colt Model 1848 Percussion Army Revolver weighed in closer to only four pounds, still firing the deadly .44-caliber ball ammunition albeit with a slightly shorter barrel, shorter cylinder to prevent overloading, and a loading lever latch to avoid accidental jams. A favorite of the U.S. Army’s mounted infantry or “Dragoon” regiments through the Civil War, the Model 1848 Army revolver was alternatively nicknamed the “Colt Dragoon”. The dialogue of Charles Portis’ novel implies this to be Mattie Ross’ actual firearm, and the 2010 Coen brothers-directed remake also places the correct Colt in Mattie’s hands.

What to Imbibe​

“Rooster Cogburn! Lord, I’ve heard some terrible things about him,” Mrs. Floyd (Edith Atwater) shares with Mattie, her latest boarder, adding that, “he loves to pull a cork, I know that!”

And does he ever.

30.jpg

The specific brand of Rooster’s seemingly bottomless pints of bourbon appears to be Jonathan Collier, a prop label dating back to at least the 1940s with an old-fashioned styling that has made it a standard of Western productions including, but certainly not limited to: Gunsmoke, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 3:10 to Yuma (1957), The Left-Handed Gun (1958), Hang ‘Em High (1968), Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969), Unforgiven (1992), and Deadwood.

Mattie implores him to while they’re on the trail, but he refuses, eventually drinking so much of his beloved Jonathan Collier whiskey that he tumbles from his horse.

Whiskey isn’t a surprising choice for a rugged westerner’s favored booze, and it also reflects the real John Wayne’s penchant for bourbon, specifically 101-proof Wild Turkey, drank neat, though his son Ethan clarified in a 2016 article for The Daily Beast that “if he wanted a drink, it was bourbon or tequila.”

“Conmemorativo tequila, that’s as fine a liquor as there is in the world,” Wayne himself was quoted as saying in a 1971 interview with Playboy. “Christ, I tell you it’s better than any whiskey; it’s better than any schnapps; it’s better than any drink I ever had in my life.” Sauza Conmemorativo Añejo is a 100% agave tequila that has been aged in toasted American oak casks for a smoky, woody taste and finish.

The Daily Beast‘s article also lists fine French wines, including Château Lafite Rothschild and Dom Pérignon vintage champagne, among Duke’s favorites… though it would be considerably out of character to see Rooster Cogburn popping the cork on a bottle of Dom while hot on the trail of Lucky Ned Pepper.

31.jpg

32.jpg

The braces aren't even close to being accurate:

j-6-jpg.571259

20-jpg.571468

And the bun belt backing isn't long enough:

32-jpg.571480

The holster doesn't appear to follow the same design as the cross strap is too low.

j-7-jpg.571260

21-jpg.571469

In the still the hammer thong to secure the gun in the holster looks like it's at the front, which is the usual placement as here on this John Wayne holster that resembles one he wore in True Grit:

5486749ce3f53d179f6bfb413b9a2fee.jpg

This still from the film shows it more clearly:

3-john-wayne-in-true-grit-silver-screen.jpg

This is Wayne's holster in The Undefeated (1969), which looks to be the exact same one he used in True Grit, also showing the more usual design with a simple loop at the front of the holster:

c682e21bdc6dbf85ec4725dde6387606.jpg

There's no leather strap visible on the side at all.

On the figure it looks like it was designed to function more like this:

A6662BA8-3F40-4C5A-BA0D-B0DFA6CBBC98.thumb.jpeg.3b54a34c9b45eab1fb265047cb874b7f.jpeg

So yet another instance of KP/IS not really bothering with accuracy.

The prototype:

KP John Wayne 7.jpg

In these two shots it may be an illusion of the angle of photography, but the right hand shot looks more correct:

KP John Wayne 10.jpg

Attachments

• A6662BA8-3F40-4C5A-BA0D-B0DFA6CBBC98.thumb.jpeg.3b54a34c9b45eab1fb265047cb874b7f.jpeg
    A6662BA8-3F40-4C5A-BA0D-B0DFA6CBBC98.thumb.jpeg.3b54a34c9b45eab1fb265047cb874b7f.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5
Having owned kaustic products in the past I continue to be disappointed. This has a John Belushi likeness that I can’t unsee and poor paint work

He's due to be delivered Friday.

This is going to be an interesting one, as I don't know how I should be feeling.

The reviews indicate he looks better in person, though the clothes will need to be wrestled into shape. Especially that bulky vest, which will dictate which look he'll end up in.

Rooster's here.

First thing that struck me was how old fashioned the box was. Not even the luxury shoe box style most third party companies use, but an end flap that you have to open carefully so as not to cause damage. I usually pry that type open by sliding an metal ruler under the cardboard and gently levering.

Then upon revealing the plastic tray, the re-use from the Deluxe version is immediately evident by the empty spaces for the coffee pot and mug.

Then we get the figure itself.

First impressions of the sculpt are favourable. The detail and paintwork is better than it appeared on camera. It's not shiny, glossy or cheap looking, and the same goes for the hands too.

The hat is also a rigid plastic, and not the soft rubbery kind Thunder Toys used for the Western Ghost Rider I received recently.

The belly and thighs are padded, and it's likely the latter that made the trousers look funny in the reviews.

At first I thought the buttonholes on the coat were fake, but I was able to push the point of a pair of tweezers through them. So in fact they are functional and very tightly tailored.

The Winchester is a bit odd. The stock and fore grip are plastic - the hard almost translucent kind. The metal parts have been so heavily weathered that they look rusty.

I instantly thought of Alice Cooper's 'Desperado'....

🎶

Tell me where the hell I'm going
'Let my bones fall in the dust
Can't you hear that ghost that's calling
As my Colt begins to rust
In the dust

🎶

Rooster's Colt .45 is actually very good. Sharp details and well cast. It really does look the part, and isn't at all rusty like the Winchester. Along with the grips it's improved immensely since the prototype.

The base is a bit overkill, and more like a pedestal. The magnets are strong enough that you can hold the figure and the base doesn't drop off, yet he doesn't feel very secure left alone standing on it. I mean, he will stand on it, but will rock at the slightest touch. Accidentally knock him too hard and he'll topple. :panic:

You can't beat a good, old fashioned crotch grabber. I wouldn't recommend this style for anyone living in areas prone to earthquakes. :lol

It also looks quite cheap and tacky since the wood flooring looks like a piece of paper glued on. The gold plastic 'JW' buckle-like plate on the front pulls out, so they can insert a new one for different actors/characters.

There's a lot of futzing and checking to do, but I'm not at all disappointed yet. I may be once I start to try and wrestle with the clothing, but there really is a lot to like here that I didn't appreciate from the reviews.

Back