Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a tyrone magnus scoop on youtube from an hour ago, apparently kennedy is rumored to be getting the axe at Disney following this box office bomb.

We will put that right next to the rumor she was retiring after Dial of Destiny was coming out, and next to the one that she would be fired after Rise of Skywalker, and ,after the one that said she would be fired after Solo, etc etc. There is a Kathleen Kennedy is going to be fired/retire rumor almost monthly now.

I thought it was really cool to watch Indy (big spoiler)
Spoiler Spoiler:

I’m ok with the villain surviving the train hit to the face all Indy movies have their...
well-were-waiting-sarcastic.gif

lol

Even if the rest of the movie was a total waste (I didn't think so, but can understand all the issues others are expressing), that little "20 minute Indy movie" opener I thoroughly enjoyed - the authenticity, the Indy smirks and looks they somehow captured, the silly noose hijinks.

It was one third grounded Raiders, one third bombastic TOD and one third silly-jokey TLC (even had a castle.) No, CGI not perfect, but I will loooove watching a 4k YT video of that in future.

It's probably a more fitting send off for Indy to me than the rest of the movie - seeing my Indy in some fun but sorta gritty action one last time.
Agreed. Much like I actually kinda enjoy the opening 20 minutes of Indy 4 (before it descends into outright camp), the opening of this movie is something I'll definitely have no problem rewatching again and again.

And just thinking back on that sequence now makes me want to go see the movie again.

Agreed. Much like I actually kinda enjoy the opening 20 minutes of Indy 4 (before it descends into outright camp), the opening of this movie is something I'll definitely have no problem rewatching again and again.

And just thinking back on that sequence now makes me want to go see the movie again.
Seeing that opening on the big screen again is the only reason I'm going again mid-week. It just "felt" very Indy for me - brutal and gritty in places, a bit silly and funny ion others, tense and fast paced/pulse pounding.

Even the gun truck going over the cliff in Raiders didn't look great (don't get me started on the tank/cliff in TLC,) so a slightly CGI-ish train doesn't bug me hugely.

As I was saying lol

All Indy movies have their feats of impossible near death escapes but DOD should’ve at least given him a metal plate, disfigured him!
Yeah even my wife leaned over when Voller reappeared and said "not even a scar?" I was kinda thinking Voller would basically look like Stephen Hawking after that.

Smacked out of the ball park by a road sign at 65mph - pretty much every bone pulverized and instant death rather than even a scar, but yeah it's Indy I guess.

Even if it's true an Kennedy got the boot finally it won't matter unless the movies Disney makes in the future rise in quality and are actually good. Even if I had fun with Indy 5 it still flopped as it didn't make it's money back.

Sadly, but exactly as expected, the numbers are in and it's an unmitigated disaster.

So clearly, the tracking numbers were very accurate and "impossible to fail" now has the potential to be the greatest loss in cinema history... It needs about 900M worldwide just to break even and it's looking like it will do less that 500 :( To put that in perspective, in 2008 KOTCS opened at $100M (not adjusted for inflation), and finish at $790M. This opened with 60M; do the math, it ain't looking good.

It's highly unlikely a miracle will happen either as the main demographic is over 45's and the younger folk just don't have any interest in watching an 80 year acting like a 30 year old - a big difference with Avatar 2 as an example, the 15-28 made up the vast majority of viewers and repeat viewings.

In one week we'll definitely know if it goes down in history... for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah I mentioned a while ago that I just don't see there being enough interest out there in another Indy movie, regardless of how good it was. Audience tastes have moved on from these type of quaint, old-fashioned adventure movies.

And the novelty of watching Harrison Ford take on his old iconic roles has probably worn off by this point as well.

Fast and dirty:

I really liked it. Much more than I thought I would. I can't believe it.

Mangold really delivered on an impossible task. The first 20 mins were great -- how I wish they made a few more adventures in the 80's. I wish they did a little more on the train -- I was hoping for a really great train fight sequence (like the one in Mission Impossible's trailer right before) -- but it never really panned out. And after that, even more impressive, the rest of the movie worked for me. As I was watching, just as I started getting impatient, they threw up an action sequence. So it was structured very well for the most part. The violence was pretty hard core for an Indy movie -- I loved it. And because of that, it did have a much more "grounded" feel (at least until the end). Mads was great as hoped. I love that he was this dark parallel to Indy, also wearing a satchel and even using Indy's original name, "Dr. Smith". I also love that Mads got to represent every previous villain -- sometimes wearing a black trenchcoat (Toht), wearing gray (Donovan), a white jacket and hat (Belloq), or Nazi uniform (Vogel). And yes, I even liked Fleabag for the most part. I really liked that she was treacherous in the beginning -- she was closer to Belloq then Indy.

The stuff that didn't work for me:
1) what the hell was all that CIA nonsense about?...
2) that crazy ending that went on way too long for a literal "punch" line...
4) the McGuffin. Just dumb. And uninteresting.
3) Sadly, old man Indy. I went with it, but as much as I enjoy Ford, he's just way too old to be "doing it again". I still hate that he made this film, despite that Mangold saves his ass in doing it. I think there's mention somewhere in the movie about "time" and "knowing when to quit"... but clearly that golden advice was not headed where it was needed the most.

There's a lot of ticky tacky stuff that wasn't great, but all in all, I liked it a lot better than Crystal Skull, and to be honest I really can't tell if I prefer this or Last Crusade at this point. I need to see this again to really know how it settles... but even 'maybe' considering it for #3 is HUGE!!!

Last edited:
Fast and dirty:

Mangold really delivered on an impossible task. The first 20 mins were great -- how I wish they made a few more adventures in the 80's. I wish they did a little more on the train -- I was hoping for a really great train fight sequence (like the one in Mission Impossible's trailer right before) -- but it never really panned out. And after that, even more impressive, the rest of the movie worked for me. As I was watching, just as I started getting impatient, they threw up an action sequence. So it was structured very well for the most part. The violence was pretty hard core for an Indy movie -- I loved it. And because of that, it did have a much more "grounded" feel (at least until the end). Mads was great as hoped. I love that he was this dark parallel to Indy, also wearing a satchel and even using Indy's original name, "Dr. Smith". I also love that Mads got to represent every previous villain -- sometimes wearing a black trenchcoat (Toht), wearing gray (Donovan), a white jacket and hat (Belloq), or Nazi uniform (Vogel). And yes, I even liked Fleabag for the most part. I really liked that she was treacherous in the beginning -- she was closer to Belloq then Indy.

3) Sadly, old man Indy. I went with it, but as much as I enjoy Ford, he's just way too old to be "doing it again". I still hate that he made this film, despite that Mangold saves his ass in doing it. I think there's mention somewhere in the movie about "time" and "knowing when to quit"... but clearly that golden advice was not headed where it was needed the most.

There's a lot of ticky tacky stuff that wasn't great, but all in all, I liked it a lot better than Crystal Skull, and to be honest I really can't tell if I prefer this or Last Crusade at this point. I need to see this again to really know how it settles... but even 'maybe' considering it for #3 is HUGE!!!
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Fast and dirty:

You forgot to mention that you guessed Sallah sung that song again outside indys apartment. Freaky, and it certainly wasn’t needed.

Crusade is better, just for Connery alone. He was hilarious

I'm happy for those that enjoyed it, but I'm still baffled by the "passes" many are giving it because "at least it's better than KOTCS"

One thing's got nothing to do with the other. ****, is ****. I've never understood this whole comparison thing we are seeing all to often these days; "Well they did it, so we should be able to as well."

Not sure whatever has happened to "lead by example" - in all aspects of life.

New things that irk me the more I'm left with it's memory, and added to all the other things I've previously mentioned:

Mads smacked in the face and not even a scratch - I might have bought it if he had something on his face - but that was next level dumb.

The horrible deepfake stuff and video game Indy running on the train.

He's framed for murder and it's just forgotten about at the end????

The horrible CGI on the horse, tuk tuk's - pretty much all of it.

The kid flying a plane (Short Round did a car, but all there is, is an accelerator and a brake - I can buy into that).

All those people killed at the end by the Nazi's but that doesn't change history????

I wasn't a fan of KOTCS, but regardless, I'm calling this **** too. No doubt history will remember it that way too after the abysmal box office and limp to scathing coverage in the trades.

Last edited:
The kid flying a plane (Short Round did a car, but all there is, is an accelerator and a brake - I can buy into that).
Spoiler Spoiler:

Hello my friends, I have read the numerous comments and autopsy reports with some interest. My family and I saw the film yesterday, no expectation and with an open mind. We all enjoyed the show, it was entertaining, that is what it is all about. The icing on my cake is that I spent the time with my girls, what more do I need or want....nothing in my book that is a good place to be. Yes Indy did crack the whip one more time.....Enjoy the show.

Hello my friends, I have read the numerous comments and autopsy reports with some interest. My family and I saw the film yesterday, no expectation and with an open mind. We all enjoyed the show, it was entertaining, that is what it is all about. The icing on my cake is that I spent the time with my girls, what more do I need or want....nothing in my book that is a good place to be. Yes Indy did crack the whip one more time.....Enjoy the show.
You are an absolute breath of fresh air. I'm happy you had a good time with good company. Sometimes I think we all get caught up in such political nonsense that we forget how to have a good time. Cheers mate, you made my day :)

Back