Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortune and Glory my friends, It shall be escapism entertainment something we all need from time to time.
I agree with the sentiment but have also found myself looking for the exit about 1/3 into the movie or show as I was not being entertained, e.g. TLJ, Kenobi series, ROS, BoBF, etc. And it's different when you're watching a "bad" movie about characters you have no connection with.

We just watched some Jason Bateman flick about a Jewish family sitting Shiva with over the father's death, and that was just a paint-by-numbers, poorly written and contrived movie I had never heard of, no big deal. When they're characters that you care about you tend to get angry because their former "glory" is being besmirched unnecessarily. Other people's mileage may vary.

So I just rewatched the series in anticipation of the new film....

There are only 2 good Indy films in my estimation.... I think the reason the others are bad is very specific. I will explain below.

ROTLA: 10/10
TOD : 5/10
TLC: 8/10
KOTCS: 2/10

So here is what decides the rating for me.

Suspension of disbelief.

Spielberg himself once said, that if you get them hooked early, you can pull of a crazy plot resolution and no one will bat and eye. I believe he was referring to the end of Jaws, which is quite over the top compared to the novel and rest of the film.

Both sub par Indy films venture into the over the top/impossible action sets very early in the film, then repeat that mistake over and over.....they are never grounded, and have hardly any reality based action.

In the better films, this is not the case , by the time we reach the end of the film, the supernatural over the top resolution is more palatable, and as Spielberg says, we are takin in and will accept it.

By contrast, the constant assault of the implausible in TOD from the very start ( and non stop repetitive nonsense in KOTCS) just turns us off to the plot entirely, and we are totally aghast at what we are expected to accept as "the possible".......

Unfortunately, this does not bode well for DOD because most of what we will see, is a very old man, doing very impossible things.

We can accept little snippets of the unlikely or implausible in any film, but I think the majority of people are turned off when the impossible become the norm for the vast majority of any film that is supposed to be somewhat reality based.

For me, I have found this to be the reason alot of films fail to be enjoyable these days.

I agree with the sentiment but have also found myself looking for the exit about 1/3 into the movie or show as I was not being entertained, e.g. TLJ, Kenobi series, ROS, BoBF, etc. And it's different when you're watching a "bad" movie about characters you have no connection with.

We just watched some Jason Bateman flick about a Jewish family sitting Shiva with over the father's death, and that was just a paint-by-numbers, poorly written and contrived movie I had never heard of, no big deal. When they're characters that you care about you tend to get angry because their former "glory" is being besmirched unnecessarily. Other people's mileage may vary.
Hello my friend, I agree with your words. My stance is you have to see much to know what is best for you. Presently sitting in a bar working my way through a long list of strong Belgian beers starting with the strongest at 12%. Today is our best day....be lucky.

Last edited:
That was damn funny. "We better get this Doowhacky back to this Henry fella" Hope the real movie is slightly better. High expectations I know! Will find out soon

Last edited:
Ford needs to shut up.

This is Wor-Gar to remind Ford to SHUT UP!

NI8sMk.gif

Ford's "I don't give a $#*@" attitude I believe is genuine, which always makes his enthusiasm over a project feel hollow. Perhaps he would have been the same not being wealthy and famous. But when he tried to sell TFA and now DoD (hilarious the acronym comes out that way) I just cannot accept it comes from a true place. If Ford were promoting his paycheck, that is emotion I would trust.

Ford's "I don't give a $#*@" attitude I believe is genuine, which always makes his enthusiasm over a project feel hollow. Perhaps he would have been the same not being wealthy and famous. But when he tried to sell TFA and now DoD (hilarious the acronym comes out that way) I just cannot accept it comes from a true place. If Ford were promoting his paycheck, that is emotion I would trust.
It's come to that point with James Cameron too, at least with regard to him shilling for films that he didn't direct. I almost have to wonder if he does multiple takes when gushing over movies like Genysis and Dark Fate until finally recording one with a straight face.

I grew up admiring the hell out of Ford, like many others.

I do have to say, I'm a little tired of the forced selling of these "products". I mean, c'mon, none of those involved can actually think Crystal Skull was a great time at the movies. It just seems so painfully obivious that its all just about making money, and this latest publicity blitz is more of that. Fortune, undoubtedly. But glory? I dunno, I think those days are past.

Everyone has become Arnold Schwarzenegger.
At least Arnie still has a bit of spark to him, despite the obvious b.s.

I guess. Ford seems like a tired, bored and broken record. He's got no need for the money, let's be real. Same goes for John Carpenter. The guy was talented. Now he's a shell of his former self, unashamedly sold out. It's sad.

Back