Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was Logan?
And Ford v Ferrari which was amazing but yes, you never know when any given director will surprise you with something terrible. Also as good as Logan was it still had a ridiculously silly ending with all the fat kids running through the forest and the main bad guy getting killed by grass or whatever.

Last edited:
And I actually thought that The Wolverine was pretty bad but IIRC he complained about studio interference which was one of the reasons he wanted another crack at the character with Logan so maybe the former wasn't totally his fault.

Ford V Ferrari was really, really good. Yes, Mangold deserves a lot of credit, but a great script and a great cast are essential.

Wolverine is my favorite super hero, and Japan is my favorite country, so to see both done dirty in an overly stupid, dumbed-down schlock-fest really hurt my inner 12 year old. Just use the Claremont/Miller books as a storyboard and shoot that, don't add stupid ass nonsense like giant cyborg samurai robots. I hate Hollywood.

I never watched Logan. I had enough. Too burnt out on the whole thing, and I've already read all the "imaginary/elseworlds" "Last" Wolverine stories so many times....no need to watch a movie of it.

Neil Marshall directed Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday, The Centurion, some really good GOT episodes in the early seasons etc etc but he also directed the terrible 2019 Hellboy, which barely resembled his usual work. An awful movie that was, according to the director, ruined by the studio.
I'm not sure how many of Mangold's movies I've seen, but I have seen Ford Vs Ferrari and loved it. But that's no guarantee he'll do well with Indy 5. Who knows how much interference he'll get from Lucasfilm. Who knows how much KK will be looking over his shoulder.
Some directors she seems to let do as they want and others perhaps not so much.
In any case, I'll give this movie a chance. When it's on D+.

I mean they could just, like...not make Indiana Jones anymore when Ford finishes up..........:rotfl.
.........and as others have pointed out, Ford should have decided he was finished after TLC lol...

I know right. And it's not like he was some pre-established literary character like Bond or another iconic character from a novel or comic book that invites multiple interpretations. It's a very specific screen character written for a very specific time in cinema and style of filmmaking. It's like saying who's going to play the next Martin Riggs, John McClane, or John Wick. How about no one? If you want to go back to that style of adventure then invent a new character like they did with Brendan Fraser in The Mummy.

(And yes I know that this take is about as unoriginal as Hollywood itself but every so often it bears repeating, lol.)
Hollywood had the chance to do exactly that with Uncharted but instead of a top-flight adaption they gave us The Misadventures Of Holland And Wahlberg. :slap

A quest to find Sean Patrick Flannery might not be a bad Indy adventure.
who.gif

.........and as others have pointed out, Ford should have decided he was finished after TLC lol...

No way!!

He should have hung up the hat after the brief segment from Young Indy.

Even though it was a stupid episode, he looked really cool with the beard. Man, that was such a thrill to see Indy for what we all thought was "the very last time....."

Indiana Jones - Young Indy.jpg

No way!!

He should have hung up the hat after the brief segment from Young Indy.

Even though it was a stupid episode, he looked really cool with the beard. Man, that was such a thrill to see Indy for what we all thought was "the very last time....."

View attachment 614403
Indy did indeed look terrific in that episode, but I could never understand why Mr Ford wasted his time with such a dull, silly, unworthy outing.

The unbelievably dumb moment where he plays a note on the sax and somehow knows it will knock roof snow onto the bad guys almost makes it worthwhile that "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" came along to render it no longer the last onscreen moment of Indiana Jones.
I have absolutely no recollection of this whatsoever lol...

I think there's a huge factor a lot of people are missing with Mangold - he writes most of his work, and normally that only involves a story credit or based on a book credit by someone else.

Indy 5 has (at least) 2 other active writers AND the idiotic Lucasfilm story group hacks that everything needs to be passed through.

Couple this with KK's lunacy, and Fleabag attached - hence my apprehension.

If he was given carte blanche like Gilroy on Andor - I might have some hope. Saying that, I has zero hope for Andor and that turned out to be a cracker.

Who knows?

I had a daydream of how awesome the opening sequence will be today.

Starting with a bang. Indy bashing Nazi heads!!!

This is my most anticipated movie next year.

Back