1/6 Hot Toys - TMS015 - The Mandalorian: Din Djarin + The Child set ( DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in for two of these. We don't know how good the show will be in the future, but the first two seasons were pretty magical. I haven't liked Star Wars this much since 1983. I even kinda regret passing on the remnant stormies now despite not being a big fan of the execution of the figures. I'm bummed that we aren't getting figures of more of the characters, as HT seems to be in bit of a bad place right now.

Yeah I just took the plunge and ordered the Deluxe version. There's no guarantee that they'll ever release the season 2 version (with or without the hover bike, but given HT's track record the bike isn't likely to actually happen), and we've seen already there are fans willing to 3D print and sell accessories to make his costume more s2 compliant. So even though I'm not crazy about the shirt and pants colour at least this way I get most of his weapons and The Bebe lol

I'm having to stop myself from ordering the non-Beskar version though. I'm holding out hope that they'll announce a Bo-Katan and Cara, now that they've announced a Moff Gideon. Fingers crossed.

I was thinking the same thing, but there is a part of me that can?t look past the inaccuracy of the flight suit. Even those it comes with a ton of great stuff. I?m torn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do u think is wrong with the flight suit? I don't feel like digging through a whole bunch of posts.

I'm in for this one anyway - too bad if they don't follow through on the speeder; I would have picked that up as well.

I'm having to stop myself from ordering the non-Beskar version though. I'm holding out hope that they'll announce a Bo-Katan and Cara, now that they've announced a Moff Gideon. Fingers crossed.

Haha V1 is a terrific fig. I'll enjoy having both. And IG-11, if he's ever released after the delays. Yeah, HT probably isn't in a great place right now re manufacturing. Or something. Read the IM threads.

Whenever they get around to doing a Pascal sculpt, or Cara, I hope HT doesn't *&^%% it up.

What do u think is wrong with the flight suit? I don't feel like digging through a whole bunch of posts.

I'm in for this one anyway - too bad if they don't follow through on the speeder; I would have picked that up as well.

It?s not the right color, at least to me it?s not. On the show, it?s brown, on the figure it?s gray.

Seriously considering just dying it myself to make it more brown. I was watching a video on YouTube of someone removing his costume to get at the fatsuit underneath and it looks like everything is just held together by velcro. I'll have to look up some tutorials on immersion dyeing to see if its worth the effort.

It?s not the right color, at least to me it?s not. On the show, it?s brown, on the figure it?s gray.

I didn't think it was that off in person. It's just like the show where it's a real deep chocolate brown but under certain lighting, it appears grayer. The flightsuit on my 1:1 is the same way. In person, it's most definitely brown but every pic I've taken of it makes it look gray.

But here's my shot on the left with studio lighting compared to cheRock's who shot his outside. His looks closer to color I associate Din wearing.

F310C8A9-1DAA-45B3-BB2E-E3F44B2BD522.jpeg

I'm wondering if the confusion is the shade of gray - or taupe, really, and what we see on screen is getting affected by lighting and filming. Like reading about filming the Hobbit films, how the cameras would bleed the reds out, so all the actors had to have extra red makeup not to look washed out.

My Gentle Giant bust has a grey undersuit - like a pure grey mix of black and white only, pretty much. Going over a "sunlit" Mando shot, my photo color pick tool thinks the undersuit shade is a kind of taupe (grey/brown mix):

Mando_undersuit.jpg

Which dovetails with a comment from
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/mando-mandalorian-undersuit-bodysuit-fabric-parts.306601/
The Hot Toys Figure for both of his costumes are also good references to look at although it does confuse me a little bit. His undersuit for the new costume is very clearly brown but the description on sideshow says it is a dark gray. Can somebody confirm this, or at least give their best guess as to whether his undersuit is brown or dark gray? I don't want to start working on one color and then realize that I'm doing the wrong one. Thanks!

the actual color if you want to be specific is pantone 440c, a purplish gray, but thats only for the beskar version, the pre beskar is just dark gray

Then the costumer in the Gallery mentions overdyeing sweaters (think those were from Amazon). I think they used a shade of grey with a lot of red, or orange - and worse, there may be multiple versions of the undersuit that are from different dye lots.

That kind of thing IMO - once u start dealing with shades and color tones and not knowing what info a company is provided with, plus what we see onscreen probably isn't natural lighting...I tried testing a screen grab from the Gallery - fluorescent lights - and the program pick tool still tags this as "grey" with a lot of red....

Mando_costume_color.jpg

and a picture lightened up only....

Mando_undersuitcolor.jpg

Tho to me the original from that episode looks chocolate brown, not what I think of as "grey/gray". Worse, I think in Season 1, Episode 1 to me Mando looked pretty comfortable - gleaming armor, new thigh plate - and then maybe as the season goes on he was supposed to look more weathered. (HASBRO apparently went *&^% it and painted the undersuit chocolate brown for their Beskar version.)

So I'm not gonna worry about it; I mean a company would hafta decide between actual costume accuracy, which they probably have access to; or try to guess what consumers think they see, with a a color that shifts depending on the light. I mean, it's not like a red where u can tell pretty fast if it is more orange red than blue red. Do think the Beskar would pop more against a more pure chocolate brown, but's that's because the red and blacks in the dyes would get boosted to make more of a chocolate shade. Taupe can look more grey, more brown, or greenish, depending. Except on set, bet everything is fussily hand-dyed, and no way HT is gonna do that.

Seriously considering just dying it myself to make it more brown. I was watching a video on YouTube of someone removing his costume to get at the fatsuit underneath and it looks like everything is just held together by velcro. I'll have to look up some tutorials on immersion dyeing to see if its worth the effort.
Yeah, that's probably the way to go, since maybe/probably HT went with what they think of as "gray" - some stock color dye, without doing the toning to make taupe.

It still boggles my mind that SS didn't sweep in and start cranking out aliens, droids, and creatures. Star Wars is fundamentally built on reuse; one mold would inevitably see use elsewhere. SS can't compete with HT in many things, but if they could have offered max $200 creature figures that HT would never touch, I genuinely think they'd have had a winning product line on their hands.

Supplement this with display environments that are smaller and more affordable for the average collector and you'd have two, integral lines of products that would easily sell alongside HT. Couple environments with promos (i.e. buy HT Mando, recieve 30% off of Navarro door environment), and they'd probably make a new name for themselves in the product arena.

This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe getting the Disney license on just the 'big toys' is more affordable/practical for Sideshow? Given that HT completely dominates the 1:6 license? Sideshow may have just decided it makes more sense to focus on the statues and PF, etc.

Matt is correct.

They couldn't hit the guarantee by making sixth scale figures. The way the license works is, it costs $500k (probably more). Sideshow has to pay $100k up front, and the rest comes from royalties on units sold. 10-20% of each item is paid to Disney to pay off the balance of the contract. After that, the royalty is still paid but at least SSC doesn't 'owe' Disney anything.

They knew from selling Greedos, Rebel Fleet Troopers, Hammerheads, Gamorreans, etc. that they don't sell as well as Lukes, Hans, Bobas etc. So, going into a new contract under Disney with higher terms, it becomes obvious that selling 5,000 $250 figures is going to satisfy the deal more efficiently than selling 8,333 $150 figures.

On top of that, rising production costs, and higher royalty rates makes each figure sold less profitable to Sideshow. Understand that a $150 figure won't make Sideshow much money, considering Disney probably gets at least 15% of that, and the manufacturing cost is $75. That means Sideshow gets $50 per unit sold. But with a $250 figure, they get $87. You multiply that by thousands and that $37 makes a huge difference. That math is why they focus on life-size items, statues, and other big ticket items. Why sell 10,000 $50 items when you can sell 1,000 $500 items? it's much less overhead ... less shipping and warehousing costs. It's simply less expensive overall.

Suggesting that they should just make aliens and environments instead of main characters is ignoring the fact that those segments don't sell that well, making it harder to satisfy their guarantee, and ignores the fact that Sideshow simply can't make figures for less than what they are charging now.

Last edited:
The show has a lot of colour grading over it too. Look at Mando's OG armour it looks more red than brown on screen, but behind the scenes its definitely brown. Could be the same thing with this fabric.

I was actually glad when I saw HT changed the color up a bit as I felt the original prototype was too brown and didn?t give off that ?it can be brown in some lighting and gray in others? I think the final product does this very well.

I sold my video card. I pre ordered this guy. This is the way.

And now, since my luck is so awesome. They will announce the season 2 mando with bespar spear and dark saber. You?re welcome guys.

I sold my video card. I pre ordered this guy. This is the way.

And now, since my luck is so awesome. They will announce the season 2 mando with bespar spear and dark saber. You?re welcome guys.

Check the thread on the S2 Beskar upgrade and eliminate any risk of buyers remorse!

Check the thread on the S2 Beskar upgrade and eliminate any risk of buyers remorse!

I'm just going to end up buying the S2 Mandalorian figure anyway. I imagine it will be up for preorder soon after the Beskar deluxe is mostly shipped. Nice that someone is offering an alternative though.

Even if they reveal a season 2 version soon it won't release before 2022. Can always sell this version and upgrade later.

Any time the flightsuit looks brown its likely warm lighting or filming during magic hour when the sun is low.

I always thought this picture showed the color of the flightsuit pretty clearly...

571800.jpg

And of course here is that warm low orange sun making it look somewhat brownish...

huc-8738732982398320n.jpg

The flight suit should have been a mix of grey and brown, I think the production color is a bit too grey. We have seen plenty of examples where it is more taupe than a cold grey. Of course it may look totally different in person and the color subtleties are more apparent.

Back