Hot Toys- The Watchmen, Silk Spectre 'Official' Spec + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If everyone cancels, then we won't get any others for sure. They won't think it's profitable to keep going.

I'm keeping her - I love the character enough by herself, and I have my DC direct Rorschach to pose her with if all else fails (and if all else fails, I'll likely get DC Direct's Comedian and Manhattan, too).

Supposedly, the Comedian is still on the way (per the Comedian thread).

Yes, you do have a point there, and it's defenitely something I thought about too.
But overall, I think the Watchmen line isn't going to a profitable line overall, because they handled the announcements and character choices wrong.

It's okay they started with Silk, I've no problem with that, but after her announcement I was expecting to see some other announcements pretty fast. They even could have announced 2 figs like with Mars Attacks or Terminator Salvation.
But besides her we don't even have an official announcement for other characters. The only thing we have are some pics of SDCC of the Comedian.

I still believe he's coming though, but they should have given us more info about when, or maybe some "behind the scenes" pics like they sometimes do. Or given some info about them updating the headsculpt or whatever, like they did with Marcus Wright.

I'm still hoping to see more of HT's Watchmen and that's another reason I didn't cancel Silk yet. I'm hoping they'll give us an announcement for the Comedian and hopefully another character by the time she releases.
I'm hoping she'll turn out great and to see some amazing in hand pics that make me want to keep my pre-order.

But at the same time I have to be realistic. I've only started collecting Hot Toys since last february. I'm only a student so I can buy maybe 3 of them a year, if I'm lucky. And there are a lot of other Hot Toys figures I would like to have. And most of them have better price/accessory proportions than Silk Spectre. I would hate to feel regrets about missing out on one of those figs to get a fig I'm not entirely confident about.

Therefore I'm thinking of canceling my pre-order. I think that although I would be happy with Silk Spectre, she would look rather lonely and out of place on my shelf real soon. I'm afraid I'm going to have regrets about not getting another figure instead, better suiting of my collection, and end up not liking Silk Spectre anymore.
I feel that I can better use the money I'm saving right now, for another figure. One of which I'm more confident, than of this one.

But, as I said before, I'm waiting to see some in hand pics (and hopefully a new announcement) before my final decision...
Although honestly, the way I'm feeling about her right now, those pics have to be really something to make me want to keep this pre-order :(

It's just too bad Hot Toys didn't make some better business decisions regarding the Watchmen line :monkey2

And this isn't an attack on your comment, Josette. Just the way I'm feeling about this figure right now :peace :)

I really doubt there will be any more Watchmen after the Comedian and Ror. Watchmen figures just don't sell that well when compared to other comic properties. Besides Hot Toys has never been known to finish a line completely. Add the two up and I predict 3 characters from the line (which is pretty much the HT standard).

I'm hoping people are reading too much into things. I don't think the Silk Spectre figure has been a bust. It looks like she has sold out at Sideshow and some other sites.

I'm hoping people are reading too much into things. I don't think the Silk Spectre figure has been a bust. It looks like she has sold out at Sideshow and some other sites.

Probably due to a lower edition size. The Battle-Damaged Mark III also sold out but do you honestly think they sold in the same numbers? Hot Toys has their eyes set on Iron Man 2 and the Terminator franchise next year....I really doubt that HT is planning for Dr. Manhattan or Night Owl II. Watchmen fans may not like it but that is the truth.

Probably due to a lower edition size. The Battle-Damaged Mark III also sold out but do you honestly think they sold in the same numbers? Hot Toys has their eyes set on Iron Man 2 and the Terminator franchise next year....I really doubt that HT is planning for Dr. Manhattan or Night Owl II. Watchmen fans may not like it but that is the truth.

Hot Toys shouldn't have bothered with the line if they couldn't release more than 1 or 2 figures - and they shouldn't have dropped the ball the way they did. They didn't just drop the ball - they threw it against a concrete wall, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm glad I'll have Silk Spectre. I honestly don't care much about the Comedian (at least not like I do Rorschach and Nite Owl), but it was a stupid decision to acquire the license if they weren't going to do anything with it. And disappointing to people who are fans of Watchmen who were looking forward to getting them.

The one thing I'm really sick and tired of in this hobby, especially with 12 inch figure companies, is the lack of more than one or two characters from a license.

Hot Toys shouldn't have bothered with the line if they couldn't release more than 1 or 2 figures - and they shouldn't have dropped the ball the way they did. They didn't just drop the ball - they threw it against a concrete wall, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, Nite Owl II should have been the first character. They were on the right track with Silk Spectre II as she had not been done by DC Direct, but she is a woman, which of course means 'doll' which in turn mean 'gay' to a certain number of male collectors. The further irony though is that with her outfit she meets that usual Asian hypersexual female figure thing (like Cy Girls or Triad Toys) that apparent sells well.

The Comedian was their biggest mistake since the $100 DCD version would be good enough for many and was sure to have lower sales. Hopefully as I said HT just is overwhelmed by its large number of projects and will get these figures out in time.

Night Owl II?

The Comedian and Rorschach are the most popular characters and should have been made first.

Visually, Ozy has the best looking costume.

I doubt Hot Toys has shelved the entire line, at least they won't do it until they get the sales figures for Silk Spectre and Comedian. As I understand, the Terminator Salvation and The Spirit line didn't sell up to expectation but were still completed. Fingers crossed Hot Toys does the same for the Watchmen.

Night Owl II?

The Comedian and Rorschach are the most popular characters and should have been made first.

Visually, Ozy has the best looking costume.

Ozymandias seems to be less popular than Nite Owl II, and even if you're not as crazy about Nite Owl II, when you have Silk Spectre and Rorschach, Nite Owl II is a must, IMO.

Personally, I love Dan. He's my third favorite character in Watchmen, and I like him much, much more than The Comedian. I also think Patrick Wilson gave the best performance after Haley.

A lot of Chicken Little Syndrome in here. You guys are turning presumptions into fact.

My money still says we'll see Nite Owl II and at least 4 figures.

Last edited:
I'm cynical due to experience. The wait time on The Comedian specs has been ridiculous, given the figure was at SDCC three months ago, and the timing of the line wasn't great to begin with - Silk Spectre wasn't even announced until...June, I think? Now that the movie's not in theaters and has been out on dvd for three months, they're no longer striking while the iron is hot, which doesn't usually bode well for 4+ figures.

If we get 4 figures, there will be no one happier about that than me. But if I get my hopes up in cases like these I usually end up very disappointed, so I'll keep my chicken little syndrome. *shrug*

isn't there a 5 disc dvd coming out in christmas maybe ht is saving the rest til then to surprise us... but then again they did ruin the warloards line because they couldn't get the licensing for jet li.

No matter who else they make, whether they make one more or 4 more they simply NEED to do Rorschach. At the end of the day he's the only one that really matters. We can all have our favorites or preferences, or disputes of who is more iconic but Rorscharch is really the main character of Watchmen. It would be like doing a spirit line without The Spirit.

We all know the initial rumored list, that is 2/3 correct so far, Comedian and Silk Spectre and Night Owl. If the line is indeed losing steam as it appears likely that it is, we need to see Rorscharch before Night Owl.

I expect to get Rorschach either way - because, as you said, he's the most popular Watchmen character. Why make two or three characters and not him? If the lines continues past Silk Spectre and The Comedian, I'm sure he'll be made.

I still want Nite Owl, though. Nite Owl was Rorschach's partner, and their relationship was my favorite aspect of the movie - so much so that I wish like hell they would do a prequel movie set in the 1960s/1970s that explores their partnership.

I expect to get Rorschach either way - because, as you said, he's the most popular Watchmen character. Why make two or three characters and not him? If the lines continues past Silk Spectre and The Comedian, I'm sure he'll be made.

I still want Nite Owl, though. Nite Owl was Rorschach's partner, and their relationship was my favorite aspect of the movie - so much so that I wish like hell they would do a prequel movie set in the 1960s/1970s that explores their partnership.

did you know theres a game that explores a bit of there relationship prior to the film. i havent played it, but i know it exists. A movie would be neat though.

Just posted this in the comedian thread as well-

Right, I've been asking around and I have some news from HT, nothing solid I'm afraid, but it's enough to keep me interested.
I asked if we'd be getting any updates soon on this line and said many people would like to know if we'll be getting the other major characters, and that Night Owl II is wanted to go with Silk Spectre. I was told that they are aware that the development is going slowly, but they are very much working on the development of the line.

That makes me [cautiously] optimistic.... Very cautiously optimistic.

Back