Hot Toys- The Watchmen, Silk Spectre 'Official' Spec + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This figure is just ugly.....

8Watchman_SILKSPECTREII.jpg

:rolleyes: :thwak :lol

The face is great. But pass for me. I might pick up a Dr. Manhattan if they make it.

This is a remarkable figure and after looking at the new pics I don't really find anything wrong with it. :D

The body looks like crap. Love the face and hair. Even the clothes. Just don't like how they hang on her body. She looks too toyish.

Well of course it looks toyish...afterall it is a toy. :lol ;)

Last edited:
$159.99 at T2 with an estimated release date of October 2009 (which would technically be Quarter 4, but whatever).

What store is T2?

BBTS has this for $199.99! :horror

I see it for $159.99 at Urban Collector. They have Police Joker for the same price and BBTS is only $5 higher than them on that. :duh

To me it makes the figure infinitely more Barbie-like. I do think the doll hair suits her hairstyle but I still prefer sculpted hair.

12" figures are dolls whether they're under the Barbie brand or some other brand. Webster's defines doll as "a small-scale figure of a human being used especially as a child's plaything." Rooted hair is more realistic so why shouldn't a 12" figure have more realism to it where applicable? If metal parts of a 12" figure costume were made out of real metal, that would be a good thing, right? We always want the clothes on these figures to be as realistic as possible. We don't want them made out of plastic like they would be on a 4" action figure. So why shouldn't hair be made out of a more hair-like material where it can be accomplished with a realistic look?

12" figures are dolls whether they're under the Barbie brand or some other brand. Webster's defines doll as "a small-scale figure of a human being used especially as a child's plaything." Rooted hair is more realistic so why shouldn't a 12" figure have more realism to it where applicable? If metal parts of a 12" figure costume were made out of real metal, that would be a good thing, right? We always want the clothes on these figures to be as realistic as possible. We don't want them made out of plastic like they would be on a 4" action figure. So why shouldn't hair be made out of a more hair-like material where it can be accomplished with a realistic look?

Totally agree with this assessment regarding rooted hair. While I am not crazy about it on male figures, if done right, I think it is a superior option to sculpted hair on a female figure!

I really think the rooted hair looks good here, the only thing is, I think it'll take a bit of lookign after and more futzing out of the box to look really good

That shouldn't matter in any way IMO. I loved the comic and the movie, and I'm not feeling this fig at all.

I loved the comic and movie and think this is a very good-looking and tempting figure! I don't own any Hot Toys yet, but I have Dutch and Predator on order. I'm also strongly considering the Police Joker. It wasn't until Hot Toys started nailing these likenesses like on Dutch, Bank Robber Joker and Bale that I started thinking their figures might be worth the price. This likeness isn't quite as good as those only because it looks a little "Asian" in the face. That seems to be a common problem from Asian sculptors, where the faces just naturally come out looking slightly ethnically Asian when they shouldn't (classic offender, the Medicom Jedi Luke: https://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_021405b.htm ). This one isn't too bad though, and Ackerman does have a slight Asian-esque look to her in some shots (e.g. https://images.allmoviephoto.com/2009_Watchmen/2009_watchmen_053.jpg ). That might be part of the problem with capturing her likeness, her face seems to morph quite a lot in different images of her. The likeness does look really great from some angles. And it is a VERY realistic-looking human face, even if it doesn't look exactly like the actress. The coloring of the skin tones and other facial details is ABSURDLY well-done. The hair also really helps make up for any inaccuracies in the likeness. It helps make the figure look all the more lifelike, realistic and feminine. The outfit looks about as realistic as I could expect in this scale. It could never be as skintight as the real costume and still be poseable but I think it's a good approximation. I'm just not sure if I'll be buying because if I get Silk Spectre I'd want to get the whole team, but I don't know if it's worth that much money to me. I would definitely get a Rorschach figure though because that one would stand alone very well.

silk-spectre.jpg

HT-SILKSPECTREII-10.jpg

Last edited:
Totally agree with this assessment regarding rooted hair. While I am not crazy about it on male figures, if done right, I think it is a superior option to sculpted hair on a female figure!

I think the same is true for any long-haired figure, like Thor for instance. I wouldn't even rule out something similar for short-haired figures but it seems like so far toy technology can only produce realistic-looking hair when it's in long strands. Besides the look, I also can't imagine how much long plastic hair would reduce the posability. Even if it was flexible enough to move I'd doubt it would look realistic in many positions. Here you also have the option to move the hair around to the front or back of the figure and have it look perfectly natural.

This is a remarkable figure and after looking at the new pics I don't really find anything wrong with it. :D

Well of course it looks toyish...afterall it is a toy. :lol ;)

NO! IT'S A REAL PERSON IN 1/6TH SCALE SIZE!

Heck, that's where high-end toys are getting these days. The money we're spending on these things is that too much to ask for? Get a great realistic life-like sculpt for the faces, and get this barbie doll body? I definitely can see improvement here. I don't like how the clothes hang on her. Look at some of the male figures that Hot Toys have come out with, the proportions and realism really shines there. Not-so-much here.

Get a great realistic life-like sculpt for the faces, and get this barbie doll body? I definitely can see improvement here. I don't like how the clothes hang on her. Look at some of the male figures that Hot Toys have come out with, the proportions and realism really shines there. Not-so-much here.

I don't really see the problem with the body. Maybe it's a little thinner than the actual actress, but we know we're not going to get a unique female sculpt for every female figure and it's pretty close. She certainly looks perfect in the overcoat so I think the fact that this is supposed to be a skintight costume might be bothering some people. I just don't know if a 1:6 toy could have a costume any more skintight than this that fits and still be poseable.

The only fairly large inaccuracies I see in the costume and the fit is, one, that the crotchpiece under her belt should either fit more snugly or not be as long. It looks about 50% longer vertically than it should. And secondly the silver belt looks like a plastic piece that does not morph properly with the body of the figure in every pose. It kind of floats loose, not fitting at all in some of the shots.

I don't really see the problem with the body. Maybe it's a little thinner than the actual actress, but we know we're not going to get a unique female sculpt for every female figure and it's pretty close. She certainly looks perfect in the overcoat so I think the fact that this is supposed to be a skintight costume might be bothering some people. I just don't know if a 1:6 toy could have a costume any more skintight than this that fits and still be poseable.

The only fairly large inaccuracies I see in the costume and the fit is, one, that the crotchpiece under her belt should either fit more snugly or not be as long. It looks about 50% longer vertically than it should. And secondly the silver belt looks like a plastic piece that does not morph properly with the body of the figure in every pose. It kind of floats loose, not fitting at all in some of the shots.

Looks great in the jacket, but the legs still come off looking toyish and cartoony. Guess I like the realistic aspect of these high-end toys. When I don't get it, it bugs me.

Is that so wrong?! IS IT JEDIJONES! WELL, IS IT....... PUNK! hehe

Sorry... hyper. :)

Heads kinda big or is it the body too small?? just change the body to otaku and you got a nice figure or just make team america bash

15  Watchman_SILKSPECTREII.jpg
[/QUOTE]

it looks more like side show figure maybe sideshow can make team america

1h86d3.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think the head is to big. It might seem a bit bigger because of the long hair or something, but I don't really see it...

naked true type always seem smaller in proportion than the head. my believe is that it's done on purpose since materials used for 1/6 clothing will always look too thick anyway. so you put the clothing on the naked body, and the head/body proportion will balance itself up.

here, however, it's a spandex costume. still too thin to achieve a balanced proportion. have the coat on her though, and she looks better.

I don't have a problem at all with the size of the head. I think it's in good proportion.

And I rather have it look a hair too big than too small.

Hmmm it's very nice, but not for me, not a fan of the real hair. I agree with the lifeless aspect aussieinnyc, just looks to be missing a little realism. Also, why the seams in the upper thighs? Looks like a quality design though, the eyes look sick!

Hot Toys made a mistake releasing this figure as the first in the line. They should have either released Dr. Manhattan or Rorschach first and start the line out with a bang and maximum profit. Instead they release this figure first?

Back