Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, ANH really was so in need of improvement, and a sense of urgency. Nothing was really at stake, Vader was meh. In fact the whole OT could do with 100% improvement. Hopefully ESB can be improved next - it so needs it.

Movie version of Shadows of the Empire coming to a cinema near you. :lol

Yeah, ANH really was so in need of improvement, and a sense of urgency. Nothing was really at stake, Vader was meh. In fact the whole OT could do with 100% improvement. Hopefully ESB can be improved next - it so needs it.

Think the OT should just be rebooted, maybe smash ANH, ESB & ROTJ (since they're so boring)into one movie & fill in the gap between ROTJ & TFA with the other two. Can't wait....:rock2:rock2:rock2:rock2

Movie version of Shadows of the Empire coming to a cinema near you. :lol

:lol

Followed by the rebooted pre-sequel Lego crossover.

It will SO give the franchise a sense of urgency, and replace non-threatening OT Vader with a REAL villain.:yess:

gallery_60910_289_100564.png

Think the OT should just be rebooted, maybe smash ANH, ESB & ROTJ (since they're so boring)into one movie & fill in the gap between ROTJ & TFA with the other two. Can't wait....:rock2:rock2:rock2:rock2

:rotfl

I really can't agree on Rogue One being better that TFA. I saw Rogue One twice at the cinema but am in no rush to see it again. I don't think it was cohesive and had a disjointed first hour. I didn't really care for any of the characters which robbed it of the emotional impact it was aiming for at the end. The Vader scenes (and indeed the Tarkin sections) were the standout scenes, and if anything the film leaves me with the regret that there wasn't more vader included since they had the perfect excuse and James Earl Jones. The whole tone of the film does not blend with the tone of New Hope.

The force awakens fits much better with the tone of the original trilogy and has more likeable characters. Its misstep is the fate of Han Solo.The whole film is generally more fun and as a result is far more rewatchable. It's very far from perfect, but it works better for me with the general spirit of star wars.

Anyway, I have this vader figure and it's incredible.

TFA has more of the lighthearted feel of the OT, barring the genocide of billions and the death-by-patricide of a beloved character. ;)

I find the writing very weak due to the ANH reboot aspect, but I'm not even sure RO and TFA are comparable as the same kind of film.

When I say RO stays with me and I want to rewatch it, I don't necessarily mean it's objectively better; I could pick it apart just like TFA.

I just think the stylistic elements and battles are more engaging for me.

Movies like Star Wars are spectacle for me; I think I've always filled in the blanks around the spectacle on my own.

Going back to what Talibane says, I think ANH is a more satisfactory narrative for obvious reasons, and that's why it stands the test of time, even if it's considered dated and hokey now.

It's an elegant film for a more civilized age.

ANH and ESB are like classic albums. You listen to the rest of the band's catalogue, and maybe new work resonates with where you are now as opposed to being an angry teenager, but it all rides on the strength of their greatest work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole tone of the film does not blend with the tone of New Hope.

Yeah, kinda agree. Really can't wait to watch the two films literally back-to-back though.

The thing that jumped out at me most tonally was how the Rebellion/rebels in ANH seemed so virtuous and united, very much the good guys, while in RO they are pretty damn scummy, duplicitous and divided. I guess the idea is that Jyn unites them, but just their whole take on things seemed fundamentally different.

Like that shot of the scum/villainy rebels (all unshaven and who appear to have murdered their mothers) who volunteer behind Mr. "shivvin' Imperials since I was five years old" Cassian, versus the shot of those enthusiastic, fresh-faced pilot youths (much like Dak in ESB - "I feel I could take on the whole Empire myself!") in the Yavin Death Star attack briefing.

Both scenes take place in the same base only maybe a week or two apart, yet it seems like Human Resources introduced a criminal background check that second week.:lol

To be fair, they don't aim to have the same tone, but RO literally follows the crawl from Ep.IV to the letter.

Star Wars is so rich and diverse, they can afford to have different tones and experiment. As the first of the non-saga movies, it was very successful.

Here's to a Vader standalone film someday!

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

The whole tone of the film does not blend with the tone of New Hope.

The force awakens fits much better with the tone of the original trilogy and has more likeable characters. It's very far from perfect, but it works better for me with the general spirit of Star Wars.

I have to agree with this.

Though I enjoyed both TFA and R1, the tone of TFA felt more like an OT film than what R1 did; which I suppose makes sense because TFA is an actual espisode and R1 was essentially a film within a film. I wasn't expecting it to feel like an episode. Despite taking place right before ANH, the tone of R1 to me didn't fit with the tone of ANH and I had to keep getting it out of my head that the film (except the beginning when Jyn was young) doesn't take place shortly after RotS. For some reason to me, due to the tone of it, it just felt like it took place closer to the events following RotS than it did right before the events of ANH.

I have to agree with this.

Though I enjoyed both TFA and R1, the tone of TFA felt more like an OT film than what R1 did; which I suppose makes sense because TFA is an actual espisode and R1 was essentially a film within a film. I wasn't expecting it to feel like an episode. Despite taking place right before ANH, the tone of R1 to me didn't fit with the tone of ANH and I had to keep getting it out of my head that the film (except the beginning when Jyn was young) doesn't take place shortly after RotS. For some reason to me, due to the tone of it, it just felt like it took place closer to the events following RotS than it did right before the events of ANH.

It felt to me like it was trying to be the ot Or repeating the ot which I know is a common complaint about tfa.
Rogue one was interesting and new but still felt connected but I guess we all feel different about things and you can say who's opinion is correct.

I don't like tfa. I have no desire to watch it again but I can't wait to see rogue one again

I have no desire to watch it again but I can't wait to see rogue one again

I feel the same way.

TFA is on cable constantly and I just never watch it. The good parts are too few and far between.

On the plus column, it won't take much for TLJ to be a better movie in the way ESB was to ANH. Just a couple separated subplots to intercut between will help the pace and get things moving.

So how is this figure's shoulder armor in terms of accuracy to the anh shoulder armor (disregarding the black strips on the side and the glossier sheen), and generally how it looks?

I am considering purchasing the RO shoulder armor, cape, and robes, and placing them on my ANH Vader. I might fund the purchase by selling off my Spacetrooper.

So how is this figure's shoulder armor in terms of accuracy to the anh shoulder armor (disregarding the black strips on the side and the glossier sheen), and generally how it looks?

I am considering purchasing the RO shoulder armor, cape, and robes, and placing them on my ANH Vader. I might fund the purchase by selling off my Spacetrooper.

I think matrix69 posted a comp pic maybe a month or so ago. From memory he said the HT RO chest armor is more accurate than the HT ANH armor, and is smaller, but even the HT RO armor isn't 100% accurate. The Kaiyodo kit seems to be the most accurate chest armor sculpt to date.

I think matrix69 posted a comp pic maybe a month or so ago. From memory he said the HT RO chest armor is more accurate than the HT ANH armor, and is smaller, but even the HT RO armor isn't 100% accurate. The Kaiyodo kit seems to be the most accurate chest armor sculpt to date.
Alright. Generally, is the RO figure superior? I like the little imperfections and so forth that HT replicated on their ANH Vader, but I am more attached to the character himself than a specific costume. If the Rogue One Vader's physical proportions and clothing, armor, and other accessories are better, then I might sell my ANH Vader to fund a purchase of the RO version.

For those who have had both figures, is this a recommended course of action? Will there be a second run of these, or for that matter any of the other Rogue One figures that sold out, such as the Stormtroopers?

The Rogue One was more impressive for me straight out of the box, no mods, etc. But that's cause I found the glossy helmet and the cape more effective. Gloves are obviously a huge improvement too. I settled on a Frankenstein version of the two, though, so maybe don't listen to me.

Alright. Generally, is the RO figure superior? I like the little imperfections and so forth that HT replicated on their ANH Vader, but I am more attached to the character himself than a specific costume. If the Rogue One Vader's physical proportions and clothing, armor, and other accessories are better, then I might sell my ANH Vader to fund a purchase of the RO version.

For those who have had both figures, is this a recommended course of action? Will there be a second run of these, or for that matter any of the other Rogue One figures that sold out, such as the Stormtroopers?

If you're going for just a general representation of the character and not a specific film, or aren't partial to a specific representation, I'd go with the R1 Vader.

If you're going for just a general representation of the character and not a specific film, or aren't partial to a specific representation, I'd go with the R1 Vader.
Alright, thanks. If HT does a second run I'll pick one up.

TESB is my favorite version, and my favorite film, but until Hot Toys makes an ESB Vader, I'd like to go with what is generally considered the best representation of the character in terms of the figure's quality and appearance. If an ESB version releases, I'll just upgrade to that from the Rogue One Vader.

My personal favorite rendition is his ANH look, so I stuck with my ANH Vader. The bulk of my SW collection centers around ANH, so that's another reason why I stuck with it. R1 Vader though is a cleaner look, has the better looking gloves and the bit better cape from what I hear (though I think the ANH cape is great and drapes well), so if you're just looking for a general representation, that's probably the better one.

Back