Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that Lord of the Sith can control a few leds on his suit. Come on guys ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was even able to fight for a few minutes with his suit powered down...

Wait, is the Darth Vader vs Batman fanfilm canon?

😂

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

The whole thing was conceived and filmed after his walk of death as director of the film, so very apt.:lol

Gareth is actually in that scene, so it's not something that happened after he finished. Sure the scene was Jabez Olssen's idea, but Gareth was fully involved.

Gareth is actually in that scene, so it's not something that happened after he finished. Sure the scene was Jabez Olssen's idea, but Gareth was fully involved.

No, obviously nothing is known for certain (Disney has done their very best to keep it all under wraps, and they are very good at doing that) but it's been reported that Edwards' tiny cameo as the soldier was part of the originally shot Tantive/Leia ending that didn't involve the Vader attack scene.

The attack scene was added after Tony Gilroy had fully taken over script, shoot and cut for the reshoots, and the number of millions Gilroy was paid means he indeed replaced Gareth, and was not some kind of "helper" or that Gareth was still calling the shots or in creatively charge.

No studio pays a "helper" $5 million for not much more than six months' work, and to say they paid that for something that wasn't massively significant is absurd. Disney ended up with the movie they wanted, but it's not in anyone's interest to say what actually happened, so that will only filter out over the next few years.

Edwards is a talented special effects whiz and has a trademark blend of CGI and cinema verite style that was a good match for RO, but he didn't write RO like JJ Abrams co-wrote TFA or Rian Johnson is writing TLJ. Other writers wrote RO, and someone else came in and replaced Edwards, and that guy is a widely acclaimed writer and writer/director, so there's no point in trying to diminish what he did and say "no, it's all Gareth" when even what little we know doesn't support that - it may not fit the fan narrative (huge SW fan makes SW film,) but just give credit where it's due.

Funny thing about Rogue One, and I can't tell if it's because of the OT era or the film, or both I guess....it stays with me in a way TFA does not. And I don't dislike TFA, it just doesn't resonate like RO for me, even though I have a couple of issues with Rogue One (like I do with most Nerd Movies).

It resonates with me to the point where I find myself wondering if I shouldn't have got an RO Vader after all...only the inevitable ESB version has stayed my hand.

Funny thing about Rogue One, and I can't tell if it's because of the OT era or the film, or both I guess....it stays with me in a way TFA does not. And I don't dislike TFA, it just doesn't resonate like RO for me, even though I have a couple of issues with Rogue One (like I do with most Nerd Movies).

It resonates with me to the point where I find myself wondering if I shouldn't have got an RO Vader after all...only the inevitable ESB version has stayed my hand.

Nailed it! Feel the same way and not getting the RO is nagging at me now. Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I've said before, because RO is literally set INSIDE ANH, it's like your favorite roast dinner served on different crockery with a new side dish added... so what's there not to love?:lol

I have to admit that I really like it but never feel very moved by the story as I'm watching it. Felt like a competently done Marvel movie for me, which I usually respond to similarly--sort of like Avengers for Star Wars (everyone has their specific skill), but then they all die. :lol

I have to admit that I really like it but never feel very moved by the story as I'm watching it. Felt like a competently done Marvel movie for me, which I usually respond to similarly--sort of like Avengers for Star Wars (everyone has their specific skill), but then they all die. :lol

To be honest, I don't expect to be moved by Star Wars or Marvel. They're like pizza -- crowd-pleasing, fun and amongst my favourites, but fine dining (fine art) they're not -- and don't need to be.

For me it was total magic to see the OT playing out on the big screen again, with scenes that were happening "just around the corner" from the iconic scenes. Just stuff like the first DS so beautifully shot, Tarkin in action, the Tantive hallway battles etc. It was a really unique experience that TFA couldn't replicate, even with evolved OT hardware and the heroes back (as seniors.) I loved it, but at the same time recognized it was a little... I dunno... incestuous somehow.

To be honest, I don't expect to be moved by Star Wars or Marvel. They're like pizza -- crowd-pleasing, fun and amongst my favourites, but fine dining (fine art) they're not -- and don't need to be.

Yeah, but the OT was such a different animal - a sweeping, classic myth/hero's journey with magic and romance and wizards. RO versus the OT is like "Aliens" versus "LOTR."

RO was like the entire character list of SW (heroes, villains and everyone in between) had dumped religion, stopped showering and taken up the bottle. Like the Emperor pulled back his hood and it was Christopher Nolan sneering at us.:lol

No, obviously nothing is known for certain (Disney has done their very best to keep it all under wraps, and they are very good at doing that) but it's been reported that Edwards' tiny cameo as the soldier was part of the originally shot Tantive/Leia ending that didn't involve the Vader attack scene.

The attack scene was added after Tony Gilroy had fully taken over script, shoot and cut for the reshoots, and the number of millions Gilroy was paid means he indeed replaced Gareth, and was not some kind of "helper" or that Gareth was still calling the shots or in creatively charge.

No studio pays a "helper" $5 million for not much more than six months' work, and to say they paid that for something that wasn't massively significant is absurd. Disney ended up with the movie they wanted, but it's not in anyone's interest to say what actually happened, so that will only filter out over the next few years.

Edwards is a talented special effects whiz and has a trademark blend of CGI and cinema verite style that was a good match for RO, but he didn't write RO like JJ Abrams co-wrote TFA or Rian Johnson is writing TLJ. Other writers wrote RO, and someone else came in and replaced Edwards, and that guy is a widely acclaimed writer and writer/director, so there's no point in trying to diminish what he did and say "no, it's all Gareth" when even what little we know doesn't support that - it may not fit the fan narrative (huge SW fan makes SW film,) but just give credit where it's due.

Just addressing the parts of this relevant to my comment quoted, with respect your drawing you're own speculative conclusions from limited information and claiming that is the way it is.

No one would dispute that R1 was a collaborative effort from many people.

For me it was total magic to see the OT playing out on the big screen again, with scenes that were happening "just around the corner" from the iconic scenes. Just stuff like the first DS so beautifully shot, Tarkin in action, the Tantive hallway battles etc. It was a really unique experience that TFA couldn't replicate, even with evolved OT hardware and the heroes back (as seniors.) I loved it, but at the same time recognized it was a little... I dunno... incestuous somehow.

Well said.

[...]Yeah, but the OT was such a different animal - a sweeping, classic myth/hero's journey with magic and romance and wizards.[...]

I wouldn't dispute that, but I also tend to look at it as a product of its time, much like I'm a product of my own time. Obviously it's difficult to see the OT without bias, after all these years. Even so, I don't think you're wrong to say it had more heart.

RO was like the entire character list of SW (heroes, villains and everyone in between) had dumped religion, stopped showering and taken up the bottle. Like the Emperor pulled back his hood and it was Christopher Nolan sneering at us.:lol

LOL...yes -- very much like that. I have no clue how sophisticated (or not) children are these days, but I'm not sure I'd take a very young child to see that.

Then again, I was maybe 4 years old when I saw Greedo get shot at point-blank range, Ponda get his arm severed, a planet destroyed, pilots and soldiers getting blown away and Luke's guardians' roasted bodies... I'm not sure I registered it as raw violence but more as just parts of an epic story where the good guys won.

Just addressing the parts of this relevant to my comment quoted, with respect your drawing you're own speculative conclusions from limited information and claiming that is the way it is.

No one would dispute that R1 was a collaborative effort from many people.

Well I did start my comment with "nothing is known for certain" (on both sides of the argument.) However, replacing a director and doing major reshoots is a BIG deal, and it calls into question both Edwards fully being up to the task, and also his contribution - if any - to scenes like the Vader attack, which were not only shot but conceived after he had been replaced.

The fact Edwards didn't write RO compounds that - compared to say the situation if Rian Johnson was replaced as director of TLJ, but still having written the film.

The problem is that the Vader scene is emerging as the #1 fan moment in RO, so the "who did what?" question comes up over and over. Because of the way Disney does things, there is no definitive answer, but the reported facts and common sense do provide something beyond "speculative conclusions."

I wouldn't dispute that, but I also tend to look at it as a product of its time, much like I'm a product of my own time. Obviously it's difficult to see the OT without bias, after all these years. Even so, I don't think you're wrong to say it had more heart.

LOL...yes -- very much like that. I have no clue how sophisticated (or not) children are these days, but I'm not sure I'd take a very young child to see that.

Then again, I was maybe 4 years old when I saw Greedo get shot at point-blank range, Ponda get his arm severed, a planet destroyed, pilots and soldiers getting blown away and Luke's guardians' roasted bodies... I'm not sure I registered it as raw violence but more as just parts of an epic story where the good guys won.

Watching a hero blast a slimeball thug or slice a bully criminal is a little different to watching a Rebel "hero" put a slug through the back of an injured colleague simply because he can't climb, and the rebellion lying to a messed-up young woman so she'll lead them to her father - so they can murder him.:lol

And yeah, me and all of my buddies loved RO but all of the kids were uniformly less than enthusiastic - "A lot to take in" was what the oldest/12yo said (a bit shellshocked.) Though RO's not really one of those movies trying to be a rousing crowd-pleaser like TFA, it is what it is. It's more an adult fan experience, post-9/11 and post-Nolan. It was exactly what it needed to be.

Has anyone watched ANH since seeing RO? It's amazing and rare to have a new perspective on a movie you've seen 500 times before.

Has anyone watched ANH since seeing RO? It's amazing and rare to have a new perspective on a movie you've seen 500 times before.
It improves AHN 100%! Gives it a sense of urgency that it didn't have. Makes Vader extremely more threatening for the rest of the saga.

It improves AHN 100%! Gives it a sense of urgency that it didn't have. Makes Vader extremely more threatening for the rest of the saga.

Yeah, ANH really was so in need of improvement, and a sense of urgency. Nothing was really at stake, Vader was meh. In fact the whole OT could do with 100% improvement. Hopefully ESB can be improved next - it so needs it.

I haven't sat down and watched ANH all the way thru in a while so I'm looking forward to getting R1 this month and watching them back to back. Having a backstory like R1 adds a fun element to something your'e so familiar with.

Couldn't agree more. RO really adds another layer to ANH, and gives me a new appreciation for it. It puts some names, and faces to those rebels Vader talks about. Gives Tarkin a bit more history, and knowing what Vader did shortly before the opening scene in ANH makes him even more intimidating.

Back