Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input lads.
I don't mind spending the extra money for the RO figure, but for the money being spent, like everyone, I want the best figure possible. I'm not the hugest stickler for accuracy to whats on screen. I look at both and I see Vader, I dont notice if a figure is a hundred percent to whats on screen . What I dont want is to have to upgrade down the line or kitbash to get a figure to look great.

Quick question. I'm thinking I want to order through SS. How likely will the waitlist convert? And if it does, can I flex pay a waitlist conversion?

Quick question. I'm thinking I want to order through SS. How likely will the waitlist convert? And if it does, can I flex pay a waitlist conversion?

Depends on how many buyers end up passing and how close to the top of the waitlist you are and whether SSC get new stock in. Almost certain you can't flex a waitlist conversion.

Depends on how many buyers end up passing and how close to the top of the waitlist you are and whether SSC get new stock in. Almost certain you can't flex a waitlist conversion.

Ohh. Thanks for the info! I imagine they would have more because of how popular Vader is. I might just stick with my BBTS order. The shipping will be cheaper for sure.

The helmets are basically the same aside from the finish, though there are some small differences in the face mask. I know Hot Toys claimed this was the case but they looked so similar I sort of didn't believe them. The only clear difference I've noticed is there's a clear line under the eyes on the RO helmet whereas it tapers on the ANH version as it gets toward the nose. That and it seems they managed to reduce that fox-like look that the ANH Vader helmet had from some above angles--not sure if that's just the angle of the dome to the mask, some minor structural change, or just a trick due to the paint.

It seems like they made a concerted effort to adjust some of the complaints of the ANH version (gloves, less fat looking, got rid of the electronics, adjustment on the helmet, improved the robes), but it's not still not quite there yet for me. Not crazy about the ROTS looking saber either.

Nice overview and pics. Some interesting combos of the various Vader bits.:clap

I do think that them going full gloss this time on the helmet has really improved the look of it. The sculpt is a hair off in several ways (the fox/insect/McQ Vader look people mention) and the high gloss and much stronger gunmetal/black paint really helps to confuse the eye and make it all come together as "Vader," whereas the slightly duller finish and muted gunmetal/black of the ANH made you see the flaws a bit more.

Vader onscreen in ANH seems to be dulled, but he's actually fairly shiny in many scenes, and not sure the dulling process HT put on the ANH version worked too well in matching that look.

I do think that them going full gloss this time on the helmet has really improved the look of it. The sculpt is a hair off in several ways (the fox/insect/McQ Vader look people mention) and the high gloss and much stronger gunmetal/black paint really helps to confuse the eye and make it all come together as "Vader," whereas the slightly duller finish and muted gunmetal/black of the ANH made you see the flaws a bit more.

Vader onscreen in ANH seems to be dulled, but he's actually fairly shiny in many scenes, and not sure the dulling process HT put on the ANH version worked too well in matching that look.

Yeah the ANH paintjob might be very rough and messy up close (like all the paintjobs in that movie), but from a distance there's still clearly a bit of a shine to him.

For this new Vader I think I'd only want to dull it down and weather it very slightly, and strike some kind of balance between the two figures.

I joined the waitlist last week and I received an email that I'd have to pay the full amount once my waitlist converted and i didn't like that idea because I won't know when will that be?! I canceled it and bought Rogue One off eBay, I paid a little bit more for it. No big deal. It's on the way to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I joined the waitlist last week and I received an email that I'd have to pay the full amount once my waitlist converted and i didn't like that idea because I won't know when will that be?! I canceled it and bought Rogue One off eBay, I paid a little bit more for it. No big deal. It's on the way to me!

Whenever wait lists have converted for me in the past, they do give you a heads up email so you have the chance to cancel before it charges if that helps for future orders.

Whenever wait lists have converted for me in the past, they do give you a heads up email so you have the chance to cancel before it charges if that helps for future orders.

That is good to know. Thank you.

It was my first time joining the waitlist for this figure. Now that I know, I'll be more comfortable joining another waitlist if that ever comes to the point. Thanks again!

I actually take it back about being differences in the mask, it's really that the paint job accentuates those lines where the ANH doesn't. Paint job gives Vader less of the surprised look in the eyes too. The mask is still too thin for the dome (looks best at side or 3/4 angles or straight on but from below).

Boots are nicer and more accurate to ANH but they're too tight (that's what causes the bunching up of the pants around the knees).

The hands are obviously the best thing with this figure. I like the outer robes cause they don't drag on the ground and are a darker black (works better with the paint job), but they're still a bit long for the ANH body.

Is it just me or does the ankle area look weird on this guy? Tried moving them up, down, and switching the armor from left to right and can't get it to look decent. I'm thinking the boot doesn't fill out the front of the ankle area as well as ANH Vader.

Back