1/6 Hot Toys - MMS357 - Avengers: AoU - Scarlet Witch (New Avengers Ver.) Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - Avengers: AoU - Scarlet Witch (New Avengers Ver.) Collectible Fi

Custom I found on Facebook.

f0bz4o.jpg

Re: Hot Toys - MMS - Avengers: AoU - Scarlet Witch (New Avengers Ver.) Collectible Fi

How is the corset cliché, exactly? That's been a part of Wanda's costume in the comics. Who else in superhero films wears a corset to make it cliché?

Emma Frost (X-Men First Class), Selene (Underworld), Catwoman (Batman Returns... sorta). Black Queen in the X-Men comics. Just because it's part of the comics costume, that doesn't mean it has to translate over to the movies. There's just no functional reason for a female superhero to ever wear a corset.

:goodpost:

4 characters with corsets isn't cliche. And there's no functional reason for Psylocke to wear her outfit either but it looks fine on her. I think both Psylocke and this Version of Wanda has transferred over to film pretty well. It's a heightened reality, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's a cool costume. I even think a classic comic book Gamora could translate well on screen.

I don't think she was creating an exhaustive list, just giving 4 examples. As for "function", the function of a corset is to exaggerate the hourglass form of a woman to make her look "sexier". The men's costumes of course try to exaggerate form too, but its done in a way to look stronger. Now strength is "sexy" for men and women too, but that's not what a corset emphasizes for women. I'm not saying it doesn't look good or its somehow inappropriate to see. My comment isn't about censorship or a fear of seeing "too much skin"; but pointing out that our desire to see women in "corsets" (not always literally but at least generally "hot") goes back centuries. That's long enough to be "cliche" when it comes to such costumes.

There's no practical reason for 90% of the costumes. going by your argument they should all be in tactical gear and wearing camo or black. No colors.

Again, the other "practical" reason is to create an image and form which idealizes men and women. For men this is strength and muscles, for women this "looking hot". I just think there is a lot more too these characters than that and I prefer a representation of the character which points to her strengths as a character and one where my daughter sees them as equals with the male characters when she sees my collection.

I don't see what the big deal is.

For the record, I am not making a "big deal" out of it. All I said was why I preferred one version of the costume over the other. I'm not demanding others agree or saying they shouldn't have made the costume that way or make a figure in that costume. I'm only saying what I want to buy and why I pick one version over the other. It's not that the corset is "bad" or "evil" but rather I appreciate the fact there is a version of a costume that avoided going down that over traveled road.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of sexism historically when it comes to female superhero suits, but Wanda's MCU outfit is very tame and conservative, all things considered. This isn't like the Ultimates where her outfit was intentionally designed to be boner inducing.

These things are on a spectrum. The corset is "tasteful" compared to many other standards for sure, but don't pretend corsets aren't (as you put it) "designed to be boner inducing" on some level. Again, the corset has history. Also again, I agree that the costume is much better than it could be. I'm just trying to talk honestly and factual about what the reality of such stuff.

This one's stylish and doesn't have a lot of skin showing. It's not objectifying but it's not boring either.

It doesn't have to be about "skin" to be objectifying, but again - spectrum. Keep in mind I'm speaking of these things from a cultural and sociological point of view, not an individualistic argument trying to condemn individual intentions or motives. Most of this stuff we don't even think about and we take for granted; but that doesn't mean these things aren't realities on a larger cultural and social level.

You are never gonna see Gamora's classic costume onscreen in 2017. There's a reason they went with the look they did in the movie.

Good point. They are making great strides here.

I hope people take these comments of mine in the spirit they are meant. I'm not trying to start some sort of argument or get others to agree. If you don't agree and think what I am saying is dumb or off base or feminist crap. fine. I don't care. I'm just sharing a point of view, do with it what you like. In the mean time I am glad that we are collecting in a time where there are so many options and people have more of a chance to get what they may like.

Peace.

Oh don't worry. If we nobody was allowed to disagree on the internet, none of us would be here. I get what you mean.

I don't think she was creating an exhaustive list, just giving 4 examples. As for "function", the function of a corset is to exaggerate the hourglass form of a woman to make her look "sexier". The men's costumes of course try to exaggerate form too, but its done in a way to look stronger. Now strength is "sexy" for men and women too, but that's not what a corset emphasizes for women. I'm not saying it doesn't look good or its somehow inappropriate to see. My comment isn't about censorship or a fear of seeing "too much skin"; but pointing out that our desire to see women in "corsets" (not always literally but at least generally "hot") goes back centuries. That's long enough to be "cliche" when it comes to such costumes.

Again, the other "practical" reason is to create an image and form which idealizes men and women. For men this is strength and muscles, for women this "looking hot". I just think there is a lot more too these characters than that and I prefer a representation of the character which points to her strengths as a character and one where my daughter sees them as equals with the male characters when she sees my collection.

:goodpost: That's a much more thoughtful version of what I had wanted to say (especially the parts in bold).

Oh don't worry. If we nobody was allowed to disagree on the internet, none of us would be here. I get what you mean.

:rotfl True! Thanks :)

:goodpost: That's a much more thoughtful version of what I had wanted to say (especially the parts in bold).

No problem :duff

Where is the PO for this lovely figure??? When it does, I don't think it will ever sell out, given the amount of screen time and folks probably wants the CW version, right? I on the other hand, prefers this one over the CW one...A Spooktacular purchase or Thanksgiving purchase, maybe?

She's coming soon...forgot there was a thread for thisimage.jpeg
image.jpeg

I AM SO EXCITED!! :panic::love:love:love:panic:

I thought you might be the first to respond. Lol

Hahahaha just lucky timing I checked the forum now rather than later :p

I have a reputation already and I've only been here a few months :rotfl

Really is just a so much more appealing version for me.. :)

I like this version a lot more too.

She does have more of a superhero vibe here. Does make me wonder if they'll do her Civil War outfit though.

I'm betting they do. But it's hard to tell. Depends on if they do Aou level or more like they do with most films. There's already WM, Cap, IM, Bucky, BP, hawkeye, (widow tease) and you know spiderman is coming. That's more figures then most films get

MMS357

Limited to 500 in Japan.....

What does that mean if she's limited to 500 in Japan? Does that mean it's going to be hard to get hold of her anywhere else? =/

Back