Hot Toys Scarlet Witch Artisan Edition - Avengers Endgame

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all know that the “Artisan” line was created to go head to head with Inart in terms of using “Wool Hair”, however Asmus used Wool Hair for Gandalf if I’m not mistaken?
Yeah, and it's nice. Whatever quality AMUS used it's *silky* and has a bit of shine.

Imagine there are all kinds of mohair? that can be picked up, I hope HT works hard at it, and the rooting itself.

Unpopular opinion probably, but I am in favor of premium limited releases. I think it helps figures retain their value and adds some excitement. While I'm not trying to make money with this hobby I sure wouldn't be nearly as engaged if every figure dropped in value by half like all my Mandalorian figures have. With these release 'events' I'll get some and miss others, but I much prefer that knowing the ones I get will hold their value. Overproduction kills collectibles.

That said, HT needs to actually release an 'artisan' before too many more preorder events. Agree with others that a premium or artisan figure should improve more than just adding rooted hair.
I think that means you don't like the figures as much as you think you do. Holding value is really only relevant if you are selling these figures. Even in those cases, you probably shouldn't get into the hobby with that expectation. The hobby is supposed to be fun because you like the figures, but it seems like people are getting into the "figure stock market" instead. If your happiness with a figure fluctuates with value, you're probably not collecting for the love of it. I have multiples of all the Mando figures, and I love every one of them even though they dropped in value. They are beautiful figures...

I agree that HT needs to release some artisan stuff before stacking too many. Also, the first one better be fire or people will start freaking out about what all the other ones will end up being like. I would even go so far as to say they shouldn't put any more up for preorder until at least one has released.

I think that means you don't like the figures as much as you think you do. Holding value is really only relevant if you are selling these figures. Even in those cases, you probably shouldn't get into the hobby with that expectation. The hobby is supposed to be fun because you like the figures, but it seems like people are getting into the "figure stock market" instead. If your happiness with a figure fluctuates with value, you're probably not collecting for the love of it. I have multiples of all the Mando figures, and I love every one of them even though they dropped in value. They are beautiful figures...

I agree that HT needs to release some artisan stuff before stacking too many. Also, the first one better be fire or people will start freaking out about what all the other ones will end up being like. I would even go so far as to say they shouldn't put any more up for preorder until at least one has released.
Yep. I'm an unabashed Mando fan - even if the series trips re the writing - because, and I don't think anyone thinks about it at the time, because you are in the moment - I WAS THERE when far as I'm concerned, a completely new character was introduced into the SW universe, live action, with a culture and look that had never been seen live action, that seized the imagination worldwide.

IMO that's not that easy to do. And HT has churned out beautiful SW figs. Feel pretty much the same about the "classic" 10-year MCU. The MCU got me into comics, at least more than before. For all I know, all of my figs - especially the MCU - may have little to no value in 10 years. But I bought for the joy - it's like moments frozen in time from films and properties I still enjoy rewatching.

And agree HT shouldn't overdue the artisan thing. If the whole idea is rooted hair, an interesting base, maybe some lighting effects - not everyone will go for that, or the price. I could do a "classic" Thor and a "classic" Bucky. Maybe BW.

I am a collector for the limited aspect of it. How limited these are plays a factor in pricing. If something were endless then the pricing should reflect that and be cheaper. We know better releases will happen eventually and technology will improve for sculpting, paint apps and tailoring, but at what point do you as a collector pay $200+ for an item, then a better release comes along and now what you paid is worth half the price? These aren't items that should depreciate like a car or electronic item, it's a collector piece and many got into the game thinking IF and that's a big IF, there's a need to sell, financial emergencies or going another direction down the road, you should be able to break even or take a small loss. However, 1/6th is getting played out which is why I've made the switch to statues and more limited items. I'll still buy 1/6 because the selection lends to pieces never being made in statue form, but these Artisans do lend more to why I got into the hobby. I'm not to hear to sell and profit but I do like to know that I buy retains its value like a lot of collections do. This is my personal take of course.

I am a collector for the limited aspect of it. How limited these are plays a factor in pricing. If something were endless then the pricing should reflect that and be cheaper. We know better releases will happen eventually and technology will improve for sculpting, paint apps and tailoring, but at what point do you as a collector pay $200+ for an item, then a better release comes along and now what you paid is worth half the price? These aren't items that should depreciate like a car or electronic item, it's a collector piece and many got into the game thinking IF and that's a big IF, there's a need to sell, financial emergencies or going another direction down the road, you should be able to break even or take a small loss. However, 1/6th is getting played out which is why I've made the switch to statues and more limited items. I'll still buy 1/6 because the selection lends to pieces never being made in statue form, but these Artisans do lend more to why I got into the hobby. I'm not to hear to sell and profit but I do like to know that I buy retains its value like a lot of collections do. This is my personal take of course.
Appreciate that view of it. For myself, bein' one of those folks that work with my hands and wants to know how a cabinet is joined and - what's it made of?

When I first started collecting tripped over some posts with complaints about a Batman "oiling" and the whole pink panties IM thing. Did some reading about "plastics" maintenance. It seems even for museums in the best conditions, plastics can just deteriorate (unlike glass that can last centuries).

So for myself, not knowing how long these figs have - the general consensus is 10 years....and I am not saying these figs couldn't last well beyond that. I just can't think of what I own as appreciating in value, but more likely to depreciate because of the material. Or loss of interest when the next big thing comes along. So I don't worry about it, value wise. If I need to sell - well, if nothing else think there will always be a market for parts and accessories, for kitbashing and customs.

I wish Hot Toys would just have the Artisan line be an open pre-order but cap the amount of time figures are available to be pre-ordered.

Instead of this limited to x number that we all have to battle for. That’s irritating if you ask me.

I didn’t want Scarlet Witch but I’d have gotten Anakin and possibly Joker as rooted figures.

Last edited:
I wish Hot Toys would just have the Artisan line be an open pre-order but cap the amount of time figures are available to be pre-ordered.

Instead of this limited to x number that we all have to battle for. That’s irritating if you ask me.

I didn’t want Scarlet Witch but I’d have gotten Anakin and possibly Joker as rooted figures.
Yes like a timed release. The edition size would be dictated by the amount of preorders in that amount of time. Inart does that. You currently have until October 28 to preorder the Henry Cavill Superman for example.

@Mike86 and @jodl73 - So your both wanting HT to implement what Mondo is doing for their “Timed Releases” of the figures of BTAS/He-man lineup that their doing as of now correct?

@Mike86 and @jodl73 - So your both wanting HT to implement what Mondo is doing for their “Timed Releases” of the figures of BTAS/He-man lineup that their doing as of now correct?
It would be preferable if you ask me. Heck even if they said you have 24-48 hours to pre-order and cap it that would work.

It would give enough time for people who truly want a figure the chance to get one but it would still be limited to the number of orders received.

Right now the Artisan line is kind of a joke unless you get lucky or want to pay for an upgraded sculpted figure.

HT has to leave open room for the eventual silicone head with rooted hair and moveable eyes and real leather tunics Anakin 5.0 release in years. They have to make sure my kids have the best 1/6 Ani to stay in business

It would be preferable if you ask me. Heck even if they said you have 24-48 hours to pre-order and cap it that would work.

It would give enough time for people who truly want a figure the chance to get one but it would still be limited to the number of orders received.

Right now the Artisan line is kind of a joke unless you get lucky or want to pay for an upgraded sculpted figure.
This was my thought as well. A 24hr period is more than enough time to get your order in while still keeping numbers low. As most know, the amount of "people" a head of you isn't even really indicative of how many folks want it as many of us have at least 2 devices they're using to try to get one as well as who knows how many different browsers open. I think most exclusives through Sideshow are 1 per household, so no real issue of one person getting multiples.

HT already tried that timed release thingy for Obi-Wan Vader EX, Mark III 2.0 EX (and others?) but it was a verrrry short window. I wonder if that panned out the way that they wanted it to.

HT already tried that timed release thingy for Obi-Wan Vader EX, Mark III 2.0 EX (and others?) but it was a verrrry short window. I wonder if that panned out the way that they wanted it to.
Maybe I’m misremembering, but didn’t we have a couple days on the timing for those figures vs just a day/few hours? I remember sitting on the MK3 2.0 for a while before deciding within the final hrs/mins. I could see why that might’ve not been as beneficial for HT b/c it gives ppl too much time to rethink and talk themselves out of it vs the impulse buy now, decide later.

EDIT: went and looked back-the order window for the figures your mentioned was around 17days! So yea, that would be totally different than say only a 24hr window that some of us at proposing.

Last edited:
I appreciate the point of view of those where value retention doesn't affect your enjoyment of this hobby. For me it adds to it. That's why they're called collectibles instead of disposables. Aren't you guys at least somewhat more excited to have a Gandalf or Aragorn preorder in, seeing it sold out and selling for 2x? Isn't the increased value and limited nature part of what makes something a 'grail'?

II was recently at an art foundation exhibit. We were given a tour of their vast and valuable collection by the person after whom the foundation was named. They had thousands of pieces and the person remarked that they do not care what individual pieces are worth, but since they lend so much artwork out to museums, insurance premiums are going up and up because the artwork price is going up and up. For this foundation, value, or price, is a liability

@thedew: To a fair chunk of collectors, Middle Earth characters are not true Superheroes anyways and it’s not based on reality. So what’s the point in getting those characters??

I think for those that read Tolkien’s books in their younger years and enjoyed the series, those people will get the items related to LoTH and subsequent related items to that series.

I appreciate the point of view of those where value retention doesn't affect your enjoyment of this hobby. For me it adds to it. That's why they're called collectibles instead of disposables. Aren't you guys at least somewhat more excited to have a Gandalf or Aragorn preorder in, seeing it sold out and selling for 2x? Isn't the increased value and limited nature part of what makes something a 'grail'?

I think everyone here really enjoys having something not everyone else has, its human nature. But its the means of getting it that really matters. Sure Gandalf is selling for double retail price, but there was an insane amount of time to order him, if you really wanted him, you got him.

These HT releases being extremely limited and making us all spend 30+ minutes in a queue to possibly not even get the figure we REALLY want is the worst part of so many hobbies, it shouldn't have a place in this one. InArt has proved now multiple times how successful a PO window can be, so im not sure why HT hasn't taken that into consideration, it would likely make them more money in the end anyway and due to the limited time frame the figures would still generally be more rare than your average one.

Hmm.. The pre-order for the regular Endgame version is up on SS last week but not up on the Canadian 1/6th hobby websites yet?

Edit: It’s up! Roughly $450 CDN (or $460 CDN depending on which hobby stores that we deal with).

Last edited:
Back