1/6 Hot Toys DX19 - The Dark Knight Rises - 1/6th scale Batman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't see any need for a custom cowl here. Stock looks just fine.
You mean to tell me you don't want to pay $200-$300 to get a shrunken scan of the same cowl Hot Toys used to make their cowl? :ROFLMAO: Jjjjjjjjjaxon blocked me a long time ago when he decided to get into 1:12 Batman capes after seeing mine. Pretty funny IMO, I've seen him on these boards but idc.

There are some things that could be improved about this stock cowl but honestly the posable eyes are done really well and I think the functionality, crispness, and color of the eyes is going to be tough to beat. Especially considering the red irises on the Jaxon sculpt he shipped me before I started customizing in 1:6 🤦‍♂️

I honestly think this cowl only needs slightly differently sized chins to be basically perfect. Even that is a nitpick though IMO.

I do wish there was a way to replace the eyelids. Bale was pretty squinty in a lot of scenes - it would be nice to have that option.

If you're getting this one I would wait until you see it in person. People have said the QS001 and this both could use squintier eyes but I honestly don't agree at all. I think they're great and versatile for different expressions. The thing I've realized with time is that when we photograph our figures we often light them to show detail, but the film itself is very dark and the character is never lighted the way these figures are in good photos.

Unless there's light shining directly into the recesses of the eyes the way the shadows and reflections hit the eyes look perfect IMO. As I've poured over reference photos for my own work I have found that Bales eyes often appear squinty more due to lighting than his actual expression and in photos where light is hitting directly into the eye area they do often appear a bit larger.

I think with human eyes and these figures there are very few scenarios under normal lighting conditions where the entirety of the whites of the eye are illuminated with no shadows from the eyelids. You do often see this in figure photos though which is why I think some feel they could be more squinty.

1650743188742.png

Dx19 sitting comfortly inside the new batmobile

You mean to tell me you don't want to pay $200-$300 to get a shrunken scan of the same cowl Hot Toys used to make their cowl? :ROFLMAO: Jjjjjjjjjaxon blocked me a long time ago when he decided to get into 1:12 Batman capes after seeing mine. Pretty funny IMO, I've seen him on these boards but idc.

There are some things that could be improved about this stock cowl but honestly the posable eyes are done really well and I think the functionality, crispness, and color of the eyes is going to be tough to beat. Especially considering the red irises on the Jaxon sculpt he shipped me before I started customizing in 1:6 🤦‍♂️

I honestly think this cowl only needs slightly differently sized chins to be basically perfect. Even that is a nitpick though IMO.

If you're getting this one I would wait until you see it in person. People have said the QS001 and this both could use squintier eyes but I honestly don't agree at all. I think they're great and versatile for different expressions. The thing I've realized with time is that when we photograph our figures we often light them to show detail, but the film itself is very dark and the character is never lighted the way these figures are in good photos.

Unless there's light shining directly into the recesses of the eyes the way the shadows and reflections hit the eyes look perfect IMO. As I've poured over reference photos for my own work I have found that Bales eyes often appear squinty more due to lighting than his actual expression and in photos where light is hitting directly into the eye area they do often appear a bit larger.

I think with human eyes and these figures there are very few scenarios under normal lighting conditions where the entirety of the whites of the eye are illuminated with no shadows from the eyelids. You do often see this in figure photos though which is why I think some feel they could be more squinty.
Yeah I'm very happy with how this looks out of the box. A new cape and it's more than good enough for me.

Put me down for one your capes if that's okay.

The Begins figure will definitely need a new cowl unless HT surprise us all with a major upgrade upon release.

Oh man.. yeah Ill have to keep an eye out on that Jaxon sculpt then. Nice to know he's expanding beyond just cutting fabric.
He’s been making custom sculpts for awhile now. He’s done a good handful of Cap headsculpts with a brand new set up for PO right now I believe, Henry Cavill Superman (JL and BvS), TDK and Begins cowls with mouthplates I think, and a bunch of 1/6 and 1/4 TDK Joker heads with different expressions and TDK Joker shoes.

Yeah I'm very happy with how this looks out of the box. A new cape and it's more than good enough for me.

The Begins figure will definitely need a new cowl unless HT surprise us all with a major upgrade upon release.
Even though I've made my own Begins cowl and I am very happy with it I love getting figures I like out of the box. It's really a win win situation for me. No improvements is good for business, an improved cowl means I get to just enjoy the hobby. :ROFLMAO:

I've now pointed this out in three places, but it looks like Hot Toys fixed what I found to be the only issues with the Tumbler: No black rim on rear wheels, inaccurate rear tires, and the interior with messy hanging wires and hot glue. I'm actually excited to get and open my copy now which I was planning to just leave sealed before.

Put me down for one your capes if that's okay.

100% agree I think the figure is fine as is. The custom cape will definitely be the only change I need but otherwise I'm satisfied with how he looks out of the box.

He’s been making custom sculpts for awhile now. He’s done a good handful of Cap headsculpts with a brand new set up for PO right now I believe, Henry Cavill Superman (JL and BvS), TDK and Begins cowls with mouthplates I think, and a bunch of 1/6 and 1/4 TDK Joker heads with different expressions and TDK Joker shoes.
Do you know where I can see these? I dont have social media so I rely on stores like OSK.

Do you know where I can see these? I dont have social media so I rely on stores like OSK.
As far as I know, he’s only sold his headsculpts through his Instagram and Facebook accounts like he used to do with this capes. He doesn’t have a website. Like Kit said above, they’re usually a limited run that aren’t offered to online stores in the way that he’s started to offer his capes through Kit. Painted versions usually cost an arm and a leg as well.

Instagram is your best bet unfornately. He posts all his works here.

"his"? That's just the QS001 sculpt copied exactly, which is what his previous sculpts already were and which is what the QS19 sculpt already is. Where's the value here?
Could be for all I know. :dunno It's a good looking sculpt regardless since it looks like he sculpted his own eyes.

nQo4V9c.png

Hot Toys seems to not want to shrink down the better features that they have on their 1/4 scale figure for whatever reason. They did a better job on the shoulder pads on the QS19 suit but they don't bother implementing that to this figure. Same goes for that abomination that is their Batman Begins figure. They have a much better cowl and sculpt on the QS figure but instead of shrinking that down, hey let's just reissue this 11 year old figure.

Last edited:
Instagram is your best bet unfornately. He posts all his works here.

Could be for all I know. :dunno It's a good looking sculpt regardless since it looks like he sculpted his own eyes.

nQo4V9c.png

Hot Toys seems to not want to shrink down the better features that they have on their 1/4 scale figure for whatever reason. They did a better job on the shoulder pads on the QS19 suit but they don't bother implementing that to this figure. Same goes for that abomination that is their Batman Begins figure. They have a much better cowl and sculpt on the QS figure but instead of shrinking that down, hey let's just reissue this 11 year old figure.

There's like a less than .001% chance what's in those photos is anything other than a scan of the QS001 sculpt, eyes included. Nothing wrong with doing that IMO as long as you credit where the original came from. I just find it odd he already did it years ago and there's an implication its somehow new now?

I did end up ordering him a couple nights back. :lol Paid in full so hopefully I’ll have him soon enough.

That may be true. I think this figure’s eyes are a huge improvement over Hot Toys’ past Bale Batman figures, but I think they still could maybe be set a bit higher or smaller. Still, it’s a great looking figure, and I’ll probably just display him with the angry, tooth-gritting mouth, which the wider eyes seem appropriate for.

I know Hot Toys has included swappable eye plates with some of their Batman figures, like their Batflecks and, I believe, Kilmer Batman? He did have a squinty look in a lot of scenes, which is something I’ve seen people mod into DX12s in the past.

300.bale.cm.3811.jpg

darkknight_movie_screencaps.com_16061.0.jpg

buildtopbatmanbale.png

That’s what my brain pulls up when I think of Bale’s Batman. Especially that last shot - I always thought he looked cool there.

I did end up ordering him a couple nights back. :lol Paid in full so hopefully I’ll have him soon enough.

That may be true. I think this figure’s eyes are a huge improvement over Hot Toys’ past Bale Batman figures, but I think they still could maybe be set a bit higher or smaller. Still, it’s a great looking figure, and I’ll probably just display him with the angry, tooth-gritting mouth, which the wider eyes seem appropriate for.

I know Hot Toys has included swappable eye plates with some of their Batman figures, like their Batflecks and, I believe, Kilmer Batman? He did have a squinty look in a lot of scenes, which is something I’ve seen people mod into DX12s in the past.

buildtopbatmanbale.png

That’s what my brain pulls up when I think of Bale’s Batman. Especially that last shot - I always thought he looked cool there.
Yeah I like that Pruitt scene a lot, probably still my favorite Batman scene on film. This picture below always kind of accidentally reminded me of that scene.

Swappable eye plates would be cool. Right now I think the DX19 is a little too good for me to invest in making another sculpt but we’ll see what the QS019 looks like. I’ve been weighing an option available to me to make a cowl that I can claim has near direct screen lineage but it will be pretty expensive upfront. If I decide to do it I plan to make copies that can accept Hot Toys eyes and chins so you can just order a painted cowl and pop stock accessories on. That would be very cost effective and yield an impressive result IMO.

Attachments

• A9AC9FEA-2D95-4EFD-A259-E3F19CFDA3D2.jpeg
    A9AC9FEA-2D95-4EFD-A259-E3F19CFDA3D2.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 43

300.bale.cm.3811.jpg

darkknight_movie_screencaps.com_16061.0.jpg

buildtopbatmanbale.png

Yeah I've yet to see anyone match his squinting look yet. Jaxon's comes the closest I've seen, which is why I think his sculpts tend to look better than the rest.

That last photo also reminds me of how he looks like in the interrogation scene. I think it's why I've never been a fan of Hot Toys sculpt. The eyes are a bit too wide and bug eyed looking at times. Think I've also associated Bales Batman look to be squinting more often than not.

With the way his scenes were shot and lit, you also don't usually see his entire eye ball, just a small glint of light reflecting off it surrounded by darkness. With the figures, the eyes are usually way more prominent and seen. Kind of throws the look off for me.

UuyYli6.png

Yeah I've yet to see anyone match his squinting look yet. Jaxon's comes the closest I've seen, which is why I think his sculpts tend to look better than the rest.
I have one of his sculpts. It's just a shrunken QS001 with no revisions and the eye details of the actual sculpt are soft. It's likely the paint/lighting in people's photos that's making it look different to you.

I'm only trying to hammer this home because I know he will never admit it himself and I feel like it's a little disingenuous to not admit you just shrunk someone else's work.

Back