HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So as a character in this series, I do not dislike Kathleen. I think she served her purpose. I really do not understand why people would whine about her not being leadership material, when it was pretty obvious from the last few episodes that she was never a good leader. She was basically riding the coattails of her dead brother.

In our country, we had something similar back in the 80's. Where our then president (who is the father of the current one we have now) ordered the assassination of a senator who was also his main political rival. That senator's wife who was a housewife then, had no political background then became the face and leader of the resistance that eventually overthrew that president.

If you made a film about her now, she'd probably not strike anyone as someone who could lead the resistance, because she was softspoken and was actually considered as a weak leader. But people followed her.

I kinda remembered her with Kathleen mostly because of the circumstance (an oppressive regime kills the leader of the resistance so his "partner" takes over). She on the other hand, was ha horrible person and I felt the show portrayed that well enough.

In the span of a few episodes, we saw the lost humanity in Joel, how humanity can thrive through love with Bill and Frank and now how lost people truly are. Ellie and Joel are both undergoing a good arc too as their relationship grows. Ellie saw how easy it is to end up alone again (her fear), and Joel can see how fast it is he can lose someone important again (Henry and Sam).

I am really digging the series. I can't wait to play the game after. :lol
I'm really interested in hearing what show only fans think of the game after they play it, if you can I highly recommend the PS5 version that was released last year.

I'm really interested in hearing what show only fans think of the game after they play it, if you can I highly recommend the PS5 version that was released last year.
I only have the PS4 version (since I only have a PS4 lol). I think it can go both ways. Playing as the character puts you in the moment, and does make you feel more emotionally invested in the characters.

Just caught up with episode 5, and holy moley! Great stuff, but really depressing. I now need to watch something to cheer me up.

Star Wars on FandomWire

1 d

This is the way.jpg

Aside from the scenes with Gabriel Luna as Tommy with Joel and Jackson being the main location I really did not like this episode, I'll just leave this here.

Last edited:
I liked it but there is just some stuff the game did better. That scene above and the college scene.
In the game is felt more brutal and hectic. Also you were getting jumped by like 20 guys. There was like 4 dudes who showed up lol. But i understand that it’s probably for the storytelling sake cause that one guy seemed important

Honestly I’m fine with this series so far as a game adaptation. I’ve seen way worse and down right disrespectful game adaptations in the past.

As Forest Gump would so eloquently say:

"And that's all I've got to say about that."

The Last of Pus.jpg

I thought this was a great episode. Some things the show does better and some things the game does better, but I think both have a place.

The show was never going to replace the game for people that are fans of it.

Great episode, though the college scenes were rushed. I saw Dina spying on Ellie and Joel as they ate and talked with Tommy and Maria, and Ellie snapped at her.

I liked it but there is just some stuff the game did better. That scene above and the college scene.
In the game is felt more brutal and hectic. Also you were getting jumped by like 20 guys. There was like 4 dudes who showed up lol. But i understand that it’s probably for the storytelling sake cause that one guy seemed important

Honestly I’m fine with this series so far as a game adaptation. I’ve seen way worse and down right disrespectful game adaptations in the past.
So far all the major scenes of the game haven't landed with the same emotional impact in the show imo, apart from Sarah.

To me this episode is the perfect example of why, we wasted one episode on Bill and Frank, two episodes on Kathleen, there's tons of content with Joel and Ellie that was cut which is integral to building their relationship and now they're also completely changing Joel's character and his dynamic with Ellie so when that iconic scene happens it doesn't hold the same weight I bet people won't even remember it when looking back at the rest of the season, the moment completely lacks the gravitas, emotion and soul that it's meant to have, I also thought the flashbacks of Sarah afterwards were cheap.

They like to tell and not show so they have Joel cry his heart out to Tommy about his woes going across the country with Ellie and his struggles of being an incompetent old man and while one could appreciate the scene for being properly acted it completely goes against who Joel is meant to be, he isn't meant to be having panic attacks every 5 minutes, he is a capable and violent man who doesn't allow himself to let his guard down not even around his brother because when he finally shows that softer side it hits hard we don't need him to literally spell out what he is feeling in a tear jerking Emmy baiting scene the beauty of Joel's character is that his feelings are displayed in his actions and his love and concern for Ellie is never expressed verbally, him being such a violent, capable and reserved survivor is what makes his change so profound and why when he finally cries for the second time after Sarah died which just so happens to be the last scene he's in in the second game it hurts you deeply because he's finally reached that point where he can allow himself to get that emotional in front of the person he cares about the most.

The University was completely butchered, that whole event is where their dynamic finally shifts, when Joel got impaled everyone thought that was it for him, everyone was in Ellie's shoes we were scared that we would be alone but after going through all she did with Joel she manages to get him out of that building crawling with raiders and get him to safety it was a huge moment for her character and it perfectly lead up to the winter chapter where she takes on the leading role, on the show I don't feel we've reached a point where that works because they haven't been through the same trials and tribulations they did in the game, it's rushed and much like every other important moment it doesn't land like it should.

I suspect the next episode will severely affect the pacing, they rushed their way to this moment and now instead of letting it lead right into winter they're going to spend an entire episode on Ellie and Riley, so far the pacing has been the biggest issue with this show, we're rushing important events and the most important aspect which is Joel and Ellie's bond so we can focus on side characters and stories which aren't as important as the writers want them to be.

Last edited:
Was that actually her?
I think it's heavily implied it is her, in fact it would be weird if it wasn't, this episode had a ton of Part 2 mentions and foreshadowing, my favorite cameo was Shimmer, I also liked seeing all the activities in Jackson that were only mentioned in the game.

Oops, now I'm 2 episodes behind. Oh well, I'll get around to it.
I've generally quite liked this series, but haven't fallen in love with it.
Maybe you need to have played the game to truly love this story?

I wonder with lights and all, how a town like Jackson survives without constant assaults? I mean, you'd see those lights from a long ways away.

And does FEDRA not fly aircraft around looking for "encampments" and new sources of power?

I guess I'm still a little unclear how this world all works.

I like the show, but it isn't horrific enough, it isn't tense enough (not like BrBa level), and it isn't complex enough (like Game of Thrones) to keep you very busy. It's a little boring.

I wonder with lights and all, how a town like Jackson survives without constant assaults? I mean, you'd see those lights from a long ways away.
In the show it's not addressed because the world is barren and there's not a whole lot of infected and raiders around, in the game Jackson has suffered bandit attacks and the dam which controls the power in the town is also attacked, to counter this Jackson has a very strict patrol in effect where people go out and clear out infected and report any encounters with bandits or other survivors, some survivors are brought in, Jackson also has huge walls with guard towers to keep it protected from all angles at all times.
And does FEDRA not fly aircraft around looking for "encampments" and new sources of power?

I guess I'm still a little unclear how this world all works.
Helicopters aren't a thing anymore, cars are really a luxury which only FEDRA and other big groups can afford, Joel and Ellie went through a lot of trouble in the game to get one from Bill, the main means of travel in the world are either by foot or by horse.

The show lacks the presence of infected and enemy factions which makes the world seem safer and more empty than what it's meant to be but FEDRA mainly operates in the QZs and their sorrounding areas in the game and I assume it's the same thing in the show.
I like the show, but it isn't horrific enough, it isn't tense enough (not like BrBa level), and it isn't complex enough (like Game of Thrones) to keep you very busy. It's a little boring.
Because they have removed almost every major action set piece, violence, gunfights and intense encounters with infected, the relationship between certain characters also lacks a necessary intensity.

Back