HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly thought they were doing this with the Ellie character in the show but because I was playing the game at the same time I probably just got confused between the two.

Episode 4 was ok, but I can't help but be disappointed by how much they're wussing out in the graphic violence department. Part of what makes the game so memorable is how brutal Joel is in dispatching his enemies.

Episode 4 was ok, but I can't help but be disappointed by how much they're wussing out in the graphic violence department. Part of what makes the game so memorable is how brutal Joel is in dispatching his enemies.
There’s just no need for it in the show. There’s plenty of video games that have over the top violence when it comes to kill and that’s fine, but while gamers are going to be invested in that, a mass TV audience isn’t. The Walking Dead lost a ton of viewers when Negan turned Glenn into spaghetti, but the comic book fans are that up. The audience in a show like this needs a strong story more than than need brutality.

I also think they don’t want to go quite down the rabbit hole of what a monster Joel is. People forget because of the way the first game ends and the second game starts, but before Joel ended up in the Boston QZ, Joel was a terrible person who hurt and tortured people because he could. He’s the hero of this show, and I don’t think they want to taint people’s view of him with actual acts when alluding to it can let people connect the dots themselves.

Well, Iike the game he hinted at his past in this episode and we haven't yet seen what he'll do when he's up against David's crew.

There’s just no need for it in the show. There’s plenty of video games that have over the top violence when it comes to kill and that’s fine, but while gamers are going to be invested in that, a mass TV audience isn’t. The Walking Dead lost a ton of viewers when Negan turned Glenn into spaghetti, but the comic book fans are that up. The audience in a show like this needs a strong story more than than need brutality.

I also think they don’t want to go quite down the rabbit hole of what a monster Joel is. People forget because of the way the first game ends and the second game starts, but before Joel ended up in the Boston QZ, Joel was a terrible person who hurt and tortured people because he could. He’s the hero of this show, and I don’t think they want to taint people’s view of him with actual acts when alluding to it can let people connect the dots themselves.

In my opinion there is a need for it because I'm the one watching the show and I enjoy that stuff. Other people can be fine with the toned down violence, but I'm not. That doesn't make the show bad though, just disappointing to me personally.

Well, Iike the game he hinted at his past in this episode and we haven't yet seen what he'll do when he's up against David's crew.
I’m starting to wonder how they’re going to get to everything to fully flesh this story out. There’s five episodes left, we still need to finish in Kansas City, find Tommy in Wyoming, traverse the college in Colorado, deal with winter/David, get to Salt Lake City and the whole ending. Having the season be ten episodes would have been much better.

This was my favourite episode so far.

The relationship between Joel and Ellie is gradually building. The more I see of Bella the more I see why she was chosen for the part. Ellie's presented as a complex character, an orphan in a chaotic world surrounded by death who lost her best friend to the virus. Joel directly addresses the problem facing kids growing up in this environment where the old laws are gone, replaced by a grey morality necessitated by survival.

Earlier in the truck, her, "I'm not family?" was a revealing line.

In my opinion there is a need for it because I'm the one watching the show and I enjoy that stuff. Other people can be fine with the toned down violence, but I'm not. That doesn't make the show bad though, just disappointing to me personally.
I think they're saving it, we've had a glimpse at what Joel is capable of so far but we're still supposed ot be rooting for him, I think it's intentional so that we can see what he's really capable of by the time the finale rolls around and to make people question if he's in the right or not.

I hope there's a really good reason why that woman is running that militia group in a post apocalyptic world where no one is going to give two ***** about equal opportunities.

The actress that played Tess, I could maybe buy into, but the actress they're using just doesn't feel like someone that people are going to rally behind in such desperate times. Even if she's a psychopath that happily shoots people, in those circumstances our modern sensibilities are going to be out the window, and it'll only be barbaric survival of the fittest. This group isn't in a QZ so there's no law (Fedra) to keep them in line.

I see what they're going for, but this is one deviation I don't like. The hunters don't need a Negan type face.

The focus is on Joel and Ellie, to a lesser extent Henry and Sam in the city part. Added to this, it's a shorter episode so you have a lot to cover in less time while adding unnecessary characters.

I agree with Jeremy Jahns. The oooohhhhh aaahhhhh thing of the first two episodes has faded now, and we're seeing what the show really brings to the table now.

I wish they didn't add Kathleen to this and just went a little quicker to Henry and Sam. This episode felt slow. I just don't buy her as an intimidating leader. If you watch the behind the episode thing they put at the end, Neil said that he wanted to humanize the group that attacked them, which I think is completely unnecessary. You don't need to humanize every villain.

What's under the concrete floor?

Spoiler Spoiler:

Seems like this was the episode a lot of us were waiting for, and they delivered imo. They are creating something that’s truly great. However polarized the world is nowadays, TLoU is surviving what was expected to be a big flop, not only appealing to fans of TLoU for the most part, but also the general public and critics. It’s a game adaptation guys, remember Doom? Resident Evil? I mean, to date probably the best adaptation I’d seen was Detective Pikachu, and that’s mostly because Ryan is a legend. This is on another level if you ask me.

Anywho, Bella is now getting the time she needed to develop the character, as has Pedro. I expected him to do great, I do believe he deserves every role he wants to have, money no object. He’s that good imo. Bella though… she keeps on getting better. In this episode she added a lot to the edgy Ellie we’d seen to this point, making her way more like the child in the game. Those laughs were quite natural, really reminded me of how good the game polished those kinds of details in the acting.

I do wonder however how are they going to fit what’s left of the game in the next 5 episodes though. Things are going to have to speed a lot. So many awesome moments to come still… can’t wait. It’s ok not to like it, sure thing nothing’s perfect… but it’s undoubtedly a good, enjoyable entertainment.

Back