God knows what's going on with Henry Cavill as Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Henry Cavill OUT as Superman

Race is totally irrelevant to Superman. Hell, he's an alien from a distant planet. Be more appropriate if he looked like the Planetary version.

latest

If they made him black, I'm sure there would be initial outrage by white folk, but people would get used to it just as they did with Nick Fury or, once upon a time, with John Stewart. Then no one would give it a second thought of course.

Sorry, but I disagree. I would just boycott it, just as I would boycott a black James Bond or a white Blade. Why change iconic characters? Are writers so mentally challenged that they can't create a great new black super hero? Do they have to change what is instead of creating?

Re: Henry Cavill apparently NOT out as Superman

Nah, the character is the icon. His skin color isn't. In the '30s, there was such a racist climate in this country and the western world that a black Superman had no chance of selling funny books. Superman has changed dramatically in many ways over time. In big ways when you're talking strength, his history, his powers and weaknesses, etc. Skin color would be no more of a noteworthy change than their taking his s-curl away, or taking away his red undies. Those things change all the time, and people accept it, or just focus more on the older stuff if they don't. But I know that people get attached to superficial things. I was that way with Hawkeye becoming generic special ops guy in the movie. But I've learned to live with it, and now it's no biggie.

For me, the curl, the trunks go with the character. I never liked his new look or new52. True, that's superficial and I agree that in the 30s, a black Superman would have been impossible. But we aren't in the 30s anymore and I can't see why no great black superhero has emerged yet.

Let's face it. Who in the general audience knew of Luke Cage or Black Panther before their screen fame?

I'm sure everyone would root for a James Bond colleague (say 006) who's black if the movie is great or the actor awesome. No racism there for me.

But to use established characters to promote diversity is for me a way to spit in the face of those who've been following them for decades. The day that happens is the day Superman dies for me...

Well the difference is you can't be called something very severe like 'racist' for being mad that they got rid of the undies outside his pants, or got rid of the S curl or muted the colours of his outfit but there will doubtless be people annoyed by those things.

If they make him black they are baiting people into objecting to it and then insinuating racism as the only possible reason for that objection. That's a game I find distasteful - and not one that should be played here, particularly when this is something that's supposed to make people feel like a kid again, it's supposed to be fun.

All that said, I'm not sure if there's any truth to them considering making Superman black, that could well just be clickbait reporting based on nothing at all.

If they want to lean more toward "realism" then an actor who isn't so earth-specific with regard to race would make more sense. Easiest way to do that is to go back to someone like Dean Cain who has a mixed ethnicity. Or they could just make Supes a two-headed octopus thing to *really* play up the alien angle, lol.

With regard to the proper way to represent characters' identities on screen I pretty much default to "do it right with the character's original race/gender then do whatever you want." We've had three Christopher Reeve-ish actors playing Superman in huge Hollywood productions so to me it's no big if they want to make a more dramatic change to spice things up.

People used to say "oh man Khev is gonna flip out when Chris Evans leaves the MCU and they recast Cap with *insert lame actor's name*" but really I won't care. We've had a proper Cap played by a likable actor in a version that is close enough to the source material for enough years now that I really don't care what they do from here on out. Same holds true for Superman, Batman, Bond, etc.

There could be a hint of truth. Will Smith was once considered for the role. But truth is you're right and we certainly won't see a new Supes movie before a very long time, so any announcement till then is just testing the audience reaction.

I just can’t picture a black, asian or latino Superman the same way I can’t picture a white, asian or latino Blade, Luke Cage or Black Panther.

I just can’t picture a black, asian or latino Superman the same way I can’t picture a white, asian or latino Blade, Luke Cage or Black Panther.

Until Ron Howard makes a movie about a white Black Panther who does a better job than Chadwick Boseman, lol.

Until Ron Howard makes a movie about a white Black Panther who does a better job than Chadwick Boseman, lol.

Yup totally.

Today jye be like nope nope nope.

After Ron Howard’s White Panther jye be like holy crap white panther KICKED ASS! :lol

I think Cavill's agent already tweeted he is still Superman.

Yup totally.

Today jye be like nope nope nope.

After Ron Howard’s White Panther jye be like holy crap white panther KICKED ASS! :lol

Well if Ron Howard's Black Panther is as dark and poorly-lit as some of those shots in Solo, then it won't matter because no one is going to be able to tell the actor's race in that kind of lighting. :monkey3

To think. If WB just didn’t put Snyder in charge of everything this wouldn’t have happened. If they listened to fans they’d be in a much better position. I can’t believe we live in a world where DC is struggling.

Re: Henry Cavill OUT as Superman

Sorry, but I disagree. I would just boycott it, just as I would boycott a black James Bond or a white Blade. Why change iconic characters? Are writers so mentally challenged that they can't create a great new black super hero? Do they have to change what is instead of creating?

Totally agree.

Well the difference is you can't be called something very severe like 'racist' for being mad that they got rid of the undies outside his pants, or got rid of the S curl or muted the colours of his outfit but there will doubtless be people annoyed by those things.

If they make him black they are baiting people into objecting to it and then insinuating racism as the only possible reason for that objection. That's a game I find distasteful - and not one that should be played here, particularly when this is something that's supposed to make people feel like a kid again, it's supposed to be fun.

All that said, I'm not sure if there's any truth to them considering making Superman black, that could well just be clickbait reporting based on nothing at all.

Well said.

So from what i understand according to Grace Cavil wants A list money and A list treatment. He is a good actor Cavil and i love him as Superman but is no where near an oscar quality actor.

Cavill is an idiot.

RDJ MADE Marvel billions he easily was in a very strong position to make demands.

JL is the LOWEST GROSSING DCEU movie!!!!!!!!

Cavill ain’t got nothing, zilch, nada, sit dafuq down you ain’t no RDJ hell you’re not even Rocket Racoon level!

WB is like GTFO are you serious making demands like you’re RDJ!

You’re lucky we’re even taking you back at base SAG levels.

IF TRUE(not sure it is):
a big chapter of the DCEU closes- for certain. I'm sure Affleck is out , too and a reboot will come in a few years.

I had no idea Cavill was difficult to work with- seems like a very down-to-earth guy in all the interviews I've seen. I have to process all this.

So... is it official? It wouldn’t surprise me, but it would sadden me, I thought Cavill was a great Superman.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Back