Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously losing Cavill is a major loss. One of the few universally loved aspects of the DCEU, and he did deserve better/another crack at the character in a different context than we've seen him. Really though, a lot of it can be chalked up to the failures of WB in the past 10 years. It ALL goes back to them not having a proper plan. WB should have either stuck by Snyder's vision and ran with it through and through, or killed this universe after the controversy of BVS, Ayer's Suicide Squad, and the 2017 Justice League. None of this half in, half out. None of the trying to salvage bits and pieces and creating a convoluted mess.

I like Snyder's trilogy, quite a bit actually despite having some bigger issues with it too. I can throw Wonder Woman 1 in there because it's pretty solid and clearly has Snyder's influence on it. Gunn's Suicide Squad, while surprisingly divisive in the fan community at times, was one of my favourite comicbook movies of the past few years. But EVERYTHING else in the DCEU, I could do without. I also don't love Snyder's complete vision enough to want to see anymore of it, especially at this point.

It's ripping off a band-aid for sure, but I think a HARD reset is needed. WB should have done what they're doing with Gunn/Safran way, way earlier. I think starting from scratch is for the best, it's just unfortunate that you have to let go of the good elements along with the bad.

And no, The Batman should stay in it's own continuity. It reminds me of Earth One, a grittier but comicbooky elseworlds story. Do not try to force the Justice League into that universe, because it was not designed with the intention to do so.

Pretty much doomed their entire DC slate for next year (Flash, Shazam, Blue Beetle, and Aquaman). Why spend money to see them in theaters if you know they don't matter?
I mean we can still enjoy movies as is. I feel like one of the bad thing MCU has done is that it made a lot of of people feel they need to watch a movie just for the sake of getting caught up with what's going on, not everything has to be connected like the MCU.

It's ripping off a band-aid for sure, but I think a HARD reset is needed. WB should have done what they're doing with Gunn/Safran way, way earlier. I think starting from scratch is for the best, it's just unfortunate that you have to let go of the good elements along with the bad.

And no, The Batman should stay in it's own continuity. It reminds me of Earth One, a grittier but comicbooky elseworlds story. Do not try to force the Justice League into that universe, because it was not designed with the intention to do so.
I think I am starting to agree with that. It has become such a mess that a hard reset is needed. I really want to see Henry cavill as Superman and gal gadot as Wonder Woman again but I think it would be hard to build momentum again if they just continued. Too much baggage. Honestly, I would be good with continuing to use the actors from the Snyderverse with whatever they are wanting to do but I suspect that would be confusing to the general audience, I do wich they would use Pattinson batman as the new DECU batman and have “The Batman” as the starting point of the new canon. I think having just 1 Batman going forward would be nice.

WB truly are a messed up company.

WB TOLD CAVILL TO ANNOUNCE TO THE WORLD THAT HE IS RETURNING AS SUPERMAN AND THEN THEY DO THIS!

Hey The Rock….you’re FIRED!

Didn't a similar thing just happen with Gadot? WW3 on again, off again...

This may sound really superficial but if they give us a Batman in comic-style grey suit I might be interested. But otherwise I've got reboot/general CBM fatigue.

I can deal with ZSJL being the last DCEU movie. Im ready for a reboot(I think Pattanson Batman will now be the main Batman)

I mean we can still enjoy movies as is. I feel like one of the bad thing MCU has done is that it made a lot of of people feel they need to watch a movie just for the sake of getting caught up with what's going on, not everything has to be connected like the MCU.
I get that but it's different for the DCEU movies than The Batman or The Joker movies where we know they are their own contained things that aren't part of these larger universes so we enjoy them independently. I know my dad says he really dislikes having all these interconnected movies and prefers the individual ones. I can go either way as I just want really well made comicbook movies.

That said, these DCEU movies are/were sold as sort of a package deal and intended to be all connected. So, there is already pre-existing expectation on hints, nods, etc. to be in those movies, especially since we've already seen the individual heroes come together in JL/ZSJL. We know (at least with the info we currently have) that those movies now lead to nowhere. Maybe they'll remove any of the hints, nods, cameos in the final cuts though.

Unfortunately, we're in a world where Marvel did it, and did it so well (at least at the beginning) and made a lot of money doing it, that now everyone sees that as the only way forward; so, we're stuck with that model, at least for now.

But, like @ShadowGuardian mentioned above, a HARD reset was needed as nothing seemed to be coming together at this point b/c every movie since has been plague with a sort of Snyderverse curse if you will. I really loved the Snyderverse overall. Sure, I didn't 100% agree with everything nor did I think it was the best thing ever, but I really did like what was trying to be built. However, it's time to just move on I think, even if it means losing the good parts we had like Cavill's Superman.

Last edited:
How do you know? Did they say anything?
I don't know - I'm just speculating. But that was the way that JJ was going to go, so it wouldn't be a stretch to think they will go down that path now that they are free of Cavill?

Who knows?

If this new DC universe turns into the MCU, both in tone and overall structure, then I'll be more upset. Post-Endgame, I have been really, really unhappy with the whole MCU in general. They do make it so it seems like you have to watch every movie and every show.

I know Gunn is going to be having overlap between movies, tv shows, and video games, but if DC is able to replicate the comics in the sense that everything is connected but you can totally get away with just watching say the Superman movies, that would be perfect. I'll watch everything if it's great, but the problem with the MCU now is too much mediocrity that it just isn't worth it. Same goes for Star Wars. I would hate to see the exact same thing happen to the DCU.

I think I am starting to agree with that. It has become such a mess that a hard reset is needed. I really want to see Henry cavill as Superman and gal gadot as Wonder Woman again but I think it would be hard to build momentum again if they just continued. Too much baggage. Honestly, I would be good with continuing to use the actors from the Snyderverse with whatever they are wanting to do but I suspect that would be confusing to the general audience. I do wish they would use Pattinson batman as the new DECU batman and have “The Batman” as the starting point of the new canon. I think having just 1 Batman going forward would be nice.
From what's been said, that was one plan Gunn had, but Matt Reeves gave that a hard "no" b/c he wants his Batman not part of any larger universe. So currently, the word is that both The Batman 2 and Joker 2 will be the final versions of those independent "universes" with a clean slate afterwards for one cohesive universe going forward. Of course, money talks, so who really knows what's going to happen.

Things are changing daily or even hourly at this point so we don't really know what's actually going to happen.

First we had WW3 cancelled, then WW3 with Gal but no Patty Jenkins. Then, we had Gunn's tweet about liking Cavill and wanting to make Superman a priority, but now Cavill is officially not coming back. Pretty sure it's only a matter of time before the rest of Snyderverse actors get canned. It's said he also met with Affleck but for directing a DCU movie rather than acting in one.

Apparently, Gunn's current take on the next Superman movie will be very much based on the Superman: Earth One book/Superman: Man of Tomorrow animated movie with a younger Superman in his early Daily Planet days, which would make sense if Jason Mamoa is now being cast as Lobo given that Lobo is the initial antagonist in the Man of Tomorrow animated movie that kind of exposes Superman to the world.

Given that it's been said Gunn wants all media (movies, TV, animation and games) to be one universe, it wouldn't surprise me if he maybe tries to adapt the new Animated Universe movies (post-Apokolips War) that have already been released into live action movies and then from there, everything else follows the live-action. That includes Superman: Man of Tomorrow, Justice Society: WW2, Batman: The Long Halloween, and Green Lantern: Beware My Power.

Last edited:
While I love Cavil I think they did the right decision. Sadly the whole DCEU is a huge faliure and a big mess and I can understand why they want to reboot everything. Too many bad things, decisions associated with this world and at this point it is beyond saving. Also if they want to make a 10 year plan, Henry is already too old for the future as Superman.

Better to drop everything and go towards a new and fresh direction. It is understandable that lot's of people are pissed and angry right now but if they manage to make really good and quality movies people will eventually get behind.

Now the question is who will be the new Batman? Matt Reeves and Gunn said on twitter (according to Reddit) The Batman won't be connected which IMO is a bad idea. I don't want 2 Batmen not to mention we wont see solo movies for the new DCU Batman probably for a long while cause Pattinson and his trilogy.

By the Way The Batman is a great movie and it could serve as a strong starting point for the new universe.

Last edited:
Good luck Gunn. You humiliated Cavill and alienated a large proportion of the fan base in one go. I've been feeling the fatigue of these cape movies for a while now so the decision for me not to watch this DCENew will be an easy one.

Contrary to Tarantino's thoughts on this matter, I've only been tuning in for these movies in more recent years to either see a serious actor in a movie which happens to be a cape movie or to follow the continuation of the story of a character played by an actor I have enjoyed in the role for a number of years. Maybe at the beginning of the cape explosion the characters alone were the most important draw, largely down to the novelty in many cases of seeing these characters on the big screen or seeing them interact with each other. However, I feel that we are in the twilight years of cape movies now after the highs of the infinity saga and stale mediocrity of phase 4, where that drawing power is greatly diminished.

I will catch the next Reeve's batman and Todd Philips Joker sequel but otherwise I'm out for DC

Hopefully Cavill gets Bond now. Everyone's favourite Grace is going to be unbearable now, she has the largest hate boner for Cavill so I'm sure she will react to this news in similar fashion to when my dog spies fox poo, she is gonna be rolling all over this.

Anyone gas lighting people for being racist for not wanting to see a black superman shame on you. First of all you have no idea of the ethnicity and background of the person you are talking to across the Internet and secondly I'm fed up with everyone resorting to labelling someone else because they can't be bothered to articulate their actual argument.

Well that’s it I’m done. Won’t be watching a reboot of these characters all over again. Especially not one written by James freaking Gunn. Remember when we were led to believe he’d be just the Fiege here, pulling the pieces but the creative work would be done by others. No he’s just doing it himself. Freaking wow.

Either way…I’m glad for the years we had with Henry’s Superman. Man Of Steel will always be one of my absolute favourite comic book movies, and Henry will always be Superman in my book. Change comes for us all. Getting the Snyder Cut at all was a complete and utter win. I’m grateful for that. Those who are excited about the future, or who didn’t vibe with the Snyder movies, I’m thrilled for you. But I’m going to happily sit this reboot out.
It's a shock but I'm fine with it. I didn't want to see Cavill slum it in Gunn's DC movies anyway. Plus that small glimmer of hope I have that Zack does finish what he started, Cavill would be way less likely to come back if he had spent 10 years doing dick and fart jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back