Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope there is no Snyder involvement or anything like that moving forward. Let’s start fresh and leave the Snyder stuff on the side. Want to see what other people bring to the table
That's where they went wrong, by chopping and changing rather than letting him tell his full story arcs

They keep changing their minds which leads to rushed and unfinished stories and reboots after reboots with no consistency

If they really are doing batfleck vs deathstroke, I'd like snyder to be involved in some way

I hope there is no Snyder involvement or anything like that moving forward. Let’s start fresh and leave the Snyder stuff on the side. Want to see what other people bring to the table
If Black Adam is any indication than the future is looking bad. Synder did million times better at every department compared to what they did with Black Adam. It is not even a contest. Just terrible movie all around.

That's where they went wrong, by chopping and changing rather than letting him tell his full story arcs

They keep changing their minds which leads to rushed and unfinished stories and reboots after reboots with no consistency

If they really are doing batfleck vs deathstroke, I'd like snyder to be involved in some way
This ! No one is saying he should stay there forever. I just want to see the end of the arc he had planned, even if it heavily modified now considering what has happened in the meantime. In fact I'd prefer it is not the same from that story board which they had up.

MoS 2, Batfleck vs Deathstroke, JL 2 + 3 and I'd be happy.

This ! No one is saying he should stay there forever. I just want to see the end of the arc he had planned, even if it heavily modified now considering what has happened in the meantime. In fact I'd prefer it is not the same from that story board which they had up.

MoS 2, Batfleck vs Deathstroke, JL 2 + 3 and I'd be happy.
Same here! Personally I love Man of Steel and ZS JL. Bat vs Sup not so much but I wanna see the end of his vision and at least he has an arc and actually put some effort into his movies unlike in a case of our movie universe savior entry Rock Adam. Zack still has the 2 best movies in the DCEU. By the way I am too wanna see the Bat vs Deatstroke movie. I just do not care about the Pattinson universe.

Anyway sadly DC movies are still all over the place with 3 Batman and a questionable future and direction. So far it does not look good but we will see.

Yeah just let Zack finish his five film arc. That’s all he ever wanted to do to begin with. I don’t see him doing anything other than that such as directing Cavill in MoS 2, etc.

So I saw Black Adam and… wow.

First something that will cushion this a bit for folks that liked it. My wife goes with me to see superhero and other fantasy adventure flicks and she really loved it. She doesn‘t dissect movies intellectually like I do. She just opened her mind to a good old fashioned popcorn superhero movie and was very entertained. She had a grand time.

As for me… not so much. First observation is that I was surprised by BA’s overall vibe or aesthetic, i.e., the approach to the superhero genre itself. It feels like something that was made more than 10 years ago, if not 20. Like it uses a stylistic approach to the genre that actually goes that far back. And as such it has an unmistakably camp feel. That was not a golden era of superhero films! The movies were pretty bad then! For most of us, Nolan‘s Batman trilogy and the MCU cleansed our palette from all that. But BA harks back to it. It’s such an odd choice. Superman Returns and Wonder Woman 84 try to recapture the innocent vibe of 1978 Superman and the 80s Wonder Woman TV show, and they fail, but there was something charming about those inspirations. The type of movie that BA is conjuring is from an era when the movies were just hokey and poorly made.

I knew what I was in for in the first action scene that uses a pop tune for the soundtrack. I won’t spoil specifically, but I was involuntarily laughing out loud at it because it felt so forced to me. Unfortunately I was unable to put that toothpaste back into the tube. It set a template for me, a lens to watch the film through, that actually made the whole movie unintentionally hilarious to me. Especially in the context of it being the launch of “the new DCEU” and “Phase One” of that new era, etc. Johnson having labored over this film for over 10 years or what have you. Oh man, lol. In that aspect is it so bad it’s good.

I have more to say about the movie after wife and I go for a morning walk.

Last edited:
I keep seeing the word fun being used alot to describe The Rock playing The Rock.

Look I remember being drunk having fun with 2 overtly indulged ugly girls but that doesn’t mean I didn’t regret it the next day lol

Hearing Cavill Superman is back didn’t make me feel better it just made me more sad that he’s back without Snyder at the wheel.

So I saw Black Adam and… wow.

First something that will cushion this a bit for folks that liked it. My wife goes with me to see superhero and other fantasy adventure flicks and she really loved it. She doesn‘t dissect movies intellectually like I do. She just opened her mind to a good old fashioned popcorn superhero movie and was very entertained. She had a grand time.

As for me… not so much. First observation is that I was surprised by BA’s overall vibe or aesthetic, i.e., the approach to the superhero genre itself. It feels like something that was made more than 10 years ago, if not 20. Like it uses a stylistic approach to the genre that actually goes that far back. And as such it has an unmistakably camp feel. That was not a golden era of superhero films! The movies were pretty bad then! For most of us, Nolan‘s Batman trilogy and the MCU cleansed our pallet from all that. But BA beckons back to it. It’s such an odd choice. Superman Returns and Wonder Woman 84 try to recapture the innocent vibe of 1978 Superman and the 80s Wonder Woman TV show, and they fail, but there was something charming about those inspirations. The type of movie that BA is conjuring is from an era when the movies were just hokey.

I knew what I was in for in the first action scene that uses a pop tune for the soundtrack. I won’t spoil specifically, but I was involuntarily laughing out loud at it because it felt so forced to me. Unfortunately I was unable to put that toothpaste back into the tube. It set a template for me, a lens to watch the film through, that actually made the whole movie unintentionally hilarious to me. Especially in the context of it being the launch of “the new DCEU” and “Phase One” of that new era, etc. Johnson having labored over this film for over 10 years or what have you. Oh man, lol. In that aspect is it so bad it’s good.

I have more to say about the movie after wife and I go for a morning walk.
Am so glad you also mentioned the forced pop music !! It took me out of the film sooo much !! My first thought was "that's gotta be an exec "note"". I can hear Emmerich now. "Put in some music like James Gunn did. That worked great !!" Little does he know that Gunn choses his music beforehand and builds the scene more or less around the music.

In fact there is one bit at the end where there is the score, then a pop song, then almost a clean cut back to the score. So bad ! And I'm not a score guy really at all !

And the whole Dirty Harry on TV thing and the "say the catch phrase first" thing was so Terminator or any of those 90's / 00's movies with a character in a "fish out of water" type context.

Anyway, all that said I think the Superman post credit scene "buzz" will interest more people into going to see it, than may have gone without it. So like you mentioned a box office somwhere in the vacinity of $600k could be possible.

But surely when you compare that with MoS or ZSJL (except the end "addendum scenes" which had to be tacked on somewhat) then they flow and are so much more modern and mature in their story telling.

Interested in your "post walk" thoughts on the movie :)

I keep seeing the word fun being used alot to describe The Rock playing The Rock.

Look I remember being drunk having fun with 2 overtly indulged ugly girls but that doesn’t mean I didn’t regret it the next day lol

Hearing Cavill Superman is back didn’t make me feel better it just made me more sad that he’s back without Snyder at the wheel.
Stay positive guys and if any, most of the audiences even the (cough,cough... critics) agreed that DC have a potential bright future ahead and surfing around the net and YTs, even most of them geekdom championed DC over the recent MCU direction.

And If there's any consolation for you guys, the next solo movie MOS will be produced by Nolan and Snyder alumni, Charles Roven and looking for a new writer. I hope Cavill can bring his input as he knows his character better and also bring back Chris Macquarie of M:I series or Joe Kosinski to write for the sequel or direct, Top Gun Maverick is one of the most satisfying, patriotic (without being preachy) and cathartic movie of to date and delivers in every aspect.

If Black Adam is any indication than the future is looking bad. Synder did million times better at every department compared to what they did with Black Adam. It is not even a contest. Just terrible movie all around.
I get that. But I personally just believe it’s WB who sucks at direction. And I personally don’t want Snyder back because I just feel his direction is terrible. This movie looks bad and I won’t see it. But I don’t think having Snyder back will fix everything magically. Like it or not his movies were divisive.

I think WB needs to either sell the rights or get someone who actually loves these characters. And knows what they are doing. Just get someone from the animated division for heavens sake lol

That’s on them and the studio. The studio sucked big time yes but snyders “vision” also didn’t click with everyone. I know that’s a tough pill for some to swallow but it’s the truth. But I don’t blame him fully. You can’t just let one director run a universe and then pull back when it’s not doing so hot.

They just are afraid of their characters and don’t know what to do with them. This has always been the case. They think their characters won’t sell so they haven’t touched them until the mcu made money with a talking tree and raccoon. Now they want to play catch up. They had a full head start of the genre and they sat on billion dollar ips cause they were “not going to sell”
Honestly I think they should sell the characters

That’s on them and the studio. The studio sucked big time yes but snyders “vision” also didn’t click with everyone. I know that’s a tough pill for some to swallow but it’s the truth. But I don’t blame him fully. You can’t just let one director run a universe and then pull back when it’s not doing so hot.

They just are afraid of their characters and don’t know what to do with them. This has always been the case. They think their characters won’t sell so they haven’t touched them until the mcu made money with a talking tree and raccoon. Now they want to play catch up. They had a full head start of the genre and they sat on billion dollar ips cause they were “not going to sell”
Do you know that WB has been bought by Discovery and ALL the execs responsible for the crap movies which were Josstice League, the first Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, WW84 etc are gone ?

That makes a HUGE difference. There are now people in place who want Cavill Superman, Affleck Batman, Gadot etc in more movies and stand alone movies. The new Execs DeLuca and Abdy are at one with Zaslav who wants to have a more connected universe and build it like Marvel did. They even have Alan Horn (who was previously at DC, and at Disney for the last 10 yerars or so) advising on how to make things better.

So I have faith that this new team will NOT make the clear mistakes of WB of the last 5-6 years. Any arguments based on the old leadership don't hold water any more.

If they Emmerich and Co were still there then, yes I would agree with you totally.

Do you know that WB has been bought by Discovery and ALL the execs responsible for the crap movies which were Josstice League, the first Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, WW84 etc are gone ?

That makes a HUGE difference. There are now people in place who want Cavill Superman, Affleck Batman, Gadot etc in more movies and stand alone movies. The new Execs DeLuca and Abdy are at one with Zaslav who wants to have a more connected universe and build it like Marvel did. They even have Alan Horn (who was previously at DC, and at Disney for the last 10 yerars or so) advising on how to make things better.

So I have faith that this new team will NOT make the clear mistakes of WB of the last 5-6 years. Any arguments based on the old leadership don't hold water any more.

If they Emmerich and Co were still there then, yes I would agree with you totally.
Yup this.

This BA movie is a weird marriage.

The movie itself is old regime and Cavill post credits is new regime, hopefully a pro Snyder regime. I really hope the Rock respects Snyder.

What’s making me nauseous is the old regime booting Snyder out yet STEALING his style from him just look at BA for crying out loud.

The old regime didn’t even have the talent or guts to create their own style they had to steal from him.

To those that say WB will never work with Snyder again with his JL arc I say this….you don’t know Hollywood.

Last edited:

See people keep saying this but nobody really knows what they want. They keep saying this guy is going to do so much stuff but it’s not confirmed as of yet. But yea I hope the new team gives us something.
So you didn’t like the first suicide squad?

Given time I think it would have. People liked Man of Steel in general, not so much the theatrical cut of BvS, more people liked (also absolutely loved) the UE). ZSJL though is really well-liked pretty much across the board.

Eh idk. That film was divisive. Mos was panned cause of the ending scene by fans and bvs was a bloated mess that only fans who saw the directors cut liked.

Eh idk. That film was divisive. Mos was panned cause of the ending scene by fans and bvs was a bloated mess that only fans who saw the directors cut liked.
Which film was divisive?

I've seen quite a few converts (review critics) of BvS UE that weren't fans, even more after ZSJL because they could see where it was going.

Which film was divisive?

I've seen quite a few converts (review critics) of BvS UE that weren't fans, even more after ZSJL because they could see where it was going.
Man of steel was and I remember. People were mad about a lot of things about that movie

The pa Kent stuff
Superman’s attitude
The hope stuff.
The fighting in the city.
The movie was extremely panned by fans back then.
But again bvs could have a good directors cut. I’ve never seen it but I doubt it could fix the horrible issues I had with the film.

The rushed death of Superman
The silly flash scene
The camera scene showing the JL which was forced.
Batman being older than superman and being this old worn guy who is tired. Hate that trope and I hate how tdkr influenced that movie.
Lex Luther. Horrible casting .
Doomsday. Horrible design.
A Batman vs Superman film but they barely fought. Very lackluster fight.

Couldn’t see past all that and can’t see how a directors cut can fix that. But that’s me.

Continuing with my Black Adam review… I don’t want to bash away on Black Adam because its just not constructive. I wasn’t able to find much that I could get into. As mentioned some will enjoy it. Or they will at least find some things to like about it, etc.

Just a quick comment though about the end credits scene. And unfortunately yeah, it’s negative, lol. For me it was underwhelming, especially after all the hype the built up about it. I mean of course it was great to see Cavill suited up again (well, even that was compromised, I’ll mention why next sentence), but it was literally 5 seconds. The mustard yellow color in the insignia was jarring to me, the suit looked ugly overall. The score I didn’t even notice during the film. But from what I understand it’s just a few notes from the main theme that isn’t the rousing iconic part, and its played slowly and softly; then it quickly changes to something else. Most viewers will make zero connection to 1978 Reeves Superman.

Last edited:
I’m actually one of those converts I was a phase 1-2-3 MCU snob but honestly what pushed me there was Snyder himself I still think it’s his one misstep when he went on the media circuit and bashed the MCU specifically Ant-man as fluff and it did eventually bite him in the ass so yeah sure I was vinegar towards Superman breaking necks, destroying cities and Pa Kent suicide.

I was just OK with BVS theatrical and honestly the extended cut while definitely better there are still some glaring issues with it including that silly Lois Lane fruit epiphany and Batman refusing to listen too Superman before the fight started.

The Infinity Saga is a masterpiece and and a memorable legendary time at the cinema but I eventually came around on the Snyderverse and now actually LOVE it ALL including BvS extended!

I’ve really grown to appreciate what Snyder was going for.

I like Luthor jr and his urine trolling was freaking epic and honestly hasn’t been equalled by Marvel yet!

The least said about Marvel phase 4 the better although NWH was a great time worthy of Phase 1-2-3 the lessons Peter was subjected too was powerful enough to move me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back