EXO-6 Star Trek "The Wrath of Khan" Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before people start panicking, the coats were never red with white collars.

gettyimages-691253350.jpg

I know this seemIngly goes directly against the point Jar-Jar made above, but I think that off-white look is a product of the lighting used in that scene.

Take a look at these screen shots below. Even Captain Terrell’s rank clip on his right shoulder and David’s shirt appear slightly tinted to the yellow/ivory in this scene and we know for sure those are white in other scenes.

Also, the collars lit from behind in the second shot certainly look white.

For the record, I think the white color EXO used in the Saavik prototype is far more pleasing and jibes much better with my memory of the jacket.

IMG_4859.jpeg
IMG_4857.jpeg
IMG_4860.jpeg
IMG_4862.jpeg

Last edited:
On-set lighting can trick the eye, but if we accept that Kirk's undershirt is definitely white, then the coat collar is definitely a shade darker, as can be seen in the first pic.

On-set lighting can trick the eye, but if we accept that Kirk's undershirt is definitely white, then the coat collar is definitely a shade darker, as can be seen in the first pic.

I was re-looking at that shot and that is hard to argue.

But if we accept that those collars were not the purest white, I think we can also agree that that Greg Jein relic doesn't come anywhere near approximating the true look of that jacket in 1982.

I just hope EXO doesn't run off halfcocked on this based on that dried up antique and deprive us of what may be their best tailoring work to date!

Last edited:
I saw what Nanjin said on Facebook. He never says he wants to match the colors of the jacket in the Greg Jein collection. He indicates that the red is fine, but the pure white will be changed to an off-white/ivory/light cream. That's not inaccurate. He doesn't say beige or tan or whatever.

I saw what Nanjin said on Facebook. He never says he wants to match the colors of the jacket in the Greg Jein collection. He indicates that the red is fine, but the pure white will be changed to an off-white/ivory/light cream. That's not inaccurate. He doesn't say beige or tan or whatever.

Yep! I remain hopeful that they don't take it too far...

Pretty sure these were done by the man himself as well 😂
LOL really? Well, that's good for being on your own over a decade ago. I sure couldn't do that.

But clearly there's no comparison to what's being produced by Exo6. Just goes to show what can change when you have some real money behind you.

I’m not familiar with DS Studios but I think it’s a good effort considering it’s likely a small scale operation and unlicensed. While some of these fan projects lack in refined detail, they don’t lack passion. Kudos to them for trying.

DS Studios was me (Darren) and Nanjin (Schubert). I did those sculpts and while happy with them from certain angles, I always struggled with symmetry and head size on what werev essentially my first full head sculpts.

Despite our plans for me to work on all his future figures, I had to back away to focus on my painting commissions as I quickly realised that I was SLOW at sculpting, and would have never been able to do them at the speed I knew he would ultimately need.

I wish I'd learnt digital sculpting in the years since, I suspect the tools on offer there would have helped me with my struggles, letting me focus on what I was good at. Having an eye for likenesses.

Just not in wax though, to a specific size lol (in chasing the likeness sometimes the head would get slightly bigger or smaller, resulting in me needing to shrink the head, thereby changing the proportions and ******* up the likeness again) 😂

But yeah don't pay 1,500 for those 😂 wait for the infinitely superior Exo versions
Darren! When I stumbled across this listing a few months ago I went scouring through the archives to learn about the effort. It was a blast reading about the initial offering and see what y’all pulled off at the time. A part of me wanted to grab them (not for this much) more so for having some of the earlier precursor projects to exo.

DS Studios was me (Darren) and Nanjin (Schubert). I did those sculpts and while happy with them from certain angles, I always struggled with symmetry and head size on what werev essentially my first full head sculpts.

Despite our plans for me to work on all his future figures, I had to back away to focus on my painting commissions as I quickly realised that I was SLOW at sculpting, and would have never been able to do them at the speed I knew he would ultimately need.

I wish I'd learnt digital sculpting in the years since, I suspect the tools on offer there would have helped me with my struggles, letting me focus on what I was good at. Having an eye for likenesses.

Just not in wax though, to a specific size lol (in chasing the likeness sometimes the head would get slightly bigger or smaller, resulting in me needing to shrink the head, thereby changing the proportions and ******* up the likeness again) 😂
These look great. Considering that you guys have these years of practice and experience with TWOK and were 75 % —- 90 % of the journey there on these what is taking sooo long while you are able to churn out preorders on new properties like SNW and P3 ? Lat summer TWOK Spock was predicted for a September preorder at the convention.

Easy to criticize now, but back when these came out, you were lucky to have them. Nanjin Tam produced them. I bought all 3 directly from him. I am happy to have them. They have an artistic charm to them...like owning good prototypes.
I should apologize. I didn't realize the history of those things when the picture was put up. I just saw the price and reacted.

Like I says later on, it's certainly far better than I could have done.

Back