EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really happy to read your statement about Nurse Chapel, Nanjin! But in addition to the eight in that photo, my hope for the TOS (beside "The Cage" versions of Pike, Number One, and Spock) is for a Yeoman Rand. Is she too obscure a character?

Hearing everyone's varied opinions on the series reminds me of one of the things I love about Star Trek - how so many generations can take a different Trek as their own. I still fondly remember being 10 years old in 1987 watching the premier of TNG on a 13 inch TV while doing my homework, thinking this is how Star Trek (TOS) should have looked if it were made today. Of course that notion makes many TOS fans cringe.

That show stayed with me every week until Jr. year of high school. Seven short years, so much change. It literally is the Trek I grew up on.

There are fans growing up right now on DSC and PIC. For them, this is Star Trek, and that's all part of the reason I will always root for Trek's success, whether I like the show or not. We all start and end at different points, but we all share the common journey. At its best, it's a wonderful, hopeful journey that teaches us about ourselves... and is always just beginning.

I totally agree with what you are saying. Unfortunately we have supposed Trek fans out on social media actively lying about new Trek and even rooting for it to be canceled. Almost as if they'd prefer no Trek. Conversely there are new Trek fans, who hate old Trek, and want it to just go away. It just boggles my mind. Like what you like and let others do the same, no need to trash talk something just because you don't like it.

My first Trek was TOS. I was born just a little to late for first run, but they played it on the CBC across the border on Saturday afternoons. I watched in awe as the animated series aired on Saturday mornings. When the age of VHS was upon us, I subscribed to Columbia House and collected them all bucause I HAD to have them. I risked the wrath of my dad (I was expected to do farm chores) when I begged to go with friends to see TMP. I thrilled at TWOK and cried when the Enterprise was lost in STIII.
TOS will always hold my heart, but that love has never stopped me from liking what came after. I’ll never really understand the vehement hatred against subsequent Trek. It took a bit to warm up to Next Gen in my college years, but once Picard stopped surrendering every other episode, I grew to love it too. DS9 told stories you wouldn’t have expected to see like Pale Moonlight and showed Trek could have some real grit! VOY, ENT, DSC, PIC, LD...it’s all Trek to me.

My first foray into 1/6 collecting was the Trek figures from QMx - i didn’t know about Nanjin’s journey then, but I knew I was drawn to collecting them and I knew it was damned hard to find a McCoy! I’m all in for Exo-6 as I’m all in for what Trek comes next!

You what it actually boils down to on which Trek that we prefer in our own minds?

It's called "Refusal" and also "Stubbornness" to adapt new things that we all see on a daily basis and make rash decisions without making proper assessments and not look at the bigger picture.

Althought I'm more of a Star Wars fan, deep inside of myself, my exposure to Trek (since in my early years) will always be a defining moment in my own personal life.

Note: My user name is based on a reference from the Borg Collective in what they actually do. Plus in another forum that I'm in, one of the members referred to me as an "Assimilated Friend". :lol

It isn't a "Love ALL Trek or you are stubborn or stuck to your old ways" mind-frame at all.

To a vast majority of fans, TOS created the original universe. TNG expanded upon it. DS9 took the universe to different places and VOY provided a way to link them all, even if thrown into a different quadrant of the galaxy. The films easily slipped in between the different series without drastically interrupting the flow. ENT managed to provide some early insights to this universe, even if it was not allowed to complete its "mission".

JJ Abram's Trek gave a somewhat fresh look at this universe while still respecting, for the most part, what came before it.

DISCO and PICARD have either manipulated or disregarded all that came before it, be it characters, establishments or themes. Some like this unfettered approach. Many don't. It is what it is. Nothing new, of course. We saw it happen with that galaxy that is far, far away, as well.

DISCO and PICARD have either manipulated or disregarded all that came before it, be it characters, establishments or themes. Some like this unfettered approach. Many don't. It is what it is. Nothing new, of course. We saw it happen with that galaxy that is far, far away, as well
Very well expressed.🖖🏻 Dovetails with comments recently reported by SW OT editor (and former Mrs. Lucas).

I'm really happy to read your statement about Nurse Chapel, Nanjin! But in addition to the eight in that photo, my hope for the TOS (beside "The Cage" versions of Pike, Number One, and Spock) is for a Yeoman Rand. Is she too obscure a character?
I’m sure you know as a Trek fan that if you watch the closing credits of the early episodes Grace Lee Whitney was given essentially equal billing with DeForrest Kelly. And used extensively in early publicity photos. She was intended to be a pretty major character.

I’m sure you know as a Trek fan that if you watch the closing credits of the early episodes Grace Lee Whitney was given essentially equal billing with DeForrest Kelly. And used extensively in early publicity photos. She was intended to be a pretty major character.
She certainly appears more often that Scotty and Sulu in the early episodes (until she randomly disappears). They're hardly in season one at all.

DISCO and PICARD have either manipulated or disregarded all that came before it, be it characters, establishments or themes. Some like this unfettered approach. Many don't. It is what it is. Nothing new, of course. We saw it happen with that galaxy that is far, far away, as well.
That is not something unique to DISCO and Picard, you see it through all the Trek shows and movies.

Didn't it have something to do with her drug use? I seem to recall them having to quietly fire her because she couldn't get it together.
The story I read was both drug use and sex addiction. But since she wasn't in even a full season and despite her appearance in three films, Rand doesn't seem to be included as one of the main cast in some of the recent merchandise which seems directed at more passive fans with only a general knowledge. I'm always pleasantly surprised when Rand (and Tasha Yar for that matter) does show up or even mentioned. Their appearances seem to be service to long time fans, hence my question to Nanjin if she is too much of a "deep cut" character for EXO-6 to include her.

Sorry to diverge from the debate on the pros and cons of the various series and focus on the actual EXO-6 figures. I'm looking to get some accessories to represent the TOS figures from some of my favorite episodes-Roman swords from "Bread and Circuses", western gunbelts for "Spectre of the Gun". Any other examples that you can think of where it would be easy to make a representation from an episode? I have a 3D printed Nomad, so that's another one.

Tom

The story I read was both drug use and sex addiction. But since she wasn't in even a full season and despite her appearance in three films, Rand doesn't seem to be included as one of the main cast in some of the recent merchandise which seems directed at more passive fans with only a general knowledge. I'm always pleasantly surprised when Rand (and Tasha Yar for that matter) does show up or even mentioned. Their appearances seem to be service to long time fans, hence my question to Nanjin if she is too much of a "deep cut" character for EXO-6 to include her.
Well that's not entirely true.

According to Whitney, one night after filming had wrapped on an episode, she was having a private drink with one of the show’s executives (she never reveals who), and was sexually assaulted by him. Apparently embarrassed by the incident, he had her character written out of the show so he wouldn’t have to face her on an on-going basis. As a result, she spent many years feeling extremely bitter over the entire experience and sank deeper into an already existing drink and drugs problem.

However like most stories there are other sides too.

There's a story that Roddenberry got rid of her because she refused to sleep with him, and another story where Majel Barrett felt there were to many women in the main cast on the show and Yeoman Rand was the only one they could write off without to much bad press.

We will never really know the truth. However given Whitney actually wrote and spoke about the assault, while also acknowledging her own struggles with substance abuse, I'm more inclined to believe her story.

Well that's not entirely true.

According to Whitney, one night after filming had wrapped on an episode, she was having a private drink with one of the show’s executives (she never reveals who), and was sexually assaulted by him. Apparently embarrassed by the incident, he had her character written out of the show so he wouldn’t have to face her on an on-going basis. As a result, she spent many years feeling extremely bitter over the entire experience and sank deeper into an already existing drink and drugs problem.

However like most stories there are other sides too.

There's a story that Roddenberry got rid of her because she refused to sleep with him, and another story where Majel Barrett felt there were to many women in the main cast on the show and Yeoman Rand was the only one they could write off without to much bad press.

We will never really know the truth. However given Whitney actually wrote and spoke about the assault, while also acknowledging her own struggles with substance abuse, I'm more inclined to believe her story.
My feeling is that it wasn’t Roddenberry himself. Otherwise wouldn’t he have vetoed her film appearances? Or want to appear at conventions? My suspicion is a studio or network exec… But like you say, we’ll probably never know.

I'm sorry for what happened to the actress, but the character always did seem like a bad fit to me, being so immature and pouty and jealous all the time. So I think it was for the best that she was written out, as it allowed more room for the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship which was the heart of the show.

My feeling is that it wasn’t Roddenberry himself. Otherwise wouldn’t he have vetoed her film appearances? Or want to appear at conventions? My suspicion is a studio or network exec… But like you say, we’ll probably never know.

From my understanding Roddenberry had a lot less control over production of Trek starting with TMP, so I'm not sure he could of vetoed her appearing in it. The whole production of TMP is a fascinating story, and it's a miracle it got made.

I do agree that I don't think it was Roddenberry.

I'm sorry for what happened to the actress, but the character always did seem like a bad fit to me, being so immature and pouty and jealous all the time. So I think it was for the best that she was written out, as it allowed more room for the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship which was the heart of the show.
I certainly don't think the show suffered from her departure.

One could argue she was the first of a long Trek tradition of having a main character at the beginning that most of the audience would agree is the most immature and annoying compared to the main characters. Difference being those other characters were given time to develop and changed over the seasons to become better, Rand was just written off.

Back