Batgirl The Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batgirl - Written, Directed and Produced by Joss Whedon

hqdefault-1.jpg

I identify as a trans-black man so I can't be racist.

No casting news. People already upset about hypothetical black people. :slap

You guys get so pissed off about black people. I don't know if this is SSF or Stormfront.:lol

Yeah this turned into a real ****ed up conversation. Batman can't be Black because there's no contrast between his face and the mask? WTF :dunno

Batman can't be Black because there's no contrast between his face and the mask? WTF :dunno

I didn't say he can't be black, I said I wouldn't personally buy it and that it wouldn't look good. How is that "****ed up"? :lol Batman/Bruce Wayne has been white for 78 years, it would be jarring for him to suddenly become inverted in the mask and have an ebony chin.

Same deal with other characters that have masks/cowls with part of the face exposed like Wolverine, Catwoman, Daredevil, Cap, the Flash, Batgirl etc. Contrast is a critical element in the look of these characters. Contrast with opposite features like light and dark create visual interest. That's why Batman looks best in chiaroscuro lighting where his mask is illuminated by overhead lighting.

You_Doodle_2017-03-31T02_48_40Z.jpg

It's not racist to say this is jarring. You could put Idris Elba in there and it still wouldn't work.

IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG

You have an avatar and sig combo that shows Batman through the years. Some things have changed such as black to blue, black bat to yellow oval, different artists/styles etc. etc. but all the key elements haven't changed for good ole' Bruce Wayne. They have the same look, same basic origin and same ethnicity. If a comic, cartoon or movie suddenly changed that for whatever reason, there would be nothing wrong with people finding it odd.

If Apollo Creed was cast white would it throw you?

Or Shaft?

Or the 4th Ghostbuster?

It would me.

Show us on the doll where Hollywood hurt you.

Or Shaft?

Or the 4th Ghostbuster?

It would me.

Two of the three aren't very good examples. Both Creed and Zeddemore could theoretically be white characters, they just aren't
Shaft being part of the Blaxploitation genre on the other hand was explicitly made to be such.

Or Shaft?

Or the 4th Ghostbuster?

It would me.

If characters like Blade, Bishop, Luke Cage, Storm, Black Panther, Cyborg, were suddenly white, I'd feel the same way. It wouldn't look or feel right.

The exception would be the Green Lantern. Assuming WB gets to another Justice League movie (lol) and features Green Lantern, I'd actually like to see the John Stewart version. I always preferred him over Hal (who I think was actually a racist ironically enough), especially with the Justice league cartoon.

Show us on the doll where Hollywood hurt you.

R-r-right here Doc.

You_Doodle_2017-03-31T03_11_16Z.jpg

Last edited:

If characters like Blade, Bishop, Luke Cage, Storm, Black Panther, Cyborg, were suddenly white, I'd feel the same way. It wouldn't look or feel right.

The exception would be the Green Lantern. Assuming WB gets to another Justice League movie (lol) and features Green Lantern, I'd actually like to see the John Stewart version. I always preferred him over Hal (who I think was actually a racist ironically enough), especially with the Justice league cartoon.

Same. The cartoon was my definitive JL for a long time, and it still is, so I've always preferred John Stewart.

And I think that may have been Green Guardsman you were talking about, right? I can't remember tho.

Back