Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after watching it 3x this weekend :lol I think it's safe to say the replay value of AoU is nowhere near TWS for me. Still a solid overall effort though, but I'm definitely looking forward to the more brutal action sequences from the Russo brothers, both in CW and AIW.

I warmed up to the movie after catching it again recently. It's a decent watch. Not as "tight" as the first one, but not too horrendous.

I still think Ultron was too kooky and cartoonish. He should've been more menacing and serious. If they were going to link his personality to Stark, they should've touched on that more rather than just allow it to be assumed that he the robotic evil version of Tony Stark. After seeing Iron Man 3 and how Stark "gave up" being Iron Man, I initially thought Ultron was going to be his Avengers' replacement until Ultron went bad and Tony was "forced" to rejoin the team to right his wrong.

Anyways, I too am glad Whedon is gone. He's a great comic book writer and should stick with that and his own projects (Firefly). Unfortunately I think his writing style is TOO comic-book for movies and it was evident in both the Avengers movies. His plot structure isn't bad, but his writing is corny. As it was mentioned before, Winter Soldier is an excellent blend of being comic book and blending it with realism. Seeing how the Russo Bros. handle the ensemble cast for Cap 3: Civil War will be extremely telling of how their take on Infinity War will be.

We just disagree, I don't need to convince him. :dunno

As far as a "direct threat against the Avengers themselves" Ultron was seconds away from creating an extinction level event which would have killed all life on earth, including all Avengers except Thor. At no point was Loki even close to wiping out the team. He got them to bicker and fight, but so did Ultron. And Hulk's rampage that was caused by Ultron's henchman(woman) was much more destructive than that caused by Loki's scepter.

I'm not saying Loki was more a direct threat, I agree he wasn't, but what I'm getting at is I expected Ultron would be, but I feel like he was just like Loki but with things happening a little differently. Yes the meteor was a threat but I mean like Ultron nearly breaking Cap's back Bane style or something, not needing an army of drones but just being himself capable, and the use of cap's broken shield from Stark's dream in the trailers setup the idea that Ultron did it. Ultron himself was no physical match for the Avengers.

Who was their teat audience, I wouldn't take Loki showing up in a flashing dream as him controlling Ultron, idiots.

:lol

I'm not saying Loki was more a direct threat, I agree he wasn't, but what I'm getting at is I expected Ultron would be, but I feel like he was just like Loki but with things happening a little differently. Yes the meteor was a threat but I mean like Ultron nearly breaking Cap's back Bane style or something, not needing an army of drones but just being himself capable, and the use of cap's broken shield from Stark's dream in the trailers setup the idea that Ultron did it. Ultron himself was no physical match for the Avengers.

I thought Ultron was a strong physical threat against them.

It took a strong effort to take him out.

Did anyone else notice that Ultron's final form on bluray is bigger than he was in the theater.

Did anyone else notice that Ultron's final form on bluray is bigger than he was in the theater.

Was it really? I remember being shocked at how he appeared to be twice the size as Wanda and Pedro when they faced off against the Avenger's in the old tanker but just assumed that I hadn't remembered his size from the theater as clearly as I thought.

Was it really? I remember being shocked at how he appeared to be twice the size as Wanda and Pedro when they faced off against the Avenger's in the old tanker but just assumed that I hadn't remembered his size from the theater as clearly as I thought.

I could also be remembering it incorrectly but I also remember his final form not differentiating itself enough from his previous form so that's why on the bluray it immediately stuck out for me.

There was definately some post theatrical cgi enhancements done to make his final form larger, more intimidating.

Yeah, they did that to make sure that Motuxmen can no longer refute his final Ultimate Ultron form.

Botuxwomen would be a cool superhero team name. :lol

I wonder if this could be a trend for Hollywood, with movies getting set release dates, if they can't finish the CGI in time, will they get it to good enough points for theatrical release and further polish it up for home release. Blu Ray and Netflix, etc. seem more popular viewing methods than the theaters, will there become and acceptable enough point for theaters figuring people will be so pumped they don't pay close attention and then just make it best for home viewing where it'll really get picked apart.

So after watching it 3x this weekend :lol I think it's safe to say the replay value of AoU is nowhere near TWS for me. Still a solid overall effort though, but I'm definitely looking forward to the more brutal action sequences from the Russo brothers, both in CW and AIW.

I agree completely.

I've watched it a few times and while I really liked AOU, WS was a lot better.

I've been catching up on old story arcs that I've yet to read in the Marvel comic world and recently checked out the entire Age of Ultron story and while I get that they don't base these movies directly off of the comic titles (which I still find absolutely ridiculous - to name the movie after a WELL-KNOWN story and yet have the movie plot be nothing like the book), it just makes the viewing experience a little less enjoyable, IMO. It's like I've read what COULD have been and yet saw something that didn't even come close.

I'm feeling myself starting to relate to Harry Potter fans. I get it....I GET IT NOW! :lol

Again, still an entertaining movie and will watch it again, but just missed the mark.

I thought Ultron was a strong physical threat against them.

It took a strong effort to take him out.

I disagree, I thought they should've made Ultimate Ultron stronger so it would take an actual team effort to beat this form, much like the comics and cartoons. While UU could beat any of the Avengers 1v1, I think Vision (after figuring out how to use the Mind Stone for energy blasts) and Thor as a pair would've been enough to defeat UU. But I think it's safe to say that Ultron was more of a physical threat than Loki, whether in Prime or Ultimate form.

But I think it's safe to say that Ultron was more of a physical threat than Loki, whether in Prime or Ultimate form.

Absolutely. Thor made Loki his ***** by lifting him above his head and body slamming him onto the ground. But Ultimate Ultron had Thor by the throat and he was only able to escape after a surprise attack from a Mjolnir wielding Vision.

Though Cap had a better showing against Ultron than he did Loki ... maybe that's supposed to be because he's a more skilled fighter now?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Though Cap had a better showing against Ultron than he did Loki ... maybe that's supposed to be because he's a more skilled fighter now?

Cap's performance isn't the best litmus test. According to the first Avengers film any non-enhanced human with a gun is apparently a greater threat to Cap than Ultron. He sucked in Avengers. Either Coulson's costume was too tight on him or he was still suffering from Hibernation Sickness.

Back