Asmus Toys : Lord of the Ring thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you consider doing original LOTR figures and releasing the 2 Blue Wizards?

I think that'd land them in hot water due to licensing issues...the reason why Gandalf "forgot" their names in The Hobbit was that they didn't have the rights to any works which named them. Also, there's gotta be at least thirty named characters from LotR and Hobbit (and twenty more unnamed army builders) that they could produce before even thinking along those lines.

That said, I'm sure there will be customs.

I think that'd land them in hot water due to licensing issues...the reason why Gandalf "forgot" their names in The Hobbit was that they didn't have the rights to any works which named them. Also, there's gotta be at least thirty named characters from LotR and Hobbit (and twenty more unnamed army builders) that they could produce before even thinking along those lines.

That said, I'm sure there will be customs.

This is completely correct. I went to "The One Ring" panel at Comic Con and they discussed that anything beyond the explicitly licensed books is a no-go and from what I understand is that Asmus (and other manufacturers of the past) have film licensed collectibles based on New Line contracts.

Asmus, would you consider selling alternate heads? Possibly with different expressions? Or possibly with fully sculpted hair or beards?

There are collectors who like the "real" hair or mixed hair approach that allows for more articulation. But there are also collectors who like the fully sculpted approach. If you made alternate heads as part of an "expansion" pack, I think a fair number of people would buy them. I know I would!

Please consider it! :pray:

Asmus, would you consider selling alternate heads? Possibly with different expressions? Or possibly with fully sculpted hair or beards?

There are collectors who like the "real" hair or mixed hair approach that allows for more articulation. But there are also collectors who like the fully sculpted approach. If you made alternate heads as part of an "expansion" pack, I think a fair number of people would buy them. I know I would!

Please consider it! :pray:

When it comes to manufacture, the major issue is always "quantity", we can make 100 expressions for every characters, but if any of them cannot hit the basic "quantity" mark, it will be a bad investment. I am sure it is when Hot Toys always go with "natural" expression, it is the safest card to play to all collecters.

However, never say never, we do consider in the near future when we need to release a 2nd edition of our sold out items (Say Aragorn ), or simply release it again because we can now do better. We will sell the heads as individual item.

Not just that, also the clothing, accessories. Things that weren't able to do then and can be done now, we can sell them as accessories packs, so collectors can update their figures rather than buying an entire new one.

Great news Asmus! I really hope the line does well enough to get to 2nd editions and releases.

Any way you can let us know if the line is performing well? Hopefully it is performing better than expectations now.

However, never say never, we do consider in the near future when we need to release a 2nd edition of our sold out items (Say Aragorn ), or simply release it again because we can now do better. We will sell the heads as individual item.

Not just that, also the clothing, accessories. Things that weren't able to do then and can be done now, we can sell them as accessories packs, so collectors can update their figures rather than buying an entire new one.
That's a superb news!
Any update on Gandalf the White new sculpt?

Love the idea. It will be nice to not have to buy a whole new figure, but update it if we so choose.

When it comes to manufacture, the major issue is always "quantity", we can make 100 expressions for every characters, but if any of them cannot hit the basic "quantity" mark, it will be a bad investment. I am sure it is when Hot Toys always go with "natural" expression, it is the safest card to play to all collecters.

:clap

That's awesome news!

But specifically, what do you think about offering alternate heads with sculpted hair? Specifically, I'm thinking about the AMAZING early sculpt you showed of Gandalf the Grey with sculpted hair. Since then it looks like you've decided to go with "real" hair on that figure. But if you sold the sculpted hair head separately, I think a lot of people would buy it. I definitely would. :pray:

:clap

That's awesome news!

But specifically, what do you think about offering alternate heads with sculpted hair? Specifically, I'm thinking about the AMAZING early sculpt you showed of Gandalf the Grey with sculpted hair. Since then it looks like you've decided to go with "real" hair on that figure. But if you sold the sculpted hair head separately, I think a lot of people would buy it. I definitely would. :pray:

One viable way to offering both versions ( sculpted+ rooted) would be releasing one with the figure itself ( rooted) , and one with a bust (the sculpted maybe?) There are other companies who've tried something like this in the past (bandai) and it worked. You bought the figure, and later a bust with extra parts ( they called it - appendix) You could use parts from the bust to upgrade the figures , or just use the bust as a display piece by itself.

One viable way to offering both versions ( sculpted+ rooted) would be releasing one with the figure itself ( rooted) , and one with a bust (the sculpted maybe?) There are other companies who've tried something like this in the past (bandai) and it worked. You bought the figure, and later a bust with extra parts ( they called it - appendix) You could use parts from the bust to upgrade the figures , or just use the bust as a display piece by itself.

Yeah that's a great way to do it. I use the cm toys statue bust to display my KP Conan leather shirt, vest, pouch and spare head sculpt. It looks cool next to the figure showing off the extras that I don't display on the figure itself.

So I'm still waiting on the replacement bodies, how far along are you guys with that?

Yeah I hope so. I've asked my seller multiple times for the replacement body for the morgul lord that they were supposed to send with Eowyn and still haven't received it from them. So maybe I should ask for the replacement body for the morgul lord from Asmus directly and have it sent with the ringwraith replacement body...

Back