1/6 POTC - SWToys x Tough Guys FS046 Lord of the Caspian Sea (Barbossa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually emailed GheeWhiz about their Barbossa the other day based on some pictures (pretty sure they were Dario's but I can't recall) and they will still make the Barbossa outer coat but the cost....
well, let me just say that I can either choose a 1/6 Barbossa outer coat or a pretty expensive Prime 1 statue I've had my eye on for some time....
So I am going to mod this Barbossa instead! :ROFLMAO: Gotta pick our battles I suppose!
Yea GeeWhiz seems to have raised their prices considerably in a short amount of time from what I hear.

I actually emailed GheeWhiz about their Barbossa the other day based on some pictures (pretty sure they were Dario's but I can't recall) and they will still make the Barbossa outer coat but the cost....
well, let me just say that I can either choose a 1/6 Barbossa outer coat or a pretty expensive Prime 1 statue I've had my eye on for some time....
So I am going to mod this Barbossa instead! :ROFLMAO: Gotta pick our battles I suppose!

Yeah, unfortunately GheeWhiz's prices are crazy. I would have gotten that Barbossa outfit long ago if not.

hnlee also made a very good Barbossa coat -- probably my favorite material of the choices so far. He would be one to reach out to. Below is 8-bit commando's picture from 2016. I don't like the brown pleather inner material that is also part of the lapel and cuffs, but it that was made in charcoal -- and the coat was longer -- it would look quite nice.

8-bit commando w- Rise Collectbles outfit 5-27-16  (1).jpg

Otherwise, like all things, if you are patient, a good Barbossa will eventually show.

Last edited:
Oh no. I heard that about the Barbossa project -- turned into a real mess.

Anyway, I wonder whatever happened to the Barbossa project with Waruna and Fabrizio? Did that just end up becoming the GheeWhiz offering? I never really understood what was going on there. Dario certainly ended up with a great Barbossa at the end of the day.
I think the Waruna/Fabrizio project did end up being the GeeWhiz offering
Yeah, unfortunately GheeWhiz's prices are crazy. I would have gotten that Barbossa outfit long ago if not.
Yea they seemed to really raise their prices once they started doing the prototype outfits for BCS figures and they've continued to rise since.

Unfortunately, they seem to be the only ones I know of that will take flaked/cracked pleather outfits and turn them in to real leather items which I'll need them to do for my HT Redskull and I'm sure it will cost a pretty penny to do so. Gonna wait until after the new year to inquire about that though :thud:
hnlee also made a very good Barbossa coat -- probably my favorite material of the choices so far. He would be one to reach out to. Below is 8-bit commando's picture from 2016. I don't like the brown pleather inner material that is also part of the lapel and cuffs, but it that was made in charcoal -- and the coat was longer -- it would look quite nice.

View attachment 597847

Otherwise, like all things, if you are patient, a good Barbossa will eventually show.
That coat does look really great aside from the few edits you recommended. The waistcoat/vest looks pretty good too. I like hnlee's work for the most part especially since it's still in a reasonable price range.

Last edited:

View attachment 597847

That Jack looks awfully similar to the SWTOYS’s one. Recast?

View attachment 597847

I always preferred that hnlee Barbossa coat. He’s still quite active over at customonesixth. I’ll shoot him a PM.

I always preferred that hnlee Barbossa coat. He’s still quite active over at customonesixth. I’ll shoot him a PM.

I've asked Hnlee about jacket and vest run we could use some improvements. He's just done my elvis 68 outfit, hopefully he can help us out.

Geewhizz quoted $467 for vest and coat but fabric would be changed.

I've asked Hnlee about jacket and vest run we could use some improvements. He's just done my elvis 68 outfit, hopefully he can help us out.

Geewhizz quoted $467 for vest and coat but fabric would be changed.
Ahh didn't make the connection, but I commented in your thread over there at Custom One Sixth about that outfit as I might've sourced a figure that would probably need an upgrade.

Hmmmm
What do we think about these fabrics?
They are perforated or semi-perforated leather (the types used for steering wheels) I feel like this is a better material match than most of what I've seen so far.
1662466171535.png
1662466195097.png

1662466239540.png
1662466275508.png

Attachments

• 1662466346751.png
    1662466346751.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You guys do check your ref or the movie, right?

Barbossa's coat is odd indeed, but those black "holes" are actually nubs of black thread I believe.

Check the ref below...

barbossa jacket.jpg

close up barbossa jacket.jpg

Notice how the sunlight is catching on the raised stitching. The material (not leather) is also very dimpled.

I know this is likely impossible to recreate and we may have to accept "holes" for the look, but just want to make the material as close as we can.

Neoprene, 'Nike' style mesh and pleather with holes is not going to look right.

GeeWhiz is a nice material. It works from afar. But again, price.

Hnlee's material is completely the opposite of the screen look yet it captures the style in a way from afar.

Maybe Hnlee can find a more accurate material.

You guys do check your ref or the movie, right?

Barbossa's coat is odd indeed, but those black "holes" are actually nubs of black thread I believe.

Check the ref below...

View attachment 598004

View attachment 598005

Notice how the sunlight is catching on the raised stitching. The material (not leather) is also very dimpled.

I know this is likely impossible to recreate and we may have to accept "holes" for the look, but just want to make the material as close as we can.

Neoprene, 'Nike' style mesh and pleather with holes is not going to look right.

Great pictures - yes I see what you mean.
That is going to be very difficult to pull off in 1/6.
I think this is called "dobby cotton" but I'll have to double check.
I found this material thats somewhat like that.
But the "blobs" aren't quite as uniform or dark as Barbossa's coat - and would be too big for a 1/6 coat.
1662501544852.png

GeeWhiz is a nice material. It works from afar. But again, price.

Hnlee's material is completely the opposite of the screen look yet it captures the style in a way from afar.

Maybe Hnlee can find a more accurate material.

The GeeWhiz coat to my eyes appears to be made from a grey basketweave material

1662502986024.png

1662502883356.png

Overall the GeeWhiz jacket is the best made Barbossa coat -- including length, buttons, cuffs, lining material on cuffs and lapel -- and creates enough of the look that it works. But again, so pricey.

Remember too, that your displayed Barbossa will likely have the coat open to show off the belts, sash and vest... so there does come a point where price becomes an issue if you're also considering replacing the vest and belts as well... and pants... and boots... :)

This is the completely wrong colour - but what do we think of this quilted dotted velvet material
1662552696856.png

1662552715858.png

1662552864927.png

1662552820438.png

I can't tell whether the dots are holes or very tiny beads - its looks like holes on the yellow and like shiny beads on the black and blue and like tiny debossing on the cream.

These are the images they provide to give a sense of the scale of the pattern.

1662553021005.png
1662553108185.png

Its a pity it doesn't come in grey. But there are plenty of dyes which ought to do the trick.
But what do we think - I feel like this better reflects the dimpled/kind of quilted effect of the original coat and mimics the texture quite well. Worst case scenario we could get very tiny black beads to put into the dimple holes.

Overall the GeeWhiz jacket is the best made Barbossa coat -- including length, buttons, cuffs, lining material on cuffs and lapel -- and creates enough of the look that it works. But again, so pricey.

Remember too, that your displayed Barbossa will likely have the coat open to show off the belts, sash and vest... so there does come a point where price becomes an issue if you're also considering replacing the vest and belts as well... and pants... and boots... :)

Your absolutely right - my intention is a cheap and cheerful few mods to bring this figure a lot closer to Barbossa's appearance rather than spot-on.
I think a lot of this figure can be saved with a staining in a very strong coffee and water mix or a touch of dye/paint - namely the vest, trousers and boots. Would they be spot on? No - but so long as its relatively close, more evocative of Barbossa and not too expensive I don't mind.
Big Breda's review shows that this figure doesn't look ridiculous next to the HT Jack Sparrow, so with a few mods it ought to look a touch better again.

With that in mind my plan is to either simply dye the SWToys coat the charcoal colour of Barbossa's coats' inner lining and cover the outer showing material of the coat (except the upturned cuffs) with a layer of material I consider more accurate to Barbossa's appearance then add the buttons, trim etc.
OR
I pull the coat apart to figure out its design pattern and make a coat out of the materials I choose.
I have zero doubt that my effort will be below the skill of GeeWhiz - but it won't cost me near enough a grand.

The belt is something that bothers me now, but might not look quite so bad when the coat/vest etc look a little better.

Back