1/6 POTC - SWToys x Tough Guys FS046 Lord of the Caspian Sea (Barbossa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we could ask Hnlee to-do a run of coats if anyone's in? The idea with the head isn’t bad mine arrives monday so will try.
barb.jpg

Maybe we could ask Hnlee to-do a run of coats if anyone's in?

Hnlee used a very good material for the outer coat... but then used brown pleather for the lining which shows up on the lapel folds as well as the cuffs and ruined the look. If hnlee could use a charcoal black instead, his coat would be excellent.

I think it's a good base of a figure. A lot of weathering could bring the brightness down, repainting the boots with some black leather paint should help them appear a little more accurate, swap the body with maybe a JX toys or narrow wordbox with sculpted neck. Then of course repaiting the head and either completely re-hairing it or just working with the hair it comes with. Lots of work, but definitely salvageable to become a really great piece IMO.

Almost like the Present Toys Indy - if you're willing to put in the work and have the skillset to do so, it could be a really nice looking figure.

Last edited:
I'll still keep my eye on in-hand photos, but for now I'm out. Sadly.

I'm trying to steer my collection toward the InArt level and getting away from these types of 3rd party "completion" figures.

Thank you Breda for the review. It isn't a complete disaster. It isn't great either, but workable. This might be fun to work on. Do wish it was slightly better.

I'll still keep my eye on in-hand photos, but for now I'm out. Sadly.

I'm trying to steer my collection toward the InArt level and getting away from these types of 3rd party "completion" figures.
I gotta agree with you there. Other than the few Marvel figures that led me astray for a bit, I'm definitely trying to be more reserved for the heavy hitters that InArt (or custom guys) may make.

Yeah I’ve jumped off this too after seeing how the already scratchy proto was not improved on in any way. He actually looks pretty terrible… Like a desperate out of work actor playing Barbossa in a bad stage play of Pirates.

What a shame. The wait continues.

The likeness of the SW sculpt isn't bad at all the hair and paint let this down. So might actually send mine for a repaint.

The coat I think we could organise a run especially as Hardy liga has done one before.

Joao is the same with his reviews his is more of a quick look. Hat is actually good sizing, brings out the likeness.

Really like the fact the sword is die-cast.
I think it's a good base of a figure. A lot of weathering could bring the brightness down, repainting the boots with some black leather paint should help them appear a little more accurate, swap the body with maybe a JX toys or narrow wordbox with sculpted neck. Then of course repaiting the head and either completely re-hairing it or just working with the hair it comes with. Lots of work, but definitely salvageable to become a really great piece IMO.

Almost like the Present Toys Indy - if you're willing to put in the work and have the skillset to do so, it could be a really nice looking figure.

Yep this is pretty much my take on it.

To start on the positive and from Breda's review ( thank you @Bigbreda !) I think there is quite a bit to be positive about here.
Firstly the accessories:
- the diecast sword is great and its a very faithful replica of Barbossa's sword.
- the gun, that they made this out of diecast and wood is fantastic. It is also really faithful to the one in the film with nearly all of the very intricate detailing on the weapon present. The only missing details are the very small amount of brass inlays and the tear drop shapes on the wooden handle is supposed to be pearl inlay or silver decorations from what I can tell. But given that SWToys haven't perfected shrinking tech I think its unfair to hold that against them! :ROFLMAO: Honestly the amount of detailing they've done on this weapon while using diecast and real wood is incredibly impressive to me. Couldn't imagine how much that would cost from a custom artist like FullMetal or the like.
- Jack the Monkey looks great in my opinion, far better than most of HT attempts at doing simple animals nevermind ones in elaborate clothes! I also think the magnetic feature is a great idea for posing him.
Costume:
- I think the hat looks spot on, yes it might be a pain that its plastic rather than fabric, but honestly that doesn't bother me. Its the right size, has all the appropriate wear and tear and the real feather over a sculpted one is a good choice in my opinion
- The yellow sash is on point and just needs a very slight bit of weathering to be spot on.

For the above reasons alone I think that this figure is pretty much worth buying at this low price point.

The salvageable:
I think a lot of the stuff in this figure is also as @Gipetto0812 says easily salvageable and would look great with the right treatment.
- The vest looks mostly accurate but far too vibrant - but nothing that some serious weathering shouldn't completely fix in my opinion - modification isn't something i do often but my thoughts were to soak it in either tea, coffee, muddy water or water with a small amount of brown paint in it (diluted of course) - any advice anyone?
- Hopefully as Breda says the base is a one-off issue and he has just been unlucky - but if it is a wide issue then I think the wobbly stand in the base is easily fixed by plugging the hole a little with something like putty or blu-tack which should be an easy, cheap and invisible solution. I do think the base's grey stones are a little flat though and would benefit from some colour washes, weathering/scratching, fake moss/algae and some other effects.
- Love the idea of painting the boots with black leather paint - that would bring them along quite a bit without going down the expensive custom job route.
- The trousers just need to be dyed black which out to be simple enough.
- replacing the body ought to be simple if the loose body is an endemic problem.

The problems:
- The sculpt - though it evokes Geoffrey Rush, especially around the eyes, the paint app, full hair and thick curly beard are seriously undermining the likeness to the Barbossa character. Thinning the hair might help, sending the sculpt for a repaint probably will, but I don't know if there is anything to be done about the beard and honestly that is whats killing the likeness in my opinion.
- The coat - too thick, too stiff, the wrong colour, lacks the very distinctive detailing and texture.
- The belts are too thin and the buckles are too small strangely enough this probably bother me as much as the other two problems, its what my eye is drawn too.

I'm not sure if there is anything to be done about this except doing a custom run/looking for outright replacements for these parts.

With that said - I'd be 100% in for a custom coat/belt run if anyone else is up for it - afterall the more of us there are it usually knocks down the price somewhat.
Same with the head sculpt - anyone interested in a custom run or know of where you can pick up a sculpt for Barbossa to upgrade this figure with?

So on the whole I do think its worth getting if you want a 1/6 Barbossa, if for no other reason then this making for the base of good custom figure with a few adjustments at a good affordable cost. Having been part of two recent custom runs for characters with costumes a little less elaborate than Barbossa's its amazing how much the seemingly simple parts of a figure or costume can mound up to like the shirt, sash, vest, trinkets, accessories, jewelry, etc. etc.
This way - in theory there are only 3 things that probably need an outright replacement (only 2 if the belts don't bother you as much as they do me).

After some thoughts about it, I think there is enough here to have some fun with this figure. The price isn't nuts ontop of what may be needed to shine. I'm thinking shaving down that beard and adding scraggly hair might vastly improve it. It's not like I would be destroying a masterpiece sculpt.

After some thoughts about it, I think there is enough here to have some fun with this figure. The price isn't nuts ontop of what may be needed to shine. I'm thinking shaving down that beard and adding scraggly hair might vastly improve it. It's not like I would be destroying a masterpiece sculpt.
That’s how I feel also. The price is fair for what it is. Hell, the metal weapons ALONE would run you $100 or more from a custom caster!

??
That’s how I feel also. The price is fair for what it is. Hell, the metal weapons ALONE would run you $100 or more from a custom caster!
Yep. Maybe not the most perfect fig, but at this price, with everything you get, I'm happy enough. And while I appreciate a superb sculpt and detailing, across a room, with Jack, it's unmistakable who this is. For me, it's about time, getting in a Barbossa to go with Jack. Shouldn't be too hard to track down some 1/6 apples.😁

Dang, I realize now that you're right Wor-Gar! He DID trim the hair. Just when I thought it was looking really good. The question is do I trust myself with the scissors?

Back