1/6 POTC - SWToys x Tough Guys FS046 Lord of the Caspian Sea (Barbossa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 598108

I feel like this better reflects the dimpled/kind of quilted effect of the original coat and mimics the texture quite well. Worst case scenario we could get very tiny black beads to put into the dimple holes.

That looks very good actually. Holes or not it creates the same effect. I'm not certain if its a tight enough pattern, but I doubt anyone would really notice.

If someone here can find a tailor willing to do the job, then hopefully they could find something like this that isn't too pricey.

In the past, the problem hasn't been finding tailors willing to make the coat, it has been finding enough people to make the run worthwhile. When you end up with 3-5, it just isn't worth the tailor's time or the price becomes like GeeWhiz. Perhaps with this figure, there would be more people interested in a new coat. But again, I think it has to be affordable enough to get 15-30 onboard (and to be affordable there has to be 15-30) otherwise this just won't happen... again.

Mine arrived today fantastic piece for the price, actually have 2 on order. The sword alone would of cost what the entire figure cost. The coat and sash have wire.

The base will need some glue or tac as the hole is too big.
20220907_164643.jpg
20220907_164648.jpg
20220907_165315.jpg
20220907_164526.jpg

Attachments

• 20220907_165257.jpg
    20220907_165257.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Well, if Godfather1408 says its good... now I'm intrigued. I know you've been on the trek for a Barbossa likely as long as I have.

How does he scale next to the DX16?

Scale is good, I think in hand it's alot better than I thought. The detail on the skin is good I think a repaint and hair + new coat would take this up a notch.

The body is a muscle body so limitation, the pegs on the hands both snapped.

Overall a really nice piece.

He's a bit taller than the DX15 but not far off. Was he taller then Jack?

He was.

Barbossa height.jpg

Sorry to hear about the pegs. Body swap was likely inevitable though anyway. While you're at it, maybe a taller body as well.

Now I have to reconsider getting one... before he's gone. I wish I knew if this "coat project" was really going to happen.

Going by the above picture, seems like SWToys Barbossa's hat is a little big.

That's potentially great news, Indiana!

Looking at the hat again, I'm wondering if there is a longer brim and shorter brim side? Perhaps people have the hat on backwards? Going by the picture, the brim's longer length seems to be in the back.

I'm actually really excited for this figure and already have plans of making modifications to it once I have it in hand.

I agree about the baldric and mounts being a little undersized, so that's one of the first things on my list. In fact, I wanted to see if my 3D printer can handle such small designs, so I mocked up a quick drawing (forgive the lack of details and inaccuracies as I designed it in about 10 minutes) and printed it up at .5” width. I was surprised to see how much detail it kept even after being painted silver using rattle can paint and an acrylic wash.
I'll be doing a more accurate design based on the vintage pipers crossbelt used for the actual costume.
BARBOSSA BALDRICK scaled 1.JPG

I'll see if I'm brave enough to try to sew my own coat, but I did find a Tommy Bahama dress shirt on ebay that had a similar scaled dot pattern which I purchased and should be coming in next week. The dots are actually black thread, not printed, so that was a selling point for me.
I'm planning on dyeing it a darker grey and possibly doing other things to it like spraying it with gloss acrylic to see if I can get a similar sheen to the cotton fabric. I'll do some test swatches to find out the best method(s).
BARBOSSA CUSTOM COAT.jpg

My figure probably won't be here until sometime next week, so please keep the pictures coming as you get your figures in. Also, to those that have the figure in hand, what is the width of the baldric and details?

By the way, Geoffrey Rush is listed as being 6’ and Johnny Depp as 5’10”, so in sixth scale, he is only about .34” taller.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Random question do you have a link to the shirt? Really looking forward to seeing the progress of this.

I got mine a lot cheaper, but there’s one listed now if you search: Tommy Bahama Mens Long Sleeve Shirt Medium T311801 Dobby Del Sol 100% Cotton New

A lower cost one if you search: Tommy Bahama Mens Large L Button Front Shirt Gray Micro Dot L/S Cotton

Again, I want to see it in person to make sure it has the look, or I may have to find another fabric that and puff paint the dots.

All this talk of custom projects has me really excited!
Oddly enough even more excited for the figure than if it just came out perfect if that makes sense? I rather like a project now and then.

I am 1000% down for that Hnlee coat (price depending of course - if its GheeWhiz prices then I will sadly have to bow out)

loving the ideas @VashDStampede ! I'd love to see your progress on your projects - especially the buckles/baldric/mounts - if they turn out okay would you mind if I bought one from you? I don't mean to offend if not, its just that I have no access to a 3D printer in my aging little northern countryside English village in order to try and tackle them myself.

I've ordered a whole bunch of fabric samples from quilted velvet, studded leather, dobby cotton etc etc and I'll check what they look like in hand against the figure to see if we have any close matches - I'll share the comparisons here when they arrive.
I feel hopeful about the quilted velvet in particular and will probably stain the cream version an appropriate grey colour to see how that holds up.

Loving the look of those apples @Godfather1408 - will be awesome to see if they scale well with Barbossa. I'd love to jump into a group buy.

Godfather1408 - I was wondering the same thing @Wor-Gar is - is there a wider and thinner brim section of the hat or is that a trick of the camera angle? Is the brim the same depth all the way around?

very exciting stuff!

I think the brim is shorter on the back but the feather is glued on the left so wondering if it's meant to sit short side at the front...I'll check later.

I wanna add a real ribbon to the hat so might carefully pull off the feather if that's the case.

Last edited:
Back