1/6 Hot Toys - Robocop 3 - Robocop Collectible Figure.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to open this guy up so I could separate pieces and do a refinish on the black parts, and maybe shorten the gap in those shoulders to chest.

First popped off the arms. Then removed the back panel cover seen below, by gently prying it upwards with a plastic tool to keep from scuffing the paint.

View attachment 671741

You can see below there are several small glued spots that hold that plate to the torso. Just takes some gentle prying to separate them.

View attachment 671721

Then I removed the four visible screws on the remaining silver back plate to detach the entire back cover.

View attachment 671722

Here it is with that back cover removed entirely.

View attachment 671724

Decided to pop off that battery cover to see what was going on under there, since there's no voice/sound function on this rerelease, and see that Hot Toys simply glued a heavy magnet inside the cover to add "diecast" weight to the figure. It literally serves absolutely no other function.

View attachment 671725

To remove the black upper torso assembly, I had used an exacto to carefully break the glued seal between the rubber shoulder gasket cover and the hard plastic torso unit.

View attachment 671726

Then I removed the four remaining screws in the rear upper torso to separate the torso assembly. From here you can pretty much disassemble all the black torso parts for easier refinishing or to reach the shoulder and neck joints for repair or replacement if need be.

View attachment 671727

Looking at the joint assembly I couldn't see a way to modify the parts to allow the socket to slide deeper into the torso. Each part is molded in such a way that any dremelling or modification would compromise the part's movement or secure fit in the corresponding part. There are a ton of grooves and channel that assure those sockets stat secured into the housing around it. So I'm not sure I could fix that gap from within the torso.

View attachment 671730

To reattach the outmost silver back plate, I glued a small magnet onto the back of it. The magnet now attracts to the conveniently placed jumbo magnet Hot Toys glued onto the inside of that superfluous battery cover. It's like it was meant to be. Now I can easily get to all the screws again when doing more mods.

View attachment 671739

Once reassembled, no trace remains of the disassembly work, due to the careful breakdown, and Hot Toys original design. So now I can take it apart as much as I need for refinishing.

However, I still a haven't solved those overly large shoulder gaps. The only other option is to mod the ball connector in the arm itself. BUT, only two screws are reachable. There are two more screws in the upper corners that are carefully hidden under two small covers that cannot easily be removed without possibly damaging the paint around them. Hmmmm...

View attachment 671740
The Jetpack is magnetic; that magnet in the torso may be for that.

my shoulder mod was done inside the arm itself. the black joint that rory took out was the part i modded. i dremeled it down on the flat side, shaving off a few mm on each side, as well as dremeling down the diecast screw joint which allows that joint to sit inside further. its only a few mm, but its all you need on each side to solve the problem

stability is not effected because the joint still screws into the diecast and is then clamped down by the other piece of the shoulder.

mon mod d'épaule a été fait à l'intérieur du bras lui-même. l'articulation noire que rory a retirée était la partie que j'ai modifiée. je l'ai déchissée sur le côté plat, en rasant quelques mm de chaque côté, ainsi qu'en déchiquetageant le joint à vis moulé sous pression qui permet à ce joint de s'asseoir davantage à l'intérieur. c'est seulement quelques mm, mais c'est tout ce dont vous avez besoin de chaque côté pour résoudre le problème

la stabilité n'est pas affectée parce que le joint se visse toujours dans la coulée sous pression et est ensuite serré par l'autre morceau de l'épaule.
Thank you Chilipep66.
Can you tell us which element you shortened?
IMG_1527.jpeg

Last edited:
my shoulder mod was done inside the arm itself. the black joint that rory took out was the part i modded. i dremeled it down on the flat side, shaving off a few mm on each side, as well as dremeling down the diecast screw joint which allows that joint to sit inside further. its only a few mm, but its all you need on each side to solve the problem

stability is not effected because the joint still screws into the diecast and is then clamped down by the other piece of the shoulder.

Thanks for the help man. I followed your directions and did the same thing. Makes a great difference in getting a natural relaxed arm pose without the odd gaps. Not for the faint of heart though, as there's quite a bit of prying and dremeling involved.

Wish I had grabbed a before shot, but you can see how flush the arms sit now to the torso.

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good. Any noticeable compromise in articulation/range of motion?

On a different Robocop-related subject, this guy nails the problems with Robocop 2, the movie.

Exactly my thoughts on it. I don't think he mentioned the awful music score, but it's another point of drop-off in quality from the original.

Looks good. Any noticeable compromise in articulation/range of motion?

On a different Robocop-related subject, this guy nails the problems with Robocop 2, the movie.

Exactly my thoughts on it. I don't think he mentioned the awful music score, but it's another point of drop-off in quality from the original.

Yeah...

I, without shame, ignore all that. Robocop 2 is awesome on multiple levels. I see the faults. I simply don't care about them. There is far more good then bad, regarding the sequel in my opinion.

Movie was a blast. Completely different film from the original, true. But you're not ever gonna come close to that, it was never a possibility to begin with.

It's why I generally despise sequels, especially these days. Let alone 35+ yrs ago.

Robocop 2 gets a pass.

The problem with Rc2 for me is cain. He just isn't a very interesting villain. Tom Noonan is great and i love him as an actor, but he just didn't work for me. Robocain doesn't count since that is just a big robot and is barely cain anymore. Robocop should be fighting better things than just a bunch of drug dealers. Like you said i think it is partly sequel-itus. The first movie had clarence and dick Jones, plus ED209. It's just too hard to top that. I do like watching it every now and then though. I feel like as much as everyone hates on Rc3, i think it had more fun with itself. That stupid ninja, evil british guy villain, greedy ocp, I like that sgt. reed got to do something worth while in this one. Then of course there is the silly jetpack. I know i will get flamed for saying this, but as kid i remember watching rc3 way more times then rc2. It just seemed more fun.

The problem with Rc2 for me is cain. He just isn't a very interesting villain. Tom Noonan is great and i love him as an actor, but he just didn't work for me. Robocain doesn't count since that is just a big robot and is barely cain anymore. Robocop should be fighting better things than just a bunch of drug dealers. Like you said i think it is partly sequel-itus. The first movie had clarence and dick Jones, plus ED209. It's just too hard to top that. I do like watching it every now and then though. I feel like as much as everyone hates on Rc3, i think it had more fun with itself. That stupid ninja, evil british guy villain, greedy ocp, I like that sgt. reed got to do something worth while in this one. Then of course there is the silly jetpack. I know i will get flamed for saying this, but as kid i remember watching rc3 way more times then rc2. It just seemed more fun.
I was with you up to the Robocain part. But a fair argument, regardless. As awesome as ED-209 was, he was absolutely useless as a foe imo. Certainly no match for Robocain. Not even close.

Robocop in close combat with ED-209 was absolutely retarded. But I get it. Action was needed. And I loved it, unashamedly.

However, one shot from a damn Cobra Assault Canon put one down for the count at the end of the film. It begs the question of how effective that machine actually was...

Cain was lame. I agree. But Robocain was, to me, quite formidable. Scary, even. Getting in close combat with Robocain was risky. He might just rip your limbs off. I was happy with Robocain. I didn't care for how he was dispatched tho. A dope head? Really?

They phoned in the "drugs are bad" angle. No surprise considering our President at the time.

D.A.R.E.

Edit: Pardon me, Regan was NOT the president during Robocop 2. It was one year off. My apologies.

Last edited:
Yeah...

I, without shame, ignore all that. Robocop 2 is awesome on multiple levels. I see the faults. I simply don't care about them. There is far more good then bad, regarding the sequel in my opinion.

Movie was a blast. Completely different film from the original, true. But you're not ever gonna come close to that, it was never a possibility to begin with.

It's why I generally despise sequels, especially these days. Let alone 35+ yrs ago.

Robocop 2 gets a pass.
Robocop 2 was utter dog turd 💩
11 year old Kid as a villain it was laughable they couldn’t even shoot half of the scenes what Frank Miller wrote they were that far fetched and bad.
Exaggerated villains been bad for no particular reason just to be bad.
That and 3rd one and the TV series tarnished the original which was a masterpiece.

Excellent displays, dblaze!

One of the very few figure(s) that I regret not picking up was the Alex Murphy/Robocop set.
Thank you! I lucked out about 4 years ago and got the 2-pack brand new for around $390. Got the Robocop with the chair for the same price around the same time period.

My quest to fix all the gaps on this figure continue. After using Chilipep's tips to eliminate the gap between the shoulder and the torso, I decided to go after the giant gap in his wrist. The gap certainly allows for great articulation but regardless of gauntlet futzing a noticeable gap always remains somewhere in the space between the elbow and wrist.

I opened up the articulated hand, and simply moved the plunger socket down about 1/8 of an inch, enough to eliminate the gap. I had to cut away some plastic channels to accommodate the new placement. Then I glued the socket down, and wedged/glued a small piece of plastic under it to keep the socket from being pushed in during use. Then reassembled gluing the palm pieces back together. It's a simple clean mod, leaving no visible trace once reassembled except for a slightly deeper sitting socket. Now the gap is gone. Because of the soft rubber socket and gauntlet, I still retain all the articulation and secure fit.

Here's a look at a comparison between an unmodded hand and a modded one.

IMG_1927.jpg

Here's the hand on the inside, modded, before reassembly...

IMG_1918.jpg

The modded hand from the outside after reassembly...

IMG_1922.jpg

With the shoulder and wrists done, I'm pretty happy. I'm not sure if anything can be done about the gaps between the leg connections and hips.

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1940.JPG

Last edited:
My quest to fix all the gaps on this figure continue. After using Chilipep's tips to eliminate the gap between the shoulder and the torso, I decided to go after the giant gap in his wrist. The gap certainly allows for great articulation but regardless of gauntlet futzing a noticeable gap always remains somewhere in the space between the elbow and wrist.

I opened up the articulated hand, and simply moved the plunger socket down about 1/8 of an inch, enough to eliminate the gap. I had to cut away some plastic channels to accommodate the new placement. Then I glued the socket down, and wedged/glued a small piece of plastic under it to keep the socket from being pushed in during use. Then reassembled gluing the palm pieces back together. It's a simple clean mod, leaving no visible trace once reassembled except for a slightly deeper sitting socket. Now the gap is gone. Because of the soft rubber socket and gauntlet, I still retain all the articulation and secure fit.

Here's a look at a comparison between an unmodded hand and a modded one.

View attachment 672181

Here's the hand on the inside, modded, before reassembly...

View attachment 672183

The modded hand from the outside after reassembly...

View attachment 672182

With the shoulder and wrists done, I'm pretty happy. I'm not sure if anything can be done about the gaps between the leg connections and hips.

View attachment 672184

View attachment 672187
Looks like you already started refinishing the black parts. What did you end up doing?

Just experimenting with different satin and matte finishes. In the end, I'll likely do a satin/semi gloss over all the blacks. Just waiting on supplies.

Looks like you already started refinishing the black parts. What did you end up doing?

Back