1/6 Hot Toys - MMS284 - Avengers: AoU - Ultron Prime Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW despite the neck change there, I still don't wike it :dunno WTH!!! :gah:

Yeah I'm with you on that. HT is such a great company, and they really do produce some extraordinary stuff, but they are really missing the mark on this one. I can't for the life of me figure out why. This may be one of those figures that gets delayed for a while. This is one I was so looking forward to, but as it stands now, I may just have to pass. Can't believe I just said that, because I really want this to be good. It will be an awesome piece, if they get it right. :dunno

My point is that if they are creating to figure digitally and printing out the pieces then it wouldn't be a huge setback for them to thicken that area of the shoulders and parts of the neck. Prototyping-wise to alter an existing 3d model, especially an area like that would take a few days. A day or so to have the modelling done/altered (if not less, especially if the modelers are professional with years of experience which I'm assuming they would be) and a day or two to print the piece.

Cant help but see a giraffe now after looking at those images. I do have to say, that the rest of the figure looks superb. Its just the shoulders and neck that make it feel so off, it loses a lot of dominance in the characters silhouette that Prime has in the film.

But that's just my opinion hey. I'd rather spend my $450-$500 on a badass and dominating figure that didn't skip shoulders day at the gym, than giraffetron. Hahaha.

View attachment 196934

I got what you where saying bud. Just pointing out that this is at least a year into the prototype design process. It was first shown last fall. And it takes months before we get to that stage. If it was just as easy as few clicks on a mouse that's one thing. But usually it's a bit more complex. And with licensed items it a lot more complex. marvel has approval over every step. And that isn't a quick process.

And we don't know at what stage they are at. They may be past prototype into production. And that means no changes. At all. The tooling (molds for large scale production) is very expensive and the largest outlay in the actual production side. The production figures are not 3d printed but injection molded (and die cast when they have those as well). If they are into that stage, which given the announced release date I'm sure they either are, or are so close any changes that require approval would be out as the figure would miss its scheduled production slot, miss its packaging slot, and shipping time.

It's just not as simple as a quick change on a 3d file unfortunetly.

Yeah I'm with you on that. HT is such a great company, and they really do produce some extraordinary stuff, but they are really missing the mark on this one. I can't for the life of me figure out why. This may be one of those figures that gets delayed for a while. This is one I was so looking forward to, but as it stands now, I may just have to pass. Can't believe I just said that, because I really want this to be good. It will be an awesome piece, if they get it right. :dunno

I totally agree, I'm not 100% sure I will pass but idk yet, I did pay the NRD :thud:

Lets hope it receives some reworking before release, I like the body and size

I totally agree, I'm not 100% sure I will pass but idk yet, I did pay the NRD :thud:

Lets hope it receives some reworking before release, I like the body and size

Fortunately for me I ordered through BBTS, so no NRD. I'm pretty sure I will hang in there and see it through to the end. I don't like to cancel when I order something. I feel like I gave them my word, and my word is important to me. But, I also like feel like my money is well spent. I've worked too hard for it! 20 yrs retired military!!

Fortunately for me I ordered through BBTS, so no NRD. I'm pretty sure I will hang in there and see it through to the end. I don't like to cancel when I order something. I feel like I gave them my word, and my word is important to me. But, I also like feel like my money is well spent. I've worked too hard for it! 20 yrs retired military!!

Smart move :hi5:

Hmm I don't mind cancelling but I do feel bad afterwards :lol I'm gonna hang in too just until the in hand photos show up then I'll decide but as of right now I'll get him.

Hey congrats on the career and retirement :hi5: I'm not American so I can't say it but I'm sure there are plenty here that Thank you for your service :)
banderausa.gif

Smart move :hi5:

Hmm I don't mind cancelling but I do feel bad afterwards :lol I'm gonna hang in too just until the in hand photos show up then I'll decide but as of right now I'll get him.

Hey congrats on the career and retirement :hi5: I'm not American so I can't say it but I'm sure there are plenty here that Thank you for your service :)
banderausa.gif

And to everyone, I would say, You're welcome!!!!

This needs to happen. Not a difficult fix either if they are doing this figure digitally either. literally just needs thicker shoulders, neck

This is coming from someone who does digital models for fabrication for a living as well haha, so all the nay sayers having a whinge about the complex engineering transferring the screen model to a figure can shhh. hahaha.

View attachment 196646

Bar my ****** potateoshop. You guys get the point.

Perfect, excellent work, you nailed it. :duff He looks about as intimidating as Shawn Bradley at the moment:

shawnbradley.jpg

Some more pics from Comic-Con:

SDCC-2015-Hot-Toys-59.jpg

SDCC-2015-Hot-Toys-60.jpg

I don't get it. I'm pretty fussy with my stuff but all I see here is a great figure and I'm looking forward to putting him on my shelf. The comments saying he doesn't look intimidating - I disagree. The size alone is intimidating and the face nails it. I also really think this will be a killer in hand, much like Rocket. Each to tyheir own though.

I'm pretty content with it myself. Yeah sure, a thicker neck would be a nice fix but given the complex nature of Ultron's neck structure, I can easily forgive the compromise. Beyond that, I think he looks pretty damn good.

I don't think they're giving him a thicker neck due to articulation. I remember when the Iron Man figures had a really weird pencil giraffe neck. People complained about that all the time. They eventually did it better but Ultron is probably suffering from the same thing. They're trying to give his head a range of motion so they made it thin. Personally would take the thicker neck since it suits the design better but I don't think they'll bother changing it.

Prime and Ultimate share the same chassis, right? Hot Toys could have given us two figures in one by adding magnetic swap out parts, a la Mark 42-43. There would need to be 2 head sculpts but the rest of the armor upgrades for the arms and torso could be "snap on" pieces. I know it's too late now but that's how I would have done it if left up to me.:dunno

Prime and Ultimate share the same chassis, right? Hot Toys could have given us two figures in one by adding magnetic swap out parts, a la Mark 42-43. There would need to be 2 head sculpts but the rest of the armor upgrades for the arms and torso could be "snap on" pieces. I know it's too late now but that's how I would have done it if left up to me.:dunno

I had this thought right away when I saw Ultimate Ultron and Ultron Prime. Would have been great if they had done this.

There are differences, most notably in the forearms and abdomen, and of course the head

There are differences, most notably in the forearms and abdomen, and of course the head

Right. That's what the swap out parts would be. For the forearms they could be like the Mark 43, where you have the two halves that connect via magnet. Torso could be like the Mark III, with panels you can add for Ultimate. Was just thinking about this since we haven't heard any rumblings of Ultimate being produced.

Forearms, head, torso and calves are all different...practically a whole new figure.

Forearms, head, torso and calves are all different...practically a whole new figure.

Yep..and business wise it would make no sense to sell them as one. The margins on a new tooled figure like Ultron prime are a lot lower then one that reuses even just small parts. And given the high price of prime already adding five or six more large pieces would add to the price significantly. If al they changed was the head forearms and calves then it would be a perfect reissue for a toy fair or movie promo or just a new release. Very few figures get all that extra stuff...and when they do it's usually like mkvii where they can reuse the tooling on six figures to offset the added cost.

Back