Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Factoring in slo-mo and speed ramping is a must for Snyder.

But seriously, what’s not to love about it? Come on, it’s great. Anyway, I love it, can’t get enough of it.
It can be used to great effect but it can also be overused. I just think the narrative would have been better served with a little less slo-mo and a little more character development and team building.

You raise a fascinating point, honestly. I noticed that too.

Zack clearly knows how to film topfilght fight choreography. See 300, Watchmen, BvS, ZSJL.

In ANH (and in the entire original Lucas SW trilogy) it is actually immersion-breaking that the Empire’s storm troopers can‘t hit the side of a barn, lol. Is Zack calling attention to that and making a comment on that for the space opera genre? He’s absolutely the (subversive) type of director (commenting on genre) that would do that.
Don't know if he's that type of director. Can't comment on that. I just watched some of his movies and enjoyed most of them. Never bothered to analyze him. But it wouldn't seem like a good choice to me to make a comment on the genre in that kind of scene at least not like that. It was so dark and serious tonally that it wouldn't feel fitting at all unless you like the idea - as a director - to take your audience right out of a scene just to make that point...

Star Wars OT are movies made for kids so I can be much more forgiving with that but of course it's hilarious that they never seem to hit anything.
Rebel Moon to me doesn't feel like a kids movie. You can chop it up all you want and cut out all the violence and blood but it just doesn't feel like that at all to me. Much too dark and too serious. PG13 or not...

If you wanna comment on the Storm Troopers and their shooting, just do it like that:

THAT was awesome! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It can be used to great effect but it can also be overused. I just think the narrative would have been better served with a little less slo-mo and a little more character development and team building.

Not saying we will get both, but is it possible that we could get both in the R-rated extended cut? Just sayin’.

That they are generally not very realistic? Yeah, totally.
When I watch a sci-fi fantasy movie I usually don't expect realistic and down to earth fight scenes. So I'm okay with that. That's why it doesn't bother me in the slightest that the lean girl takes out all the tough looking guys all on her own. If it looks cool I'm all for it!

But him just standing there, doing nothing at all?
... I'm not saying it doesn't happen in other movies. Of course you see it quite often: the bad guys lining up to get beat up by the hero one after the other instead of them all just overpowering them all at once. That's a common trope.
But here it just feels so unnecessary to me 'cause it's actually a real easy fix. Just make him show up late to save his guys for example. That way it wouldn't look so implausible.

But like I said, maybe it's just me. It's like a tiny little spot on the ceiling right above your bed. For a long time you didn't even notice it at all... But now that you did you just can't take your eyes off it again and it bothers the hell out of you...

You make a really interesting point about SW being made for kids/GA PG audience. On the other hand, and Rebel Moon was forced to make a PG13 cut alongside the actual R-rated cut that Zack in his heart of hearts always wanted to make.

I mean, that may be it right there.

Just to give some context, the original Alien script was well over 100 pages, and that has very little dialogue and mostly one location...
Well, that was directed by a Brit (Ridley Scott), so the writers may have gotten verbose just to appease him lol. When I lived in the UK I once received a letter from my bank telling me they were changing their name. It was typed, single-spaced and 2-1/2 pages long! I'd seen master's theses that were shorter. When 10 words will do Brits still prefer to use 100 lol...

You make a really interesting point about SW being made for kids/GA PG audience. On the other hand, and Rebel Moon was forced to make a PG13 cut alongside the actual R-rated cut that Zack in his heart of hearts always wanted to make.

I mean, that may be it right there.
Well... I'll definitely be there when the uncut version finally drops.

Until then, more shooting practice: ;)

What bothered me the most about this scene was not that it was chopped up. What really didn't work for me was the rapey Colonel in the back with his gun in hand the whole time and he never even tried to take Kora out. Of course one could argue that they were moving so fast that he was afraid that he could hit one of his own guys. But he really didn't seem like that type of guy to me - rather the exact opposite. So him just standing there in the back with his gun watching the whole scene unfold was what really ruined that fight for me personally.

And worst part of all: it really does seem like an easy fix script-wise...

But maybe that's just me...
He had two men with guns to the side and for the majority of the fight. The other men were in the firing line for most of it too. Even if she beats them which let's face it would he care about any of them? He still had a human shield, a gun, and distance.
I do often see the problem you speak of but I didn't experience it with the scene.

I love slo-mo. For me, he doesn't overuse it. People do seem to be very sensitive to it though.

Snyder does get accused of 'style over substance' and I think the only place that might fit is when he is chopping his movies down to fit in a shorter time frame.

He had two men with guns to the side and for the majority of the fight. The other men were in the firing line for most of it too. Even if she beats them which let's face it would he care about any of them? He still had a human shield, a gun, and distance.
I do often see the problem you speak of but I didn't experience it with the scene.
That's exactly what I'm saying. He doesn't seem like he'd care about the wellbeing of his men so him not taking a shot while he's still in a good position, exactly as you describe it above, just doesn't seem very plausible to me and it totally takes me out of that scene.
But you are right. We see stuff like that in many films and it always bothers me. Here's hoping that the extended cut will fix that issue. Maybe he actually did try to shoot her and it just ended up being cut. Who knows...

That's exactly what I'm saying. He doesn't seem like he'd care about the wellbeing of his men so him not taking a shot while he's still in a good position, exactly as you describe it above, just doesn't seem very plausible to me and it totally takes me out of that scene.
But you are right. We see stuff like that in many films and it always bothers me. Here's hoping that the extended cut will fix that issue. Maybe he actually did try to shoot her and it just ended up being cut. Who knows...
Is him not caring about them if they die by her hand the same as him offing them himself as they are on his side?

Is him not caring about them if they die by her hand the same as him offing them himself as they are on his side?
In this particular case to me it is. 'cause he absolutely seems like the kind of guy who only cares about himself and what's best for him and not about anyone or anything else. And he wouldn't just outright kill them, it's just about taking that risk trying to kill her. And he totally seems like that type.
So him (in this cut) just standing there hiding scared behind a little girl (which is a desparate move) and not even trying to shoot her at least once just doesn't make any sense to me.
But, like I said, the uncut version might fix that...

1.jpg
2.jpg
meme.jpg

This poster gives away the Part 2 plot:

Kora returns home to Veldt accompanied by her ragtag team of warriors, where Nemesis accidentally starts a brush fire with her katanas that rages uncontrollably and consumes the crops, the settlement and all the grain in storage. With nothing to defend, everyone departs the moon to find a new home. The Realm arrives to find nothing but desolation and moves on to exploit the next closest farming community. THE END.

Back