Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got around to watching this. It passed the time just fine. Some visually interesting worlds and characters with a couple cool - if not particularly memorable - action beats peppered in. It’s definitely a big derivative hodgepodge of influences as has already been mentioned. Can’t fault it much for that because it wears those influences on its sleeve, but it also seemed too comfortable taking serious shortcuts with the world-building and character development because of the presumed familiarity with the tropes and themes. So while fun, it was a pretty passive, hollow experience for me and I don’t know that I’ll think about it much until the next one comes out.

I’ll be curious to see the Director’s Cut, although the timing and framing of that (not necessarily its existence in and of itself) still irritates me. It may be a business move that Snyder was on board with, but that doesn’t mean it gets to be waved away, free from criticism. Filmmaking at this level is always going to be a balance between business interests and artistic vision, and compromises made in either direction with re-calibrations to maintain that core vision are inherent to the process. For someone at Snyder’s level, if there was ever a studio that would reduce the number of compromises that needed to be made to put out your dream project and your best foot forward, it’s Netflix. If you’re releasing that next big project to a mix of overwhelmingly negative to mildly positive reviews, while simultaneously talking up an unseen superior version coming later, and the rationale for not releasing the best version out of the gate amounts to “this was the watered down version we made for families to maximize visibility and merchandising during the holidays!”…it’s not a great look.

I also don’t entirely buy it? It doesn’t seem like the mature rating matters nearly as much for the home streaming landscape as compared to theaters, particularly in a post-Game of Thrones world. It’s hard to believe this wouldn’t have ended up as the #1 movie regardless of the content. The movie is already firmly in the PG-13 realm, so the kids they’re aiming to reach must be far younger than I’m imagining based on the movie I watched, or the R version is a very substantial swing to hard hard R territory for it to creatively need that kind of overhaul and justification for a second big release. Could they have released the creator’s ideal version first, possibly to more favorable reviews and a better initial impression, and done a release of a more age-appropriate version later (or even simultaneously)? Certainly, but there wouldn’t be a reason to double dip for your views if the release order was in any other configuration than “worse version first”. That’s the business move.

Regardless, Snyder movies and their response continue to fascinate me. I feel like he just has some special sauce that provokes hyperbole? You’d think with the divisive, passionate responses people have it would be down to arguing a 1/10 vs. 10/10, but then everyone shows their hand and it’s actually like 5-6/10 vs. 7-8/10 lol.

Cameron never gets called out for his extended cuts.

I think ZS makes theatrical cut aficionados uncomfortable lol
Because he makes good films that make billions. Come on it’s not rocket science. The reason Snyder gets called out is he releases a crap movie and promises his extended cut will be his true vision while the other directors release extended cuts to enhance there story and the movie they made is still good with or without the cut they made. It’s that simple.

To be fair, Cameron's theatrical cuts are good and stand on their own. His extended cuts just a little bit more but they're not essential.
I know very little of Snyders work but from what I can tell from this thread, he needs his super duper extended versions to make his movies work properly.
This. Nobody calls out the other directors because they make great films. Peter Jackson? He made an epic fantasy film. He didn’t need to release a special cut. He did it for the fans. Snyder releases mediocre to bad content and says that his true movie will be better. No. Make the first part good. If you can’t make a 2 hr film work then you are just bad 😂

Well, these days, being a franchise is hardly unique. In fact, its odd if you're not.

I'm sure people have many ideas about a sequel to The Martian (yep, he gets left behind again, just like Home Alone).

He's taking food out of my kids' mouths!!! ;)
We are discussing. Not a problem that affects me personally. Just an observation I've come across with his films. Do other directors do this often? He just seems to have this as an MO.
:ROFLMAO:

I don't think it's necessarily him just having director's cuts that have caused this to seem like it's part of his MO, it's how it's all played out.

The time in between the two cuts of Justice League I think is where most of the hoopla comes from. To get the director's cut of JL it took years of fan pressure with Snyder himself getting involved and many of the actors showing support for the release of his cut. Snyder fans thought it would be better whereas non-fans fell into multiple camps, might be better, won't be better, don't care, waste of time, waste of money to it doesn't exist and it will never happen.

Can you comprehend how many internet arguments happened over all of this for nearly 4 years? How many bruised egos on the way to it and afterwards?

His hands were not tied on this film, and he had a a big budget, he's just the king of movies with patches and dlc...

Patches and DLC are changing something afterwards. The director's cut is generally the first thing put together after the assembly cut.

If Rebel Moon Part 1 had a traditional theatrical release, it would have bombed.

It's getting strong numbers on Netflix, but this is already implied in the service itself. You can quantify Barbie as a box office juggernaut because people went out of their way, to carve out time, spend their money , drive to a theater, coordinate with friends, etc, etc, to go see it. This release was timed for the holidays, when people typically have some down time. They don't have to go anywhere to see it. And it's supported by Netflix's own bots, algorithms and internal advertising/marketing.

It's struggled with fans because the "word of mouth" is bad. There are lots of legacy shows like Who's The Boss and Growing Pains that would have been massacred if it was released at a different point in time. But there were only really three major networks. Most people didn't have cable TV. The competition was very thin. But it was accessible by just turning on the TV. You didn't need to travel, coordinate and spend more to see it.

At some point, you need "good word of mouth" All the marketing, virtue signaling, shock marketing and coordinated advertising roll outs can't stop the impact of basic word of mouth. Rebel Moon is going to fall under the category of "It's sort of OK, but you are paying for Netflix anyway, what else is there to watch?"

Now if someone said that Netflix's large scale competition is paying for or leveraging specific high profile reviewers or aligned publications/sites to pan Rebel Moon, then I'd agree with that. Netflix is now a big player and it's major competition wants them to suffer and burn. But again, nothing stops eventual word of mouth. So I don't believe all negative reviews against Rebel Moon are objective nor unbiased. But that's countered by the money Netflix spends to buy off reviewers, sites and publications as well. This is a silent "war" that works both ways.

Rebel Moons large viewing numbers on Netflix are not a lagging indicator of making fans happy. It's lagging indicator of the immediate raw benefit of implied proximity.

From the industry side, from a financing perspective, the only reason to make Rebel Moon is as a loss leader. To keep Snyder exclusively into the fold. This isn't much different than Fox green lighting Millennium, The Lone Gunmen and Harsh Realm, knowing that they'd all fail, just to keep Chris Carter happy since the X-Files, back then, was a legitimate television juggernaut and a real cultural phenomenon world wide. But this also has to consider that there is so much original programming out there. There becomes a major incentive for a network to keep, at high cost, someone like a Ryan Murphy exclusively.

Netflix is under a lot of pressure to create original content. To justify why subscribers should keep subscribing. If Snyder is here, it's because he couldn't make it outside of a system where the logistics favored a structurally flawed film. If you and Alatar and others love it, then great. You do you. I'm happy you found something you enjoy. But practical fan word of mouth for this is just not very good. But Netflix HQ knew that. Which is why Rebel Moon only got a very short window theatrical release in a small number of areas and venues.

Moving the goalposts or attempting to doesn't deflect from the reality that, at some point, a film has to be able to stand on it's own merits. But Rebel Moon, in the eyes of Netflix HQ is not a film, it's content. They'd love a huge hit on their hands, if they can get it, but they are more than happy to settle, as a consolation prize, for just more empty calories.
There's a lot of opinion here and nothing which shows it has actually struggled with fans or at the very least said which fans you are referring to.

Just watched this last week. Got to say, it takes itself way to serious to the point that I got boring and uninteresting.
The characters where too cliche and that made me not like them.
Their introductions were cringe to some degree.
And they tried too hard to make the fight scenes look epic and cool, but again, they were too cringe.
So basically, nothing original from this movie and just fails to bring anything new. I basically guessed every event before it happended on screen.

Just watched this last week. Got to say, it takes itself way to serious to the point that I got boring and uninteresting.
The characters where too cliche and that made me not like them.
Their introductions were cringe to some degree.
And they tried too hard to make the fight scenes look epic and cool, but again, they were too cringe.
So basically, nothing original from this movie and just fails to bring anything new. I basically guessed every event before it happended on screen.
I've never understood this complaint about media that is taking itself seriously.

It takes itself to seriously. lol.
Repeating the same words doesn't inform me of anything, does it?

Too serious in regards to what? The movie that came out before it? The humous books it's based on? The Rebel Moon Monty Python sketch?

:ROFLMAO:

I don't think it's necessarily him just having director's cuts that have caused this to seem like it's part of his MO, it's how it's all played out.

The time in between the two cuts of Justice League I think is where most of the hoopla comes from. To get the director's cut of JL it took years of fan pressure with Snyder himself getting involved and many of the actors showing support for the release of his cut. Snyder fans thought it would be better whereas non-fans fell into multiple camps, might be better, won't be better, don't care, waste of time, waste of money to it doesn't exist and it will never happen.

Can you comprehend how many internet arguments happened over all of this for nearly 4 years? How many bruised egos on the way to it and afterwards?
It also took a worldwide pandemic that shuttered the movie industry. At that point it was a way for WB to get "new" content out there with relatively minimal investment. If not for that you'd probably still be campaigning for its release.

Repeating the same words doesn't inform me of anything, does it?

Too serious in regards to what? The movie that came out before it? The humous books it's based on? The Rebel Moon Monty Python sketch?
It just takes itself to seriously lol. Like it thinks it’s doing something special when it’s not. I don’t know how else to tell ya man. 😂. You not gonna agree anyway

There's a lot of opinion here and nothing which shows it has actually struggled with fans or at the very least said which fans you are referring to.
Well, of the people on this forum who have watched it an overwhelming majority have expressed their disappointment with it. As we're fans of the genre I think we can be used as a representative sample of what @MeatHookGekko is talking about. It's perfectly fine that you're in the minority and disagree with everyone else's opinions but continually being in denial about the numbers and is not a good look.

How should I explain my take on it takes itself too serious?
It was a term I also did not get at first when I heard it many years ago.
Then I saw this movie and finally understood it.
This movie is just that, a serious movie, no inside jokes, no bonding of characters, it is just brooding plot, "cool" action/fight scene with slow motion, introducing broken/cliche character, unsurprising plot twist or event till the end. Not one fun character in the movie. All of them and all of it is just way too serious.
1704724263970.png

It also took a worldwide pandemic that shuttered the movie industry. At that point it was a way for WB to get "new" content out there with relatively minimal investment. If not for that you'd probably still be campaigning for its release.
That's incorrect. It was a go in early February before the movie industry was shuttered and if anything the plan was to shelve it when the pandemic kicked in and finished afterwards. Then it was suggested most of the work could be done by the visual effect artists who would be running out of work during the pandemic.

Well, of the people on this forum who have watched it an overwhelming majority have expressed their disappointment with it. As we're fans of the genre I think we can be used as a representative sample of what @MeatHookGekko is talking about. It's perfectly fine that you're in the minority and disagree with everyone else's opinions but continually being in denial about the numbers and is not a good look.
I thought you might have been referring to fans of Snyder's work.

In denial about what numbers?

How should I explain my take on it takes itself too serious?
It was a term I also did not get at first when I heard it many years ago.
Then I saw this movie and finally understood it.
This movie is just that, a serious movie, no inside jokes, no bonding of characters, it is just brooding plot, "cool" action/fight scene with slow motion, introducing broken/cliche character, unsurprising plot twist or event till the end. Not one fun character in the movie. All of them and all of it is just way too serious.
View attachment 682604
That doesn't help but I appreciate the effort.

That's incorrect. It was a go in early February before the movie industry was shuttered and if anything the plan was to shelve it when the pandemic kicked in and finished afterwards. Then it was suggested most of the work could be done by the visual effect artists who would be running out of work during the pandemic.
sure-jan.gif

Just kidding. Being a big Snyder fan I'm sure you were keeping better tabs on that, but still it probably would have played out quite differently without the pandemic - i.e., it wouldn't have had the stand alone focus that it did.

Back