The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny everyone is so down on this now, as post season 2 general consensus still seemed to be it was pretty good even if not as good as season 1.

Then book of boba fett soured everything it seems :lol
I'm just remaining cautious, I'm not excited and my expectations are low. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but with BOBF Favereau showed just how terrible of a writer he can be. Let's just hope it was a fluke, but I doubt it since he doubled down on it and even compared it to The Godfather :lol.

I'm just remaining cautious, I'm not excited and my expectations are low. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but with BOBF Favereau showed just how terrible of a writer he can be. Let's just hope it was a fluke, but I doubt it since he doubled down on it and even compared it to The Godfather :lol.

I almost wonder if it's more of a Rodriguez problem honestly.

Favreau tees it up and describes these cool Lawrence of Arabia and godfather-esque scenes only for Rodriguez to underscore them with absolute clown show Vespa kids and Fudd fett rabbit robot chases :lol

Favreau tees it up and describes these cool Lawrence of Arabia and godfather-esque scenes only for Rodriguez to underscore them with absolute clown show Vespa kids and Fudd fett rabbit robot chases :lol
But Rodriguez directed the Fett episode of Mando Season 2...which was pretty epic. It's a mystery to me what drives the failures...

But Rodriguez directed the Fett episode of Mando Season 2...which was pretty epic. It's a mystery to me what drives the failures...
Yeah, but probably under greater supervision. I imagine with production underway for Mando already Favreau and Filoni probably just dropped in every once in a while on Rodriguez' set for BoBF.

The Fett episode of Mandalorian Season 2 had one job: get fans excited for the return of a character with legendary badass status. Not a ton of room for "development" or "nuance".

I'm using quotation marks because we all know how those things can end up, either because the director doesn't have a handle on the material, doesn't respect the source, or because the studio wants their product to check a series of boxes. Or all of the above.

To be honest it's not like the bumbling stormtroopers getting murdered by a guy with a crowbar and poorly fitting armour over his aging body was "epic" so much as a "long awaited" -- I respect that your mileage may vary. I don't think it was a *bad* episode but to me it was pretty cartoon-y in a lot of ways.

Yeah, but probably under greater supervision. I imagine with production underway for Mando already Favreau and Filoni probably just dropped in every once in a while on Rodriguez' set for BoBF.
Exactly.

We are talking about the director of Spy Kids, Shark Boy and Lava Girl and Machete. Nuff said.

8B1F4685-E91E-449B-B950-AEF5E6F537B9.jpeg
8359C4EE-7092-4BD6-B58E-952AFF7B8229.jpeg
A165AF59-26F5-4448-97CC-0F2E4C267AC3.jpeg

It's funny everyone is so down on this now, as post season 2 general consensus still seemed to be it was pretty good even if not as good as season 1.

Maybe it's partly down to how BoBF completely undemined the season 2 finale. And how Mando and Grogu were apart for all of 2 minutes.

Personally I'm not against the show or anything, just won't be heart broken if it turns out bad.
I'll just do what I always do with bad Star Wars. Dump it on the "ignore" pile. A pile that has heaped high under Disneys tenure.

Maybe it's partly down to how BoBF completely undemined the season 2 finale. And how Mando and Grogu were apart for all of 2 minutes.

Oh that's definitely it. It's just funny to see them blow so much good will for people in just a couple episodes of another show.

I don't know I'm still excited, but I'm in for anything Mandalorian so I'm biased.

As far as the current score with Disney, it's tough because I like Mandalorian, Rogue One, Andor, Clone Wars Season 7, etc.

But damn the sequel trilogy was just such a massive slap in the face it's hard to say anything positive :lol

The Fett episode of Mandalorian Season 2 had one job: get fans excited for the return of a character with legendary badass status. Not a ton of room for "development" or "nuance".

I'm using quotation marks because we all know how those things can end up, either because the director doesn't have a handle on the material, doesn't respect the source, or because the studio wants their product to check a series of boxes. Or all of the above.

To be honest it's not like the bumbling stormtroopers getting murdered by a guy with a crowbar and poorly fitting armour over his aging body was "epic" so much as a "long awaited" -- I respect that your mileage may vary. I don't think it was a *bad* episode but to me it was pretty cartoon-y in a lot of ways.
Yeah, I'm certainly not the average fan when it comes to Boba Fett. I will say that Stormtroopers being fodder is not a new thing for Star Wars, they've been borderline parody forever. AND IT WAS A GAFFI STICK!!! :LOL:

Nah, the writing was terrible, that's all on Favvy.

Oh that's definitely it. It's just funny to see them blow so much good will for people in just a couple episodes of another show.

I don't know I'm still excited, but I'm in for anything Mandalorian so I'm biased.

As far as the current score with Disney, it's tough because I like Mandalorian, Rogue One, Andor, Clone Wars Season 7, etc.

But damn the sequel trilogy was just such a massive slap in the face it's hard to say anything positive :lol
It's very much a mixed bag and checkered past for Disney Star Wars.
I love Andor, liked Rogue One, mostly liked season 1 & 2 of The Mandalorian. Not fussed about the animated stuff so I don't factor them in.
On the crap pile is the entire sequel trilogy, BoBF and Kenobi.

But yeah, the Grogu stuff in BoBF definitely undermined my interest in season 3.
That and the fact that BoBF was just plain awful and has Favreau fingerprints on the script.

Nah, execution was the issue for me. I wouldn't be surprised at all by how much of the story ended up being "found" in production. The roots are good. The production was lousy. Baby and the bath water and all that.
Everything combined was awful, writing included. Boba Fett was a completely different character.

One day I might watch BOBF again. Remembering the hilarity that was that thread makes me curious if it might be a so bad it's good situation on second viewing.
I did that a few months ago and I do think it was a bit better the second time around. I think it's mostly because I know where the bad stuff is and sort of tune out until it passes. That finale was pretty fun though!

I did that a few months ago and I do think it was a bit better the second time around. I think it's mostly because I know where the bad stuff is and sort of tune out until it passes. That finale was pretty fun though!
Same. I think on second viewing it was more good than bad. Even if the bad was terrible :lol

It was still miles better than Obi-Wan which was a shame considering it probably had the larger budget.

I dont think Disney has one single clue just what kind of damage BoBF did.

When it was airing, I heard so many people who were NOT SW fans praising it. They thought it was great. That's because they knew and still know nothing about Fett. So Disney thinks this was a win, although how much of a win is unknown - since they have had the foresight to not line up a season 2.

I still feel that alienating your core fanbase is not a good idea.

Am I expecting them to **** up Mando? 110%.

Back