1/6 The Mandalorian - 1/6th scale The Mandalorian Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This does not change the fact that HT is a HUGE company, selling tens of thousands of figures every year and those figures start out at a minimum of about $240 and go up from there. They more than have the wherewithall to have anything molded they want. They just sorta seem to not feel like doing that.

They tens of thousands overall per year, but I don't think any individual release hits 10,000; although I did hear that number floated for the Iron Man Mk 50. And that's their best selling figure and it doesn't even use a plastic body, they work from the ground up for almost all the armor releases except some repaints. Figures start less than $240, looking at the recent clone trooper regular for instance, but either way that's the MSRP from Sideshow.

Let's look at Ahsoka for instance at $250 from Sideshow, they're probably distributing that figure at probably $165-175 to retailers. Sideshow is probably getting them from Hot Toys at $130-140, the most then. That's all inclusive of manufacturing, packing, and shipping from China to Sideshow.

I'm really throwing numbers out there, but they shouldn't be too far off. A retailer should probably make at least 30% profit on an item. Some cut into their profit w/ free shipping etc, but they're still doing it. At a high end of cost to Sideshow of $140, all that money going to Hot Toys still has to account for everything else; new molds for head/accessories of each release, painting, sewing, cloth goods costs etc. Monday leftover to make up new molds from bodies isn't a whole lot. I didn't even bring up the license cost yet.

Honestly Sideshow probably makes more off their products than Hot Toys does. That's basically what Alter-Ego said in their statement, they're limited on how many they can order. Retailer stock dries up and people have to go to Sideshow.

This does not change the fact that HT is a HUGE company, selling tens of thousands of figures every year and those figures start out at a minimum of about $240 and go up from there. They more than have the wherewithall to have anything molded they want. They just sorta seem to not feel like doing that.

They appear to have a strong business model as-is that continues to dominate their market. If they're profitable as-is, presumably they have no reason to. And what Hoody said regarding overhead.

Although they clearly saved money on the website they haven't updated since at least 2011 :lol ...

I'd love to see what you guys are talking about -- diverse moulds, multiple female TrueTypes and so on. I just don't think they have any compelling reason to eat into their profit margins to do it.

I wonder how many pieces of a figure does HT sell in average? Any idea?

Hot Toys is famously mysterious on just about every aspect of their business. I can't for the life of me remember where on this forum, but someone who was researching for a book on one-sixth collecting reported that the average run (a couple of years ago) for a Hot Toys figure was generally well under 10,000.

Wait, I found it. On 01-30-2019 a forum member called kyloblack had this to say, take it as you will:

"...and i mentioned this a few months back when someone made a comment about Hot Toys knocking out 20,000+ figures per each design, I can say with confidence that it?s less than half of that, some figures are less than 3,000 or even 2,000."

Found in here:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-180541-p-21.html

Thanks. 2000 seems like a low number to maintain the business, but I think it is not the norm. Probably average is 10000 something.

Any huge company also has huge costs and overheads. Business cases for each figure are calculated separately. So allowing for a new mould for almost every figure obviously doesn't make business sense otherwise they would have done it already.

I have never suggested that they should create a new body for every figure they do; that would be a crazy expectation.

But, soup to nuts, from Baby Yoda 1/6 scale to the Hulkbuster, Hot Toys is selling tens of thousands of figures per year of all types and from all franchises. I think they're doing more than ok. You can tell they are, by how free they are with making people wait. HT does what they want. All day every day.

It'd be nice if they WANTED to do a few more body-types, especially female ones. I wont hold my breath tho. As ZE said, that might eat into their profit margin.

There is also this older video from JC Hong himself. Of course a lot of water has gone under the bridge since they were doing those figures, but he gives some numbers.

[video]https://www.sideshow.com/blog/behind-the-scenes-at-the-real-superheroes-of-hot-toys[/video]

Many SSC figures like the bounty hunters had a limit on 1000. No one even know if they even produced that many and they sad around for a while... so wonder how many figures HT sell on average.

All these people wanting a unique body for every figure... I'd settle for not getting the same damn Luke and Leia sculpt on every figure.

They'll use ROTJ Luke sculpt on TROS Luke force ghost figure. Don't worry, he'll look left this time.

All these people wanting a unique body for every figure... I'd settle for not getting the same damn Luke and Leia sculpt on every figure.

No one wants unique bodies for every character. 13-15 male and 7-8 female bodies would be enough. I agree with you though. Using same headsculpts for 3 figure in a row is an another problem.

I have never suggested that they should create a new body for every figure they do; that would be a crazy expectation.

But, soup to nuts, from Baby Yoda 1/6 scale to the Hulkbuster, Hot Toys is selling tens of thousands of figures per year of all types and from all franchises. I think they're doing more than ok. You can tell they are, by how free they are with making people wait. HT does what they want. All day every day.

It'd be nice if they WANTED to do a few more body-types, especially female ones. I wont hold my breath tho. As ZE said, that might eat into their profit margin.

Hey, their Alita is definitely a top female figure release. Saw Justin Collectibles' review and she looks impressive! Their number one expense (or second) has got to be the licensing fees and getting actor approvals for certain actors. Hot Toys has good quality, but I think they have themselves spread out pretty thin. I wish they would do less figures and focus a tad more on the ones they do release.

I'd settle on every figure getting a unique (and high quality) base, specific to the character or scene. The 'base' that came with the Jawa & Gonk was pretty awful looking.

Hoping it's next week, since it"s been out for over a month in Asia and SS posted a " How to be a Poser" video.

Yep. Feels like it's time to take some heads:stormtroo

Stormtrooperheads.jpg

Maybe I'll just bury them outside for a while in some sand for that authentic look.:cool:

Are those the same? Helmet on the right looks better but maybe just the angle.

They're the same - as cookie cutter as Hasbro can make their cheaper 12" figures. Great suggestion from helmet experts in another thread, if u just need heads.:stormtroo

It's nice HT included 1-head-on-a-pike but IMO for such an evocative image....

stormtrooperheads_mando.jpg

I need more heads:cool:. Don't wanna invest a lot of money tho, so have these earth tone chalks:

https://smile.amazon.com/General-Pe...599503704&sprefix=pastels+eart,aps,144&sr=8-5

and like one railroader mentions use for weathering. I'll try ground chalk and sand w. some bloodstains:monkey3 and seal. Because it can't just be ANY dirt, it has to look like Tatooine sand. The chalk will let me get the color right. Since I can't go to beach for sand. Because everyone else is at beach.:sick

I'll save one of these very basic figs for background (after beating it up) 'coz they're toys. They don't do much, just stand there. Not like I'd destroy an HT for a head:cool:

Back