The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had it been
Spoiler Spoiler:
and then yeah it would’ve been a great payoff to have Keaton
Spoiler Spoiler:
seriously who gives a crap.

That’s my big problem with this movie:

Spoiler Spoiler:
I was fine with retirement reason. I mean this Batman had no meta humans to join a JL with and he finished his job in Gotham.

I mean 89 Batman isn’t high art and neither was this on lol

Having said that this movie contains no hills I am willing to die on. I didn’t hate it but it is very forgettable accept for Keaton being in it.

Gotta say I thought the movie was pretty damn fun. Lots of great visual gags and inventive action sequences, and the cameos were absolutely insane. And while I think the CW series probably told this Flashpoint story a bit better, it still worked fairly well here.

And I honestly didn't find the CGI too egregious either. It's certainly not the best but it got the job done well enough and kinda fit the cartoony style of the movie.

Surprisingly the only thing that didn't work as well for me was Keaton's Batman. He was certainly fun to watch but didn't look or feel much at all like the Burton Batman. And I almost wish they had made this more of a teamup movie with Flash and Affleck's Batman instead.

Last edited:
Just came out of a late showing. Had a decent time with it. It was a fun watch but flawed in a lot of ways.

Positives:
+ It's cool to see Keaton doing Batman stuff since he was more limited to his time back then. Does cool action bits, gets to use a bunch of gadgets (even does a cool double sticky bomb trick I always wanted to see done in live action) and was overall solid. Of course, it was probably all a stuntman/CG but that's pretty much the norm nowadays. It was just cool to see him kick ass. The suit looked great as well.
+ Ezra does a fantastic job in playing 2 different versions of himself. I wish this was the first time we saw his version of the Flash because his previous showings sours his overall image going into this with the character. Him being more mature and bouncing off of his more annoying and quirky younger self in this works well. He takes the situation seriously from start to finish and the emotional aspects allowed him to show some range and have some heart to heart here and there. It's a shame about his personal life problems and I'm guessing this will probably be the last time we'll see his version of the Flash.
+ Sasha as Kara was great, with what little we got.
+ Good action

Negatives:
- You never find out who killed Barry's mom. No Reverse Flash hint? No answer to that? Really?
- The problem I do have with Keaton's Batman is that nothing about him really feels connected to his 89 self. As much as a nostalgia bait NWH was with Tobey/Garfield, both of them felt like there was a sense of continuity from where we last saw them. I didn't get that with Keaton from this. Perhaps it was because of the larger time gap but I felt like there was some disconnect there. Wish that was handled better.
- Because of that, I think the typical Flashpoint Thomas Wayne angle would have maybe worked better for this movie. Can even use Jeffrey Dean Morgan here. Letting Barry meet this dystopia version of Thomas and then having it connect back to Affleck's Bruce at the end, would have been a nice touch. It would have added more to the story and gave a little something to both Barry and Bruce's character. You even have a scene earlier on in the movie where Barry mentions to Bruce that he could save his parents, with Bruce then warning him about doing so. About how those past trauma's shouldn't define who Barry is. Have something stem from that and pay off for both characters. Alas all we get is Keaton with a doomed fate in the end.
- As much as I liked Sasha as Kara, she was wasted in this. She was just used as a plot device and had nothing else going on beyond that. Her fate in this is also a bit depressing. Big shame since I thought she would have a more stand out role. She deserved a lot better and I wish she was given more.
- Zod was wasted as well. I sort of expected it though because there's interviews of Shannon straight up dunking on this film and how little his role meant to him. He had a very "I don't give a **** about this" attitude with the few lines he had. Like the man rolled out of bed, did his lines in 5 minutes and left.
- The CG was among the worst I've seen in recent times. A lot of dodgy stuff in the final act during the desert sequence. The opening act with the microwave babies was even worse. Let's not even talk about those hideous pointless CG cameos. You couldn't even get Cage to film that part in-person when doing that? The director saying the bad CG was a choice is laughable. Straight up PR damage control.
- No cameo for Grant Gustin's Flash was also bizarre? If you're going balls to the walls with cameos, it's crazy that they didn't include him. I stopped watching the show after Season 2/3 but the dude has been the Flash for a decade now and is probably the definitive live action Flash for a lot of people. Pretty crazy that he wasn't in it at all. Ezra's Barry also got the idea of being called the Flash from Grant. Confusing decision to omit him.
- Ending is pretty weak. Especially when you know that the original ending had Keaton + Kara surviving and being there with Barry during that final courthouse scene. Instead we get some lame joke with Clooney that leads to nothing? It was weird.

Overall I'd say a 7/10. Need to digest it a bit but surprisingly, I found Ezra to be the highlight of the film, with everything else surrounding him being weaker. Going into it, I thought it would be the opposite with Keaton and Sasha saving the movie. The movie could have easily been higher had they tightened and improved some things all around.

Last edited:
Yeah very surprising and odd that we didn't get any CW cameos in this, given how beloved those shows were and how long they aired.

I gotta say though I'm fine with the chosen ending. Since it would have seemed odd for those two to show up again after the timeline was supposedly corrected. And we're never going to see these characters again anyway, so might as well end it on a fun note with another crazy cameo.

This is just tasteless.

Spoiler Spoiler:

im a bit confused ,did they have different cuts of the film for different territories

as the one i saw in the uk was the one with the sandwich shop and Alfreds call and superman vs the volcano on tv version

but this guy says it was cut and opens on the running pose

as does the bootleg torrent i found

who saw what and where lol

he also makes claims about deleted cameos and stuff being included on the blu ray

im a bit confused ,did they have different cuts of the film for different territories

as the one i saw in the uk was the one with the sandwich shop and Alfreds call and superman vs the volcano on tv version

but this guy says it was cut and opens on the running pose

as does the bootleg torrent i found

who saw what and where lol

he also makes claims about deleted cameos and stuff being included on the blu ray

I saw it here in Ireland. All the titles and sandwich shop were there. That cam was filmed by someone late to their showing.

I stopped doing this. I use to buy stuff and watch later but now I buy later. I remember I got so many crap figures I regret. The watchman figures, Star Wars force awakens figures , tmnt 2014 figures, the last airbender figures. Glad I grew out of that
One of the best decisions I ever made was not getting into ST sixth scale around when TFA came out.

Keaton’s prettier than Pfeiffer’s lip’s definitely sells him as a different Batman.

His feminine smoothed out with surgery glossy lips is not my Burton Batman that’s for certain.

Just came out of a late showing. Had a decent time with it. It was a fun watch but flawed in a lot of ways.

Positives:
+ It's cool to see Keaton doing Batman stuff since he was more limited to his time back then. Does cool action bits, gets to use a bunch of gadgets (even does a cool double sticky bomb trick I always wanted to see done in live action) and was overall solid. Of course, it was probably all a stuntman/CG but that's pretty much the norm nowadays. It was just cool to see him kick ass. The suit looked great as well.
+ Ezra does a fantastic job in playing 2 different versions of himself. I wish this was the first time we saw his version of the Flash because his previous showings sours his overall image going into this with the character. Him being more mature and bouncing off of his more annoying and quirky younger self in this works well. He takes the situation seriously from start to finish and the emotional aspects allowed him to show some range and have some heart to heart here and there. It's a shame about his personal life problems and I'm guessing this will probably be the last time we'll see his version of the Flash.
+ Good action

Negatives:
- You never find out who killed Barry's mom. No Reverse Flash hint? No answer to that? Really?
- The problem I do have with Keaton's Batman is that nothing about him really feels connected to his 89 self. As much as a nostalgia bait NWH was with Tobey/Garfield, both of them felt like there was a sense of continuity from where we last saw them. I didn't get that with Keaton from this. Perhaps it was because of the larger time gap but I felt like there was some disconnect there. Wish that was handled better.
- Because of that, I think the typical Flashpoint Thomas Wayne angle would have maybe worked better for this movie. Can even use Jeffrey Dean Morgan here. Letting Barry meet this dystopia version of Thomas and then having it connect back to Affleck's Bruce at the end, would have been a nice touch. It would have added more to the story and gave a little something to both Barry and Bruce's character. You even have a scene earlier on in the movie where Barry mentions to Bruce that he could save his parents, with Bruce then warning him about doing so. About how those past trauma's shouldn't define who Barry is. Have something stem from that and pay off for both characters. Alas all we get is Keaton with a doomed fate in the end.
- As much as I liked Sasha as Kara, she was wasted in this. She was just used as a plot device and had nothing else going on beyond that. Her fate in this is also a bit depressing. Big shame since I thought she would have a more stand out role. She deserved a lot better and I wish she was given more.
- Zod was wasted as well. I sort of expected it though because there's interviews of Shannon straight up dunking on this film and how little his role meant to him. He had a very "I don't give a **** about this" attitude with the few lines he had. Like the man rolled out of bed, did his lines in 5 minutes and left.
- The CG was among the worst I've seen in recent times. A lot of dodgy stuff in the final act during the desert sequence. The opening act with the microwave babies was even worse. Let's not even talk about those hideous pointless CG cameos. You couldn't even get Cage to film that part in-person when doing that? The director saying the bad CG was a choice is laughable. Straight up PR damage control.
- No cameo for Grant Gustin's Flash was also bizarre? If you're going balls to the walls with cameos, it's crazy that they didn't include him. I stopped watching the show after Season 2/3 but the dude has been the Flash for a decade now and is probably the definitive live action Flash for a lot of people. Pretty crazy that he wasn't in it at all. Ezra's Barry also got the idea of being called the Flash from Grant. Confusing decision to omit him.
- Ending is pretty weak. Especially when you know that the original ending had Keaton + Kara surviving and being there with Barry during that final courthouse scene. Instead we get some lame joke with Clooney that leads to nothing? It was weird.

Overall I'd say a 7/10. Need to digest it a bit but surprisingly, I found Ezra to be the highlight of the film, with everything else surrounding him being weaker. Going into it, I thought it would be the opposite with Keaton and Sasha saving the movie. The movie could have easily been higher had they tightened and improved some things all around.
Hands down this is the best review of this movie, wow that was an excellent breakdown.

I’m ignoring my review i’m going with yours lol

I saw it here in Ireland. All the titles and sandwich shop were there. That cam was filmed by someone late to their showing.
yeah i thought that but the video i posted said that that bit was cut out of the theatrical release

oh noes you dont think the youtube huckster "in the know" insider was reviewed the film from a illegal cam do you lol :unsure:

how embarrassing

but not entirely surprising lol 👍

I thought Keaton looked fine as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Better than I anticipated even.

Lots of pictures made him look awkward in the suit, but he looked great on film. You can tell when he was in the suit too because he has that Batman swagger gait when he’s walking.

He was even better as Bruce. I liked how when the Barry’s passed out, he immediately does his homework on Superman, shaves off the beard and decides to help them. Classic Batman. Wayne Manor and the Batcave were fantastic. Really set the mood of the second act when they show up there. Thought him painting was a nice touch. Shows how similar is to the Nicholson Joker.

1/6 Bruce Wayne with ascot when?

Last edited:

Negatives:
Yes, I was disappointed that she wasn't given more to do but she was instrumental in Barry #1 getting his powers back (by flying him up into the storm) and had some excellent action scenes, so she did a bit more than get killed over and over again by Zod. No time for her to get any character development but that's not unusual for supporting players in this type movie.
As for the ending, at least it gives the new regime the option of bringing her back, regardless if the movie connects to anything going forward or not.

Positives:
+ Good action

Negatives:

Jeffery Dean Morgan was actually in talks to play Batman in this before Michael Keaton showed interest in returning. He’s joked that he stole his job but that he’s as happy as anyone else to see him return. Honestly, they could have still made it work, but perhaps his walking dead schedule didn’t allow it?

Back