The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I.. I don’t know about epic scope or making audiences want to see them again. If that were the case we’d still have them. They weren’t event movies at all. Mos was ok, bvs was a bloated mess and the Snyder cut was long but serviceable .
I'm just going by the box office. They may not have been gigantic hits, but they still brought a helluva lot more people to theaters than the latest crop of DC movies.

I'm just going by the box office. They may not have been gigantic hits, but they still brought a helluva lot more people to theaters than the latest crop of DC movies.
Oh. Well yea true but I mean the promise of a dc shared universe was big back then. Also Batman meeting Superman on the big screen was hype

Yeah agree there. They may not have been as popular as the MCU, but Snyder's movies still at least felt like real "event" movies with a huge, epic scope and larger than life superheroes that made audiences want to see them on the big screen.

As opposed to every DC movie afterwards that looked cheap and cheesy as hell and treated nearly every character like a joke.

Definitely. The quality in general for just about every DC film seems to have taken a huge nose dive in the post Zack era. Some of the cgi in Flash was worse than what you’d see in a Netflix movie. No way in hell is James Gunn going to be the guy that “fixes” everything. The brand is too tarnished. He’ll be lucky if his Superman film does Superman returns type numbers. With the way things are going I’ll be surprised if it even gets made at this point. It’s all but guaranteed that Aquaman 2 and BB will be Box office disasters. It’s sad but I agree with what others have said, I think they just need to let the brand rest a while.

As long as Gadot doesn't start aging really noticeably, I say let her continue. She's absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. She makes me believe that people, even super-heroes, would get tongue-tied just from seeing her. She's got at least a good five years left, I think.

(She'll still be gorgeous the rest of her life, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying five more years til she might start looking silly in the outfit.)

I believe that as the year's roll by BvS will become a classic similar to The Shining and Blade Runner. Poor initial reviews and box office that didn't meet expectations. I've witnessed quite a few people finally "get it" recently.

I also think that no matter what Gunn does, Snyder's unfinished saga will haunt WB and be the subject that is repeatedly discussed for the foreseeable future.
Well, I disagree with your conclusions. I guess we’ll see.

semi-hard reboot

*checks*

Nope, not for me.

85840aa156aa0d90f8e497751967fcd54cd8243f.gif

bee4905dd9d1a4f7fd8bfdecb96632a86de00721.gif

As long as Gadot doesn't start aging really noticeably, I say let her continue. She's absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. She makes me believe that people, even super-heroes, would get tongue-tied just from seeing her. She's got at least a good five years left, I think.

(She'll still be gorgeous the rest of her life, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying five more years til she might start looking silly in the outfit.)
Either recast everyone or recast no one.

They've announced they are doing a TV show called 'Waller' with Viola Davis and the Peacemaker cast that comes out next year.
Yeah, that MAX thing I feel they're considering separate and largely disconnected from the movies proper. Peacemaker did better than expected but it's an offshoot of a movie most consider a failure. Perhaps not.

Yeah, that MAX thing I feel they're considering separate and largely disconnected from the movies proper. Peacemaker did better than expected but it's an offshoot of a movie most consider a failure. Perhaps not.
They’re not though, they said the idea was to have the same actors play the characters in animation, TV, movies and video games.

I think this is a "nerd" vs "normies" problem.

Only us nerds obsess about continuity, canon, timelines, and things like that. We obsess over it. We try to force order where there is only chaos. Reading comic books in a post-Crisis 1980s ruined our brains.

Normies just watch stuff and enjoy it. They don't sit there with nagging unpleasant thoughts in their heads about how it all "fits together."

Normies don't care that "Joker" and "The Batman" and "Peacemaker" and "The Flash" all exist at the same time and may or may not be directly related. They just go to the movie, consume, forget about it, and go to the next one.

if Viola Davis "works" as Amanda Waller, she's gonna continue to be Amanda Waller. Hell, even Michael Gough as Alfred was an example of a carryover in casting that was accepted, but anyone with eyes knows there's no way the Schumacher movies and Burton movies could really be considered the same "universe."

People seem to like Mamoa as Aquaman and Gadot as Wonder Woman. No need to change that.

They’re not though, they said the idea was to have the same actors play the characters in animation, TV, movies and video games.
I guess we'll see. By all accounts, from what I've seen and heard, the need to finally put to rest the Snyderverse is real. Marvel had Coulson dead in the movies and alive on TV. Max has AAA characters that the general movie going public doesn't know or care about, but can make WB a tidy little side profit. The main thrust of DC will be the flagship characters with Gunn in a new direction i.e. new cast. The fact we're all still going back and forth on this is actually part of the problem. No cohesion. At least the MCU is going in a unified, albeit faulty, direction.

Again, all this gets answered in the next couple of years with casting news and Superman Legacy. (y)

The thing I love most about all this is that Warner Bros and the filmmakers refuse to see their folly. On paper, these studios have all the resources to make the movies people want to see. Then during development, the writers and producers just screw everything to hell. There is no singular vision. Now movies feel like they’re made by a committee plus an AI system.

With the cancelled Batgirl movie photos leaking, people keep clamoring for Keaton to come back and “DO BATMAN BEYOND”. What these people don’t realize though, The Flash and Batgirl were/are “Batman Beyond”. Old, retired Bruce Wayne mentors young hero (Ezra Miller #1 and #2 + Sasha Calle + Leslie Grace Martínez). There it is. I don’t see why people are surprised by this.

You were never going to see a Burtonesque/Blade Runner hellscape of a future Gotham where Old Man Keaton is hold up in Wayne Manor with his Great Dane and mentors a white boy like Terry McGinnis. Not with this chick being the writer for every DC movie.

FBEA6487-8ABD-4ADE-A46A-3E4AFF93DD1B.jpeg

Warner Bros, Disney, etc will keep churning out the same products written and made by the same people.

Either recast everyone or recast no one.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

I think this is a "nerd" vs "normies" problem.

Only us nerds obsess about continuity, canon, timelines, and things like that. We obsess over it. We try to force order where there is only chaos. Reading comic books in a post-Crisis 1980s ruined our brains.

Normies just watch stuff and enjoy it. They don't sit there with nagging unpleasant thoughts in their heads about how it all "fits together."

Normies don't care that "Joker" and "The Batman" and "Peacemaker" and "The Flash" all exist at the same time and may or may not be directly related. They just go to the movie, consume, forget about it, and go to the next one.

if Viola Davis "works" as Amanda Waller, she's gonna continue to be Amanda Waller. Hell, even Michael Gough as Alfred was an example of a carryover in casting that was accepted, but anyone with eyes knows there's no way the Schumacher movies and Burton movies could really be considered the same "universe."

People seem to like Mamoa as Aquaman and Gadot as Wonder Woman. No need to change that.
The problem is, that only works if there is little to no connective tissue between projects, but if thats the case then why even BOTHER with a cinematic universe. The MCU proves that people DO follow the grander story and care about such things in a cinematic universe.... because thats pretty much the POINT of a cinematic universe.

We here are geeks and care to follow the continuity beyond a casual glance thats true - but that just means that we might be able to make sense of a messy continuity, the casual GA though? They are going to wonder why Davis is Waller with a different Superman, wasn't Robbie's Harley Quinn alongside Leto Joker and Batfleck - so who are these new Joker and Batpeople? Why is Aquaman now a space Gene Simmons? Wasn't he at the end of Peacemaker?
When you need a flowchart, venn diagram and a small essay to explain what is or isn't canon or relevant before you even get started - it isn't good.
Its a mess and confusing, even for geeks, so for a general audience? Its a disaster in the making.

The thing I love most about all this is that Warner Bros and the filmmakers refuse to see their folly. On paper, these studios have all the resources to make the movies people want to see. Then during development, the writers and producers just screw everything to hell. There is no singular vision. Now movies feel like they’re made by a committee plus an AI system.

With the cancelled Batgirl movie photos leaking, people keep clamoring for Keaton to come back and “DO BATMAN BEYOND”. What these people don’t realize though, The Flash and Batgirl were/are “Batman Beyond”. Old, retired Bruce Wayne mentors young hero (Ezra Miller #1 and #2 + Sasha Calle + Leslie Grace Martínez). There it is. I don’t see why people are surprised by this.

You were never going to see a Burtonesque/Blade Runner hellscape of a future Gotham where Old Man Keaton is hold up in Wayne Manor with his Great Dane and mentors a white boy like Terry McGinnis. Not with this chick being the writer for every DC movie.

View attachment 646131

Warner Bros, Disney, etc will keep churning out the same products written and made by the same people.
Yes. Their "Batman Beyond" was going to be the Batgirl movie. Superman was going to be Supergirl. The coming of the DSheU. Batgirl gets shelved, Flash ending gets reshoot to cover. Gunn reboots.

Back