The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just got back from the cinema which only had about 10 people in it.

The riddler was an ok villain.
Penguin didn't do much.
HT looking at their Riddler and Penguin prototypes...

K1TUGJm.gif

I still like all of the Nolan trilogy better than this movie
iHTztV1.jpg

Imagine 4 of darthkostis posting here simultaneously :panic: :horror :thud:
f0bc4d58ab1bea2c963783a2c7c07852.gif

-

I've been catching some leaked clips and scenes online and... I'm not going to say anything because it'd be unfair to before properly watching the entire film, but boy are they dragging the whole "important whispery exposition" cliche bit...

HT looking at their Riddler and Penguin prototypes...

K1TUGJm.gif
They've got Doctor Strange figures to make. Zodiac Virgin & Sopranos Cosplayer aren't what they should be focusing on.

There were distinct similarities in their MOs and motivations. This one is like the Nolan trilogy in the Jokerverse.
For me TDK Joker was menacing and lethal for the whole movie.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
For me TDK Joker was menacing and lethal for the whole movie.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Yes, but that doesn't really emerge till the end.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Just returned from second viewing.

The things that bothered me before no longer do.

That being said Alfred needs subtitles lol

Riddler unmasked improved tremendously for me.

Riddler masked had one rather silly moment but otherwise good stuff.

The Batmobile start up tops even BB that’s how awesome it was!

I enjoyed Penguin quite alot.

How Riddler figured out
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
The Matticus Review you've all been waiting for...LIKE THE CLIMAX OF THE 5TH ACT!

TOO LONG! I thought the movie would end soon, but 40 minutes later it finally ends. Or even an hour later, I don't know lol. The movie felt like it was 10 hours for as immersive as it was. So immersive, but honestly, not structurally sound.

Why am I watching Batman looking at something for 10 seconds long? Then do that 10 more times. I get you want to make this Batman Seven, but with simple cuts the movie could have been 30 minutes shorter. It is intended to be a long burn movie, and that's what I was looking forward to, but there are times when you are just thinking let's move on. You can stay with a scene too long like:

Oh, that whole sequence was terrible. Batman literally runs into frame, meaning he probably ran there beccause he looked out of breath or he took a taxi, so he was late either way. Then, he got slapped around, and finally, Superman tossed him to the side out of frame like Batman was a dirty shirt. Then, we get the ouchie moment.
oh there was an ouchie scene. I don't think I needed to see Batman slowly drag himself away after making a flying mistake.

The tone and feel was awesome. So grounded and you literally go with Batman everywhere. That's what I liked and wanted.

The Batmobile scene was incredible. You felt like you were right in the action. Very intense, very satisfying. This makes me want a HT Batmobile now.

A different Batman than we are used to. No Wayne Manor, surprisingly little of Alfred. I like the little amount of Bruce. I wanted to be with Batman on the adventure. This take on Bruce made a ton of sense. Stuck in full angst mode and is a recluse. It felt right.

Riddler was interesting until his reveal. I feel like he was shown too much. I like how Dano loses it at times. The Riddler I know is unhinged when it doesn't go his way. Not sure I needed the chorus singing though. Essentially what this movie was, just more than what was needed.

Farrell as the Penguin was awesome. Very smart ass. Can't wait to see more of him if that HBO Max show is a thing. Zoe was fine. Emotional and didn't act like a cat as Catwoman. I hate that take on Catwoman. Gordon was good except for the weird part where he is telling Batman to leave. The way he argues with his head back and forth, some people laughed at that. It was odd. There were parts of this movie, like Batman strutting out of the shadows and the flow of dialogue in a scene.

This was a problem I thought I might have as Reeves said this was the start of the Rogues Galley villains. Nothing conclusive with any of them. It felt like an empty conclusion. Riddler's plot was the opposite of the entire movie - big CGI extravaganza ending. Riddler isn't even in the middle of it. The shotgun blast to the stomach was too much. This guy shouldn't be taking gunfire like Superman.

Very surprised at how little action there was. A lot of focus and detail on the detective/story work. It could have used one more action sequence, but I have to give WB credit to give the green light to this grounded of a Batman movie.

Battinson nailed this. So minute (my NOOT) in his performance. It was special and the voice he got just right. The Batsuit, how it looked, his ability to fight - it all felt right and honest. This Batman was Year Two, he is over aggressive and not totally superior yet. I liked to see him fail. Not sure about his having Superman armor at times made sense.

The worst crime this movie made WAS 15 SECONDS OF THE BATCYCLE! WHAT?!??!?!?!? I was totally looking forward to a cool sequence with him driving around on it!

To say this movie is better than TDK is ridiculous. You look at the overall movie and judge it by that. Not half a movie, not most of a movie or even cool scenes. This is not better structurally than TDK. The editing and sound editing were weird. Lingering too long for a scene and then the same sound clips used over and over and over again. I don't think this is even better than BB. Certainly better than TDKR and the rest. The rewatchablility is low for the length and the long burn. This was a bridge to somewhere with what certainly seems like the Joker at the end. Ugh...another Joker...but with some weirdo actor. Eye roll.

See for me I care most how Batman is portrayed and him in shadow alone tops BB/TDK for me.

Yes the movie suffered from too many corrupt politicians and cops hanging out in a single location like a bunch of idiots but I loved the
Spoiler Spoiler:

To say this movie is better than TDK is ridiculous. You look at the overall movie and judge it by that. Not half a movie, not most of a movie or even cool scenes. This is not better structurally than TDK. The editing and sound editing were weird. Lingering too long for a scene and then the same sound clips used over and over and over again. I don't think this is even better than BB. Certainly better than TDKR and the rest. The rewatchablility is low for the length and the long burn. This was a bridge to somewhere with what certainly seems like the Joker at the end. Ugh...another Joker...but with some weirdo actor. Eye roll.
Amen. TDK for the win. It's not even close.
How anybody could sit through The Batman a second time is beyond me.
I'll reiterate my thoughts - Pattinson was great. He was let down by a movie that was not edited well enough.

Riddler's plot was the opposite of the entire movie - big CGI extravaganza ending. Riddler isn't even in the middle of it. The shotgun blast to the stomach was too much. This guy shouldn't be taking gunfire like Superman.
Yeah I agree with this. The movie would have been much better in my book if it didn't have this final arc. In a way, it felt like they were looking at TDK and trying to figure out how to make a big city-wide ending in the way the Joker did. It did not work IMO.

However, I am willing to forgive that for what the rest of the movie brought. Cut that portion out IMO and I would prefer this to the original Batman, BB and TDKR and it would have taken joint first place with TDK in my favorite Batman films.

Just got out of this.

The short of it is The Batman himself is great. He walks purposefully into rooms, like a big haunting creature. He speaks little to anyone but Gordon and Catwoman to keep that image in place. It's interesting to see him still kinda figuring things out, as a year two Batman probably should be.

The story itself is pretty solid and chock full of detective stuff and noir tone. This is probably mostly owed to The Long Halloween.

Though it's not without some things that took me right out of the movie.

DeNiro Penguin, Batman getting shot 1000 times and shrugging it off, having to hear:
"Riddler has 500 followers" ugh. How hard is it to find a dude who is posting in Twitter?

Even shorter:
Good, but TDK probably still better
BvS warehouse scene > any action in this film.

See for me I care most how Batman is portrayed and him in shadow alone tops BB/TDK for me.

Yes the movie suffered from too many corrupt politicians and cops hanging out in a single location like a bunch of idiots but I loved the
Spoiler Spoiler:
I didn't quite get how Batman can deck an officer, get shot and ran after, then hang out with them again at a crime scene. Guess you can assume Gordon smoothed things over, but that's another leap for me. The Riddlers felt like the ending to Batman 66 with the whole gang there to fight. :lol
Amen. TDK for the win.
How anybody could sit through The Batman a second time is beyond me.
I'll reiterate my thoughts - Pattinson was great. He was ket down by a movie that was not edited well enough.
There was just a few times I was sitting there and the scene kept going or the shot kept going. It was like the awkward ending to a conversation, waiting for the other to either continue the discussion, move on to another or end it.

I like long scenes and a long burn mystery like this, but it felt awkward at times. It didn't feel right in my cinema mind, which has much experience and is superior to everyone else. ;)

Back