Somehow Rey Returned

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your last several attempts to pander failed, try again. And agin. And again. You are not wrong, it is the audience
The thing is people complained about Leia at the time too.

If the sequel trilogy had been GOOD, nobody would care about “pandering” or “diversity” being an “issue” (they aren’t the problem).

If a story is good, it’s good. If it stars a woman or minority and it’s good, then good.

The problem is the script. The ST would have failed just as hard if all the roles were white men, because the script itself does none of the characters justice.

Anyway, I wish ‘em luck.

Bad films are bad films, regardless of who the leads are. But I'm coming round to the idea that when certain groups make films, it's going to be bad because they don't put the story first, they shoe horn in certain types of characters as the priority and try to write a story around that.

If a story is good, it’s good. If it stars a woman or minority and it’s good, then good.

The problem is the script. The ST would have failed just as hard if all the roles were white men, because the script itself does none of the characters justice.
I agree 100%. Good is good. I was thinking of a music analogy when reading through this stuff. Bands like the Clash and the Jam wore their ideology on their sleeves, but no matter what your political orientation, it's hard to argue that their music wasn't really damn good. Same with, say, Nina Simone, Harry Belafonte, or on the other side of the coin, Rush. I personally like movies that are thought provoking, even if they don't persuade me to their way of thinking, so long as they are communicating ideas in a clever, thoughtful, artistic, or otherwise fulfilling way.

Nowadays so much of ideology is pure identity, though, and when you come out and say, "now you are going to hear what a woman has to say!" as your opening salvo, then it does trouble me that they are using an identity wedge to drive things at the expense of a good story. I had the impression Rian Johnson made a similar mistake by using, "I'm going to do something no one expects!" as his mission statement, and not "I'm going to make a damn good movie people enjoy!"

Any movie series can turn things around on a dime. The Russo brothers got involved in the MCU and make captain america go from the one of the lamest characters to one of the best with winter soldier. This kind of stuff happens all the time. I will withhold judgement and go in giving the director a clean slate

Can't wait..

She's gonna finish Grogu's training & restart the Jedi order, but only by recruiting Female species throughout the Galaxy.. Grogu will rebel and begin to turn to the Dark Side, but she'll kill him in his sleep. And her New Jedi Order will rule over the galaxy for the next millennia with the longest period of peace ever.

:monkey3

Any movie series can turn things around on a dime. The Russo brothers got involved in the MCU and make captain america go from the one of the lamest characters to one of the best with winter soldier. This kind of stuff happens all the time. I will withhold judgement and go in giving the director a clean slate
Wait...Captain America was lame? I rather enjoyed the First Avenger...

The thing is people complained about Leia at the time too.

If the sequel trilogy had been GOOD, nobody would care about “pandering” or “diversity” being an “issue” (they aren’t the problem).

Anyway, I wish ‘em luck.
I'm not sure where in my comment you read that any sort of diversity = pandering.... No where did I mention that the movie is pandering due to it starring a female.

The issue is that pandering almost guarantees bad writing (as well as sometimes bad direction and acting) as it is prioritized over quality. pandering is the state of prioritising appealing to demographics at the expense of all else. A right wing conservative Christian movie starring only hu-white men would have the exact same issue.

Diverse casts/ female led movies/ movies with LGBT characters that are naturally so can be great (Alien, Rogue One, Andor, Predestination etc) but that is not how Hollywood pandering goes, so yes Pandering is a causal factor, whether it is Pandering to China, women, LGBT or whatever, it is an indicator or wrong priorities.

The opposite of pandering is not straight white male led movies. that is a complete misunderstanding of what pandering is. A movie could pander to straight white men for example. A movie/show can have a trans character as the lead (Predestination) or a Muslim Sheriff (Midnight Mass) but it isn't pandering to LGBT/Muslims, it is naturally part of the story and actually integral for the story to play out.

I don't think anyone actually has issues with black led/ female led etc movies (there are tons of good ones we all love), but when you hear movies being promoted for how they will be so rather than the story being a focus of discussion it is a major red flag that I think the majority of people are sensitive to.

I'm not sure where in my comment you read that any sort of diversity = pandering.... No where did I mention that the movie is pandering due to it starring a female.

The issue is that pandering almost guarantees bad writing (as well as sometimes bad direction and acting) as it is prioritized over quality. pandering is the state of prioritising appealing to demographics at the expense of all else. A right wing conservative Christian movie starring only hu-white men would have the exact same issue.

Diverse casts/ female led movies/ movies with LGBT characters that are naturally so can be great (Alien, Rogue One, Andor, Predestination etc) but that is not how Hollywood pandering goes, so yes Pandering is a causal factor, whether it is Pandering to China, women, LGBT or whatever, it is an indicator or wrong priorities.

The opposite of pandering is not straight white male led movies. that is a complete misunderstanding of what pandering is. A movie could pander to straight white men for example. A movie/show can have a trans character as the lead (Predestination) or a Muslim Sheriff (Midnight Mass) but it isn't pandering to LGBT/Muslims, it is naturally part of the story and actually integral for the story to play out.

I don't think anyone actually has issues with black led/ female led etc movies (there are tons of good ones we all love), but when you hear movies being promoted for how they will be so rather than the story being a focus of discussion it is a major red flag that I think the majority of people are sensitive to.
How do you define the difference between pandering and diverse cast being natural. If you read a few quotes about the fact its the first time x person has been involved in the creative decisions of a franchise it is now securely in the pandering box?

Did they just hire another woman who didn't care much about Star Wars growing up and even less now...?

in memoriam...

24STAR-WARS-WOMEN1-articleLarge.jpg

Back