Somehow Rey Returned

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the Prequel Trilogy 16 years to get Star Wars back on the big screen after Return of the Jedi and took 32 years for Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca and the droids to return in the Sequel Trilogy.

Rey is coming back already in less than 5. Crazy. It’d be like if they made a Star Wars movie in 1988 or 1989 with Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford. It’s just too soon, especially with all these TV shows and cartoons.

483B1581-4448-4DE3-8A75-5CF751D8A05E.jpeg

I'm sorry mate but the audience shouldn't have to come up with excuses for bad writing.
The untrained hero defeating the main villain in the first film of the trilogy - whatever the mitigating circumstances, usually isn't a sign of good character development or plot pacing (exceptions exist but are rare).
Yes the heroes end up victorious at the end of the first SW movie and temporarily defeat the villain. That's usually how it goes. I mean big bad Vader got defeated by freakin Han and another TIE fighter crashing into him. Lol

Yes the heroes end up victorious at the end of the first SW movie and temporarily defeat the villain. That's usually how it goes. I mean big bad Vader got defeated by freakin Han and another TIE fighter crashing into him. Lol
Adding "lol" doesn't make the situation farcical or comparable, no matter how much you might wish it to be.
Vader was beaten in a dog-fight by a man known for being an excellent pilot who ambushed him in a "big damn heroes" moment.
Now if it was Luke, Leia, Han or someone like that beating Vader in a lightsaber/force duel then you would have a point - but it wasn't.

Vader was beaten in a dog-fight by a man known for being an excellent pilot who ambushed him in a "big damn heroes" moment.
He wasn't even beaten; assuming he was the crack pilot later media made him out to be he may have killed Han and Chewie had they engaged -- but it was just that his wingman lost his nerve and collided with him in a tight space while under fire.

It was a lucky (for the Rebellion) accident.

"Hi everyone I'm Dave Filoni and I'd like to point out that was no accident, it was the will of the Living Fo -- OOOWWW!!"

*continues slapping Filoni repeatedly*

The fact that Disney is doubling down on making this franchise into such an intolerable crapfest is discouraging enough as is, but the amount of Redditors I saw today claiming that anyone not excited for this isn’t a “true Star Wars fans” gave me an actual aneurysm.
I’m honestly jealous of anyone who can actually find enjoyment from this awful mess.

Took the Prequel Trilogy 16 years to get Star Wars back on the big screen after Return of the Jedi and took 32 years for Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca and the droids to return in the Sequel Trilogy.

Rey is coming back already in less than 5. Crazy. It’d be like if they made a Star Wars movie in 1988 or 1989 with Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford. It’s just too soon, especially with all these TV shows and cartoons.

View attachment 632494
It’s just a completely different thing now though. Honestly it’s a shame that we didn’t get proper sequels to the Original Trilogy in the nineties or so instead of the special editions and then the prequels.

Under Disney ownership they’re going to continue it for better or worse, and that’s going to mean continuing from where the sequels left off.

Also it’s been about four years so far but who knows when this film with Rey will actually release. It just got announced so there’s a lot of work before it even gets started being written probably. Then it’ll still have to film and go through post production. Could still be a few years or more away.

Adding "lol" doesn't make the situation farcical or comparable, no matter how much you might wish it to be.
Now if it was Luke, Leia, Han or someone like that beating Vader in a lightsaber/force duel then you would have a point - but it wasn't.
Jeez you're a lot of fun.

I really think they’re underestimating the fact that it is going to be hard to get people into a theatre for a movie focused on Rey doing the very thing people thought/hoped Luke would be doing in a sequel trilogy. It’s really hard from a conceptual standpoint to sell this kind of a movie, yet this appears to be the one that will take the 2025 release date. It’s an extreme risk to go in this direction. Each sequel made less than the last and unless they somehow pull a miracle out, this will likely continue that trend.

The only way I see this working whatsoever is a movie that just entirely tells its own story without much reference to those movies but I think that’s basically impossible. Like others have said before, that character introduction of Rey is nearly pitch perfect (so good it was basically copied for Kenobi). The problems begin when the plot happens around her. Her character is just a conduit to whatever theme or story the writers wanted to get across and that’s a shame because the character we were shown in that first five minutes had so much potential. She’s a blank slate because her character is assassinated and changed over and over and they had no idea what they were doing with her character arc the entire time. There’s no real way to fix it, unless you start from a different base line.

If this movie treats the sequels with some sort of high reverence it will struggle in every way imaginable. 15 years is a reasonable jump that could allow for something very different, but I’m not so sure that that will be what we get at all.

I agree with @RavenAsh
THIS should have been Luke in TFA.
Luke creating the Academy and then have some Padawans sneaking around behind his back learning the ways of the Darkside via Exar Kun!!

Oh wait...

After seeing all the new trailers today AND reading that Rey is back,"The Force is definitely Female" is starting to ring true as KK has foreseen.

It really does. I try my hardest to compartmentalize The Mandalorian, but the thought of it connecting to the ST is always lingering in the back of my mind. Anything trying to relate to the ST is going to have a stink on it.
I'd say the Mandalorian seasons 1 & 2 did a pretty good job of distancing themselves from the ST. Then again, I never watched ep. 8 & 9 so I can only imagine the nightmares that haunt you. Stay strong bro!..

I never watched ep. 8 & 9 so I can only imagine the nightmares that haunt you. Stay strong bro!..
I think I saw 7 three times? Maybe two and a half. I saw 8 twice, and 9 once.

But I'm not haunted. I remember some nice visuals from 7 and almost nothing from 8 and 9 unless I really sit and think about them. The ST was pretty forgettable for me.

I mean, yeah, of course. I'm looking forward to Ahsoka and interested in the Jedi Old Republic movie that Mangold is helming.

But Kennedy knows that they messed up with the Sequel Trilogy. She knows it pissed a lot of people off, more than anything that has come before. She could have just left it alone, made other stories around it without touching it. But no, she's gone for this. It takes a certain type of person with a certain type of mindset to do that.
This is exactly what people who wear t-shirts that say "The Force is female" do. They focus more on catering to the actors egos and feelings than on actually making good movies and TV

I think I saw 7 three times? Maybe two and a half. I saw 8 twice, and 9 once.

But I'm not haunted. I remember some nice visuals from 7 and almost nothing from 8 and 9 unless I really sit and think about them. The ST was pretty forgettable for me.
You watched ep.7 THREE TIMES!?.. May I inquire why? I myself found it so profoundly bad that nomatter what they did for ep. 8 & 9, I'd rather not even know.

You watched ep.7 THREE TIMES!?.. May I inquire why? I myself found it so profoundly bad that nomatter what they did for ep. 8 & 9, I'd rather not even know.
I was willing to see where they'd take it. I think I saw it once in theatres and again at home, probably that half or third time was to watch the Falcon scene again or something.

I thought some of the visuals and set pieces were very well done; I was deeply disappointed in the bigger and badder super-weapon Death Star rip-off and really didn't like their disposal of Han's character, but I remained open to it.

I saw 8 twice because the second time my friends wanted to see it; and 9 ... well, why not? Never did see that one again and like I said ... forgotten most of it. Pretty disposable considering all the money they threw at it.

Back