Official X-Files 2 Movie Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Space Chimps opened to $7,181,374 with a budget of $37 million, so it's much more of a flop than X-Files.

Fox is certainly more upset about spending $60 to make Meet Dave, a film with twice the budget of X-Files that had half the opening weekend. An even bigger disaster.

Yea, but Space Chimps has made 18mil and still has the world to go and opened against Dark Knight.

X-Files I take it had a vastly larger fanbase, opened against Step Brothers and prolly will get outgrossed by Chimps.

As for Dave, Murphy in anything other than Shrek is epic fail. Anytime I hear his voice I think of Donkey and not Axle Foley or even Gumby. What does that tell ya?

I think that most of the people that were going to see X-Files saw it opening weekend, and it will now quickly drop from the top ten altogether. There just isn't enough of an audience out there.

Serenity was another TV to film project with a cult following behind it that grossed $10,086,680 on its way to a total of $25,514,517 towards a budget of $39. X-Files 2 earned $10,021,753, a slightly weaker opening but with a 25% lower budget. Neither will go down in the history books as hit films, but rather as box office disappointments that put the final nail in the franchise coffin.

Last edited:
Thing is, this movie is a see it once and then wait for DVD film, it's not so grand or epic you want to see it again, and I'm sure many people will be going around telling friends not to waste gas and money going to the theater and just wait for DVD. This will be a successful home video release, but it is not the type of film to do well in theaters, it's a glorified episode of the series. Too much is going against it for the theater, bad economy, high expectations after the long hiatus of the show.

i went and seen this movie last weekend and i gotta say i was a bit dissapointed, there was nothing wrong with it, but it just could have been so much better. after like 5 years sice X-file die i was expecting a big movie with some "WOW FACTOR" but it just felt like i was watching another episode

Serenity was another TV to film project with a cult following behind it that grossed $10,086,680 on its way to a total of $25,514,517 towards a budget of $39. X-Files 2 earned $10,021,753, a slightly weaker opening but with a 25% lower budget. Neither will go down in the history books as hit films, but rather as box office disappointments that put the final nail in the franchise coffin.

Except the two have vastly different business models. Universal could only judge Serenity as a standalone film as FOX holds the rights to Firefly and that series' DVD sales. It also had no international profile to speak of. Whereas with I Want to Believe the situation is quite different because FOX will have the benefit of better international ticket sales and a boost to the back catalog on home video. Don't doubt the financial miracle of vertical integration. ;)

I finally saw this last night. It was a good film, but just not a good X-files film. I felt the script could have taken Mulder and Scully out and replaced them with just two other people and the film would have been pretty much the same. There was hardly any supernatural phenomenon in it, which is something you come to expect from the X-files. I mean a pyschic guy isn't that abnormal anymore :rolleyes:

I think the problem is they dumbed down this story so much that people that were not fans of the show could watch it an understand it. The first film really only made sense to the fans that followed the show. My Dad and Grandma who didn't watch the show, enjoyed this much more than I did. So it looks like this film has the exact opposite effect the first film did.

Week 2 Box Office - (X-files 2) - 3.4mil with a total 17mil.

Its a made for TV movie and it Bombed. Every article you read states the same. As far as Serenity, thats going to go down as a cult classic. And I dont see X-files 2 being a big DVD hit. Of course the movie wasn't expected to be a blockbuster, but I didn't even think it would flop like this. Its hard to believe FOX its jumping up and down about the movie making 10mil. The Studios dont want to break even, the want to make money. Why give a greenlight to another X-files movie. If another film is made I see going on TV or direct to DVD.

Its a made for TV movie and it Bombed.

I Want to Believe has recouped its budget and is currently generating profit. After two weeks. I win. You lose.

https://the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php

Add to that tally the rest of the theatrical run and its home video sales, where despite your silly claims it will do quite well (The X-Files is a considerable success for FOX on home video). A financial victory for the FOX bean counters. You can go ahead and pencil in The X-Files 3 for 2012.

Not to worry, I don't expect you to admit you didn't know what you were talking about even when the facts are staring you in the face. ;)

I Want to Believe has recouped its budget and is currently generating profit. After two weeks. I win. You lose.

https://the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php

Add to that tally the rest of the theatrical run and its home video sales, where despite your silly claims it will do quite well (The X-Files is a considerable success for FOX on home video). A financial victory for the FOX bean counters. You can go ahead and pencil in The X-Files 3 for 2012.

Not to worry, I don't expect you to admit you didn't know what you were talking about even when the facts are staring you in the face. ;)

Are you David Duchovony?

Wow! Jump for Joy! X-files made 5mil. profit, what a financial success! Hollywood is saved, you're sure trying hard. How about google "X-files Bombs", and do some reading.

X-files made 5mil. profit

In two weeks. It's still in theaters around the world, which means the profit will keep racking up for the next few months. Add to that the profit from home video sales this winter and it's a win. Are you even out of high school? Because you don't seem to have the faintest clue about how this works.

I like how you sneer at $5 million in profit. What idiot would turn that down even if that was all it ended up making?

How about google "X-files Bombs", and do some reading.

I don't need to put any effort into seeing what morons on the Internet wrongly think about a business play. I get that in this thread free every time you post. You were wrong. You lose. It's time to stop digging. Especially in public; how embarrassing for you.

X-files Bombed, and once you have to attack someone, that usually means you lost the argument. Your just a hard headed fool. I feel sorry if your married. Going around giving orders, fighting about nothing. So Mr. Businessman what do you do for a living? Backup your expert business macho-ism with some reality. People like you make me laugh. Everyone's wrong except you, all the writers are dummies. So tell us more about you. You must be soooo successful.

X-files Bombed

If by "bombed" you mean made more than $5 million profit in two weeks and is on track to make even more through the rest of its theatrical run and home video release, then I suppose FOX executives are hoping and praying that every project they ever tackle bombs. I'm sure they're crying all the way to the bank. :rotfl

and once you have to attack someone, that usually means you lost the argument

Pointing out that you literally don't know what you're talking about is not an attack. It's a statement of fact. You don't know what you're talking about, and it makes you look like a moron. Sorry.

There's no shame in admitting you were wrong and don't understand the business side of film. Digging a deeper hole even when reality is staring you in the face, on the other hand...

Hellboy II has dropped out of the top ten after 26 days and still needs to make another $13 million domestically before making back its budget. Nobody is calling that a bomb, yet X-Files 2 is a more profitable movie at this point.

Ok Barlieth, you forgot to answer what you do for living, I'm just curious. You put yourself on that pedestal, so let us have it. Dont hide from the question, and it is funny how serious you are. :joy

Back