Official X-Files 2 Movie Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The movie bombed, which sucks, but it makes sense. It was advertised as just another case, nothing to do with the x-files. All to try and make the non fans see it, but it back-fired. I'm a big X-files fan but when I heard this I wasn't too excited, and the reviews where so-so. I might still go see it, DVD is a definite. But this might be the end of the X-files. I heard Carter wanted to make a Millenium movie but is was denied by the studios, so why would another X-files get a go.

I don't consider this movie a bomb persay. It's a great episode of the X-Files, but where Fight the Future took the show and expanded upon it, this movie just delivers what you'd get in a normal episode of the show. It didn't have movie bang, it was just a high end, 2 hour episode to continue the series. It's nice if you want to see these guys together again, but hopefully they make another and produce something with a bit more punch.

It was advertised as just another case, nothing to do with the x-files.

It was advertised? When? I never saw a single trailer or commercial for it other than what I saw online because I searched it out. I think I saw one poster in the theater, that was it.

I knew people that were interested in this but had no idea when it was coming out. Fox did a terrible job selling this movie and it's almost like they gave up in a crowded summer and just decided to let it pass by unnoticed.

It was advertised? When? I never saw a single trailer or commercial for it other than what I saw online because I searched it out. I think I saw one poster in the theater, that was it.

I knew people that were interested in this but had no idea when it was coming out. Fox did a terrible job selling this movie and it's almost like they gave up in a crowded summer and just decided to let it pass by unnoticed.

I saw the trailer for it several times. Not being a X-Files fan and one who only saw the first movie, I had no interest in seeing it. And the trailer just had some blind looking dude doing nothing but dig in the snow and ice blabbing "its over here" no "over here" didn't entice my interest any more. With only 10mil opening weekend, no one else cared either.

Sucks for the fans though.

The movie bombed

Not exactly. It was a $30 million film with minimal advertising. It recouped a third of its budget in three days and will make the rest back during the remainder of its domestic and international run. It will also make a mint on DVD. I don't think some of you understand how the movie business works, especially small pictures that fall outside the $100 million blockbuster paradigm.

The biggest problem with the film was that it's not a summer movie. It should have been released in winter and would have made much more money as a small character thriller.

Also, why do the X-Files movies have a lot of snow? First one had its third act set in Antartica, this one in some snowy hick town....hmmm.

I want to spoil the movie for everyone. Nothing happens.

It depends what you're looking at. The plot is slight but then this isn't a movie designed for set pieces and spectacle. It's a character piece and quite a bit happens for Mulder and Scully as characters. They go through a bigger arc than they ever did on TV and both end the film in very different places than they started it.

It's not the movie I wanted, but instead of judging based on that like so many seem to be doing I chose to watch it again on its own terms. It's successful in what it sets out to do and it's fairly cerebral, which is probably why so many of its critics don't seem to actually understand what's really happening in it.

A Russian man's lover wants a sex change through a full body transplant.

I don't think that's what's actually happening. He's dying and his lover is trying to find him a new body. I think he's taking women because that's what he has access to and is able to easily kidnap. This directly parallels what's happening to Scully at the hospital. She's fighting to save a boy she's obviously projecting on re: William and the only way to do that is through a radical and controversial procedure the Catholic authorities find abhorrent and ultimately ban. The script isn't offering moral parity between what she's doing and what the Russians are doing but both raise the same question: When does trying to save a life cross the line?

It depends what you're looking at. The plot is slight but then this isn't a movie designed for set pieces and spectacle. It's a character piece and quite a bit happens for Mulder and Scully as characters. They go through a bigger arc than they ever did on TV and both end the film in very different places than they started it.

It's not the movie I wanted, but instead of judging based on that like so many seem to be doing I chose to watch it again on its own terms. It's successful in what it sets out to do and it's fairly cerebral, which is probably why so many of its critics don't seem to actually understand what's really happening in it.

It just seemed....un inspired. Like for instance...had they had a diffrerent, more X-Filey case, toned down, or ENDED the kid subplot, it would've been better. Acting was fine, the directing was fine, the story.....that was not fine.

Having no ending to the subplot about the kid is the whole point of that subplot. It's about finding faith to proceed, not the result. I thought that was well done.

You just "Want to Belive" that.

Anyway someone on IMDB brought up an intresting point...

You leave the theater asking yourself questions that Scully has:
"Why would God let a child suffer from brain cancer?"
"Is there a God?"
"How do you trust a pedophyle?"
"How do you forgive a Priest that has molested 37 kids?"

The X-Files attacked issues about morality, and faith.

This movie opened up alot of those issues for the viewer to think about.

Add in a creepy premis with some Mulder humour and there you have it.

I just remember coming out of the theater thinking two things (after the credits)

Did I just see them wave me goodbye? What the hell? Were they mocking me? Laughing at me because they took my money????

Meh.

With all due respect, you might want to try discussing movies without having to imply that people who disagree with you are in denial. I know exactly how mediocre this movie is, and said so earlier. That doesn't mean that my enjoyment of the character and thematic elements isn't legit.
I have no issue with you not liking it. If you want to discuss that, cool.
If you just want to argue, I'm sure someone else will take you up on it.
:duff

No, I want to vent. Im sure all those points can be thought out and very intresting....but man....that last scene....I feel cheated.

With all due respect, you might want to try discussing movies without having to imply that people who disagree with you are in denial.

I'll never understand the rampant insecurity displayed by so many on the Internet.

I used to have it...but then I got over it, and discovered that...people have diffrerent opinions! (Unless you like The Happening, and or like Uwe Boll films)

Back