Official X-Files 2 Movie Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got a chance to watch the movie and I seem to be in the minority that enjoyed it.

Now, I think I might have been let down had I seen this in theaters as a "summer movie," but with all the snow it felt like a good movie for December. I had a good sense of what the mood and pace of the film was going to be like from fairly early on and I was comfortable with it. It really did feel to me like a non-mythology episode of the show, and while very different from the first film, it still felt very much like the X-Files to me. Not like some of my very favorite episodes, but I could see this fitting in alongside some of the stand alone episodes that they did. (I just always liked the mythology shows better.)

I was wondering if this thread would pop back up with the DVD release the other night. :)

So I saw this movie over the summer and enjoyed it well enough. I posted my comments after seeing the film earlier in this thread. Of course I went out and picked up the DVD a couple of days ago when it was released. I have to say that after watching it two or three more times now, it really has grown on me a lot more. I enjoyed it to begin with, but was expecting something a bit more when I saw it in the theater.

I agree with tomandshell, this does feel much more like a December movie than a summer blockbuster event, and his assessment on viewing the film is pretty much where I am with it right now. I've really enjoyed it a lot more on repeat viewings and am happy to have it on DVD.

Sucked, who gives a crap about a psychic. The first one was soooooo much better. The creepy two headed dog and the headless man was really stupid IMHO.

Sucked, who gives a crap about a psychic. The first one was soooooo much better. The creepy two headed dog and the headless man was really stupid IMHO.

:rotfl

Yeah I finally saw it, and this is pretty much my sentiment, and it's sad that the first movie was better, because it was pretty bad on it's own.

What a horrible, horrible addition to what used to be the wonderful world of X-Files. Why did the FBI need Mulder again? To help them believe?

And were they trying to be funny with the picture of Bush set to the X-Files music? What the hell was that?

Thank God this bombed. Now Chris Carter won't get the chance to "George Lucas" the X-Files.

What a horrible, horrible addition to what used to be the wonderful world of X-Files.

Around a fifth of the original episodes were like this; that's partly where Millennium came from, because these smaller "serial killer with slight supernatural elements" worked so well. It might not be to your taste but it's perfectly in fitting with the rest of the canon. Or do you consider things like Paper Hearts horrible additions as well? There are several "types" of X-Files episode that viewers adored in the series but would likely come in for a savaging as standalone films today. War of the Coprophages anyone?

Why did the FBI need Mulder again?

They needed Mulder to determine whether Father Joe was a fraud or someone who could actually help them recover a missing FBI agent. Actually it's pretty strongly implied they didn't call him in for that - that the new regime at the FBI didn't care about Mulder being a fugitive anymore and he was really just called in because Agent Whitney is a believer and wants to meet him.

Thank God this bombed.

Actually it didn't. It more than doubled its budget and the home video release is going to be almost pure profit - and The X-Files does very well on home video as evidenced by the four separate times it's been released in various iterations (alongside multiple collection packs). We are almost certain to see The X-Files 3 ... presumably in 2012 when the aliens arrive.

I dont think the DVD sales are to good. They ranked in the 200's as top sales at Amazon. I dont think it even broke the 100 best selling DVDs last week, which is strange for a new release. I heard these DVD sales would be the "selling" point for a 3rd film, but it dosen't look good.

Around a fifth of the original episodes were like this; that's partly where Millennium came from, because these smaller "serial killer with slight supernatural elements" worked so well. It might not be to your taste but it's perfectly in fitting with the rest of the canon. Or do you consider things like Paper Hearts horrible additions as well? There are several "types" of X-Files episode that viewers adored in the series but would likely come in for a savaging as standalone films today. War of the Coprophages

No, I understand that this was similar to many of the episodes, and I'm actually a fan of Millennium as well, and had this been an episode it would've been an averagely enjoyable hour of television.

However, I simply expect more from a movie. In the plus column though, I was very happy to see them shy entirely away from government conspiracies and such, but overall it felt really weak.

I was under the impression this bombed... :monkey1 Guess we may be seeing more after all---which I suppose isn't all bad, as now that he's gotten this type of story out of his system we could see something bigger and badder on the next go round.

I dont think the DVD sales are to good.

It's an evergreen title if all the other myriad X-Files releases are any indication. I don't think anyone expects it to keep pace with the seasonal blockbusters. It'll probably be a steady but unremarkable seller like the rest of them. Which believe it or not is what helps keep studios alive.

I heard these DVD sales would be the "selling" point for a 3rd film, but it dosen't look good.

Actually FOX already has a "selling point" to make a third film; the international release of this one doubled its budget. They're in the business to make money and I Want to Believe was a solid if unremarkable earner. I think fans sometimes miss the business side of things. FOX isn't expecting every film to be a blockbuster - certainly not one that cost as little as this one did and had the same negligible ad budget. They made tens of millions of dollars on it. The only people who see that as a "bomb" are people who don't understand how the system works.

However I will say (typical of FOX) the release was mismanaged. This should never have been released near The Dark Knight. It's a cerebral film for a winter audience and would have done better if it had come out in the last few weeks.

However, I simply expect more from a movie.

Fair enough.

Guess we may be seeing more after all---which I suppose isn't all bad, as now that he's gotten this type of story out of his system we could see something bigger and badder on the next go round.

I would expect to see a similar budget, unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be an audience for a $100 million X-Files film but there's clearly an audience for a $25 million one. If we get a third it'll probably be a small scale, isolated response to the 2012 invasion rather than something on the scale of Fight the Future. Not ideal but better than nothing!

And even if nothing comes to pass, I'm glad we got this one. It's much better thematic closure for the series and the characters than The End.

DLed a BR copy to play on my PS3 the other day. Will try to watch it tonight to see if I wanna buy it on BR for more than 1 viewing. I loved the X-Files so much and I don't think i would care if it was all that bad really.

Man, I miss the days of new episodes. Thank goodness for boxed sets. I plan on re-watching a few seasons here during the next few weeks. The movie has rekindled my craving. :lol

I got to watch this for the first time since the theater this weekend. I liked it to begin with, but appreciated it a LOT more the second time. I don't know if it was the extended cut or just the comfort of home but it really delivered for me this time.
I think knowing what to expect was a big part of it. Watching the making of doc I think the filmmakers did not help themselves by leaking fake "monster" info ahead of time. This is an extremely intimate movie.

Saw it twice in the theaters and picked it up on Blue ray from Amazon in the double pack with the first X Files film. After watching it a third time I still don't think it was as bad as the critics and most of the general public made it out to be. It was flawed but even a flawed X File film is better than a lot of stuff out there.

Even though I was enthused to see Skinner, it was kind of a throw in, guess it was more to just give a nod to the fans. The story was ok, similar to some of the monster of the week storylines from the first 4 seasons but since it had been so long it was like asking two friends to come visit.

I really hope they try a third. Frank Spotnitz is writing a comic book for Wildstorm, so far it's pretty decent.

Evan

What a horrible, horrible addition to what used to be the wonderful world of X-Files. Why did the FBI need Mulder again? To help them believe?

The FBI didn't need Mulder back. The filmmakers need Mulder back in the FBI so they could tell a new story.

If the government was so gung-ho to put Mulder on trial and sentence him to death, then why do they not care less now? It makes no sense.

The thing is, the super die-hard X-Files fans are gonna like a movie with Scully brushing her teeth for 2 hours. But IMO the X-Files had some very forgettable and boring episodes, and just because they exist doesn't mean they are quintessential X-Files, which to me is the combination of supernatural, spookiness, creepiness, quirky characters, easygoing humor, and the chemistry (as opposed to the romance) between Mulder and Scully.

The X-Files in its heyday was all about that. And if Chris Carter and his leads are long-since bored by that formula, and feel the need to "progress," that's all well and good, but just don't be delusional that anyone but the most die-hard of X-Philes will follow along.

And were they trying to be funny with the picture of Bush set to the X-Files music? What the hell was that?

Yep, one of the most painful attempts at a joke in the history of cinema. And I couldn't be less of a Bush fan, btw.

Thank God this bombed. Now Chris Carter won't get the chance to "George Lucas" the X-Files.

Too true. Although in this case, I'd welcome a "George Lucasing" of the X-Files in that GL feels free to go back and change story elements on a whim and retcon to his heart's content.

I would retcon out the Mulder/Scully romance. Scully having Mulder's baby would be acceptable, but not a full-blown love affair. I would completely retcon out "The Truth" pts 1 and 2, which were truly awful and absurd episodes and a disgrace to the X-Files legacy.

If the government was so gung-ho to put Mulder on trial and sentence him to death, then why do they not care less now?

I think the government as an institution was always indifferent to Mulder. It's made pretty clear in The End the trial was engineered by supersoldiers. Presumably that problem has been taken care of in the intervening years and the FBI is just happy Mulder is not around to embarrass them anymore.

I really enjoyed the first movie and frankly was unaware that so many people didn't like it. I thought it did really well at the box office, but I could just be remembering wrong. I have only seen a few X Files shows in the past so maybe that has something to do with it. I guess I just more took it on it's own merit. I thought it was well thought out, well acted, and just the right sprinkle of mystery and suspense.

PS. KOTCS shouldn't have copied the ending! :eek:P

I really enjoyed the first movie and frankly was unaware that so many people didn't like it. I thought it did really well at the box office, but I could just be remembering wrong. I have only seen a few X Files shows in the past so maybe that has something to do with it. I guess I just more took it on it's own merit. I thought it was well thought out, well acted, and just the right sprinkle of mystery and suspense.

PS. KOTCS shouldn't have copied the ending! :eek:P

You're right. The first movie did very well at the box office. I actually just got done watching it. :lol I still really enjoy it. I loved the "black oil" theme and how it kept resurfacing throughout the series. *memories :)*

As soon as I learned that XF2 was happening, me and my wife decided to watch all seasons and XF1 to appreciate the upcoming film better.
And I'm glad we did! As a stand alone movie, it might be a little weak, and won't make a lot of sense, but it certainly was a nice way of closing the circle, though I hope we see the LAST X-files movie in 2012...

I skipped this in the theater and finally watched it on Blu-Ray. I had heard it was terrible but since I own the entire series I might as well add the new movie.

And it wasn't horrible. I think if I had gone to the theater I'd have been let down but it rose past my lowered expectations. I was hoping for a little more backstory between Mulder and Scully (it looks like nothing has changed since the final episode) and the "monster of the week" was acceptable, if not exciting.

You could also tell this had a MUCH lower budget than the first film. It looked like the show. And Mulder's beard was the fakest looking thing I'd ever seen on screen.

Back