List of Nominees for the 84th Academy Awards

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a film like The Artist works well because it's a tribute to a by-gone area. But I don't know how successful silent films would be if it became a phase. I think people thought the same thing about musicals - and there have been a handful that have been released over the last decade, but really not too many.

I guess it's a nice tribute but from the bits and pieces I've seen it's nothing special. Oh well. At least crystal was funny as usual.

Only really funny part for me was Will Farrell clashing the cymbals in Brangelina's face. I knew Oldman wouldn't win. But his day will come.

I don't get all the hate towards The Artist winning. It was an incredible movie. I honestly went it thinking I would hate it I was forced into going since thats what my buddy wanted to go see, but I enjoyed it tremendously. If the reasoning people don't want to see it is because its a silent film I would at least give it a try. You might be surprised.

We hate it because it is a gimmick movie, tailored to Hollywood's yen to praise itself.

We hate it because it is a gimmick movie, tailored to Hollywood's yen to praise itself.

To all the people that hate it have you all even seen it? If you have that's fine. Everyone has their own opinion, but it's pretty annoying when people claim they hate a movie when they have never seen it.

Somehow Viola Davis and Michelle Williams were robbed at the same time. I wouldn't have expected anything less from the Academy.

I don't understand how movies with costumes that are attire that have existed in the past win best costume design (aka The Artist). What did they design? I assume they just copied the outfits of the past and made the for the film.

Real, true costume design is creating costumes from scratch, without direct pure influences or background work to recreate.

Hugo seemed to be the film that deserved the win in that category. Not that they nominate the proper films for costume design anyways. The majority are always period pieces.

Rooney Mara should have won her category as should Oldman!

Stinks......yet again!

I don't understand how movies with costumes that are attire that have existed in the past win best costume design (aka The Artist). What did they design? I assume they just copied the outfits of the past and made the for the film.

Real, true costume design is creating costumes from scratch, without direct pure influences or background work to recreate.

Hugo seemed to be the film that deserved the win in that category. Not that they nominate the proper films for costume design anyways. The majority are always period pieces.

I totally agree.
The award should have gone to Rayn Seacrest who wore Kim Jong Il.

Mwaahahahahahaaaa! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I'm delighted that Pakistan scored its first Oscar win last night!

Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy won for best documentary with 'Saving Face', which is about acid attacks on women in rural areas in Pakistan.
Proud of her achievement and hope that the publicity this will generate will lead to something meaningful being done about these atrocities!

She also happens to be from my high school in Karachi, where she was 7 yrs senior to me

I have not seen the artist, but my take is to get this much attention it must have been very well done, which is something amazing in itself. We're old silent movies good, sure but they were silent for a reason they were hard to make. I would have said that making silent movies was a lost art and do make one almost 100 years later and make it work makes it Oscar worthy. Will a few people try to copy it and fail most likely but not many people are going to try it.

I am not shocked people hate it, we are in a time when people love big explosions, lots of cgi, etc... There is nothing wrong with that but open your world to something different (just as long as its not a movie about walking LOL)

Its a shame Meryl Streep won the Oscar - the academy played it safe. They went with the obvious choice, rather than the person that deserved it. Glad I skipped -

Its a shame Meryl Streep won the Oscar - the academy played it safe. They went with the obvious choice, rather than the person that deserved it. Glad I skipped -

For sure. I think they played it safe with a lot of things. I think Michelle should have won best actress.

But Meryl was picked for headlines such as "Meryl brakes 19 year drought" etc. (or however long its been)

I think the Iranian film won to save face with the Iranian film industry while our governments get into it.

Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy won for best documentary with 'Saving Face', which is about acid attacks on women in rural areas in Pakistan.
Proud of her achievement and hope that the publicity this will generate will lead to something meaningful being done about these atrocities!

She also happens to be from my high school in Karachi, where she was 7 yrs senior to me

Yup. I'm happy as well. I hope this will be a stepping stone for more of these awful acts to get public attention.

I was very happy for Saving Face too! I remember watching, not this one, but a documentary on Fox about the acid burn victims in Pak and how one beautician gave these women employment in a beauty salon. Giving hope to the hopeless, what a Great thing to do! There was one girl who was going to become an Air Hostess before this incident took place. Very very sad.

I really liked Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (A Separation) too. Brilliantly executed with some great acting. Have you seen Ajami (2009), another beautiful movie!

Back