2020 Oscars Winers and Losers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again the Academy continues the streak of not naming a comic book character based film for Best picture

However it seems each year we get closer and closer :lecture

I'll say this about Bong Joon Ho, he didn't go all retad like all the other winners and kept his speech classy and to the point. It just felt real and wholesome, not an excuse to push his politics, whatever those may be. As for Parasite itself, I liked it, and from the Foreign Films List it's the best, but overall Best Picture is where I'm torn. I saw all of them, and I'd have gone wither with "The Irishman" or "Ford V. Ferrari". I liked OUATIH a whole lot too. To be honest, I'm still perplexed as to how Jojo Rabbit is there. It felt like a schlocky tv movie from 2010.

Well, at least it's not 2019 again. Although I do admit that "Green Book" was comfy. Not great or anything, but it was comfy.

I often wonder what type of comic book film will finally do it :dunno

Something like "Road To Perdition".

I find it interesting that a film can win best Foreign Film and Best Picture in one night. If Foreign Films are allowed to be in the Best Picture category, then why have a best Foreign Film category to begin with? They basically won best picture twice.

I find it interesting that a film can win best Foreign Film and Best Picture in one night. If Foreign Films are allowed to be in the Best Picture category, then why have a best Foreign Film category to begin with? They basically won best picture twice.
It's simply a sub category. I imagine an animated film could still be nominated for best picture and animated picture. These categories exist to give recognition to types of films that are often ignored in the Best Picture category. Nowhere does it say the winner of Best Picture has to be an American film. If 1917 had won, would you be questioning the validity of its win? It was, after all, a British film.

I'm surprised Parasite won, but not disappointed. Now I just have to actually see it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's simply a sub category. I imagine an animated film could still be nominated for best picture and animated picture. These categories exist to give recognition to types of films that are often ignored in the Best Picture category. Nowhere does it say the winner of Best Picture has to be an American film. If 1917 had won, would you be questioning the validity of its win? It was, after all, a British film.

I'm surprised Parasite won, but not disappointed. Now I just have to actually see it.

But you also wouldn't see 1917 be up for a Foreign Film award either. My point is remove that category altogether and all films, foreign or domestic, should have a chance to be up for a nomination for best picture.

But you also wouldn't see 1917 be up for a Foreign Film award either. My point is remove that category altogether and all films, foreign or domestic, should have a chance to be up for a nomination for best picture.
It's fine the way it is.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

It's fine the way it is.

Ultimately I don't care who wins what award and who doesn't. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. My argument really is the academy putting together some form of structure in terms of winning categories but only loosely abiding by them. I don't see the point of having two separate best picture categories if one film can win both.

Ultimately I don't care who wins what award and who doesn't. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. My argument really is the academy putting together some form of structure in terms of winning categories but only loosely abiding by them. I don't see the point of having two separate best picture categories if one film can win both.
But there's nothing to abide to, there was no rule stating a foreign film couldn't win best picture.

Hell, i imagine even a documentary could be eligible for Best picture. Best picture is a big tent, virtually everything is eligible.

Natalie Portman got called out for having all the women names that were not nominated for Best Director sewed into the back of her dress, turns out her own production company has never hired a women to direct (beside herself), I think her production company has done 11 movies and all of them (except for the one she directed) have been directed by white men. Yet she's out there calling everyone else out... :lol

It's fine the way it is.

Look at the best animated film category - where Toy Story 4 competes with much smaller budget hand-drawn movies that have tons more work to do just to be seen and compete, not to mention people love TS as a franchise so are more inclined to vote for it.

If you watch sports, its like an offensive player of the year winning NFL MVP or Cy Young Winner winning MVP. Like others have said, it's a subcategory. They're not mutually exclusive.

:panic:

Bsxze01.jpg

Can?t believe how long he?s been in movies all the way back to when he was a boy. I caught SpaceCamp the other day and forgot he played the little nerd boy in that :lol

Back