INDY IV: Thumbs Up/Down Poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INDY IV: Thumbs Up or Down?

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 110 71.4%
  • Thumb Down

Votes: 44 28.6%

• Total voters
Thumbs DOWN!!!

Had some very classic Indy moments which I loved. Had way to much crap in the film though. The first three films blew this one away. I will not even consider this as part of the Indy series becuase it just cheapens the rest of the films.

I will not even consider this as part of the Indy series because it just cheapens the rest of the films.

I really don't get this. It wasn't even close like not in the same galaxy close to being this bad. I've seen films that where as bad as people in this particular camp but there is just no way in heck Indy 4 was this.

I really don't get this. It wasn't even close like not in the same galaxy close to being this bad. I've seen films that where as bad as people in this particular camp but there is just no way in heck Indy 4 was this.

Well, I suppose if I think of Indy 4 as its own movie and not compare it to the Indy I grew up with and love it was an okay movie. You are right that it is not the worst thing we have seen and there are far worse movies. But, it is suppose to be an Indy film and there were just WAY too many cheese moments. I know cheese is a part of Indy but the crap I saw last night seemed as if it belonged in a Brendan Fraiser movie (George of the Jungle, Dudley Do-Right).

Spilberg is on his "family friendly" movie kick and he is just adding too much silly.

After seeing the film I am glad that Sean Connery didn't come out of retirement for this. Im sure most will disagree, which is fine, but I was honestly embarassed for the actors on screen.

Different strokes then. I just didn't feel really outside of the Monkey it being that over the top with Mutt getting hit in the nuts coming in second. Even with the other films it fits in and for me and many others it appears to be just fine mixing in. Sucks for those that don't feel the same but thats how it goes sometimes.

Last edited:
I think that there is enough of a jump in tone and content that it stands apart a bit, but still feels to me like part of the same family of movies.

I would compare it to somebody watching Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger and then jumping straight to Diamonds Are Forever (or even Moonraker) in the Bond series. It is grounded in certain familiar characters, situations, etc. but is telling a different kind of story in a different kind of way.

Compared to Raiders, there was a massive increase in broad humor, light tone and cheesiness in Last Crusade that paved the way forward, and Crystal Skull picks all that up where they left off and carries it even further. Each film has had a different balance between elements and tone and this one is not a carbon copy of any of the first three (for better or worse).

That's pretty good way of putting it Tom. It is a bit different and I think thats what bothers people or I'm guessing anyways. As I said in my intital review there are some things I could have lived without or didn't like but the really only over the top (Dudley Do-Right type) stuff was the Monkey Business.

I think that there is enough of a jump in tone and content that it stands apart a bit, but still feels to me like part of the same family of movies.

I would compare it to somebody watching Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger and then jumping straight to Diamonds Are Forever (or even Moonraker) in the Bond series. It is grounded in certain familiar characters, situations, etc. but is telling a different kind of story in a different kind of way.

Compared to Raiders, there was a massive increase in broad humor, light tone and cheesiness in Last Crusade that paved the way forward, and Crystal Skull picks all that up where they left off and carries it even further. Each film has had a different balance between elements and tone and this one is not a carbon copy of any of the first three (for better or worse).

I would disagree with this. I just watched Last Crusade last night in preparation for KotCS and I think they're pretty close in tone. The interaction between Mutt and Indy is very similar to that of Sr. and Jr. The villains thread the line between cartoony and serious just as much too.

Thumbs up! I really liked it, it had its silly parts, but all of the sequels have had that.

I figured the Vine swinging was a nod to Johnny Weissmuller since Indy has a lot to do with classic action/adventure cinema. As for how it will ultimately fit into with the rest of the films for now it seemed to capture the feeling of Indy. But its a little early to tell, the other movies have the benefit of being entrenched in our minds whereas this is very fresh and I think it will take a while for it to completely sink in.

Thumbs down.

They should have brought back John Rhys-Davies as Sallah just so we could hear this line:
"Look, Indy, a flying saucer..."

I smell a strong odor of the Prequels Lucas on this one.

Well, I would have given it a thumbs halfway up after the first time, but now having seen it three times it's definitely a thumbs UP from me.

thumb.2187df6a40f21b453a23eea0b0da27a3.7595a86887ae41d057fb837cc5eddbe1.jpeg

Re: INDY IV: Up/Down Poll

Up, tentatively as a matinee or just walk out after the first 30 or so minutes. :gun

i can't vote because I'm neutral, neither up or down. Just got back from seeing it so I'm still soaking it in i think. I'll get back with you.

Back