Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was around the younger generation this past weekend and all were in agreement that ANH/ESB are inferior to ROTS.

I just kept thinking about how it’s due time for an asteroid the size of mount everest to pay us a visit lol
Wait ‘till the next generation explains to this generation how The Rise Of Skywalker is superior to any PT or OT episode, and how The Last Jedi is too avant garde for old people like them to get

I was around the younger generation this past weekend and all were in agreement that ANH/ESB are inferior to ROTS.

I just kept thinking about how it’s due time for an asteroid the size of mount everest to pay us a visit lol

Revenge of the Sith? I can see that. People around 30 and under are pretty dumb and they thought that was a good movie.

At first I thought you meant Rise of Shitwalker and I had to laugh, cause nobody cares about that movie, especially young people.

Revenge of the Sith? I can see that. People around 30 and under are pretty dumb and they thought that was a good movie.

At first I thought you meant Rise of Shitwalker and I had to laugh, cause nobody cares about that movie, especially young people.
Young, dumb and love killing Separatist Scum

Just watched Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time, was alright I don’t feel like I was really missing much though, felt a bit too long honestly :lol.

Was surprised at the amount of blood/gore though.
Average movie, quite boring honestly.

And this is exactly why I made sure that my kids saw all the classics while they were young, so that they wouldn't grow up with ADHD toward stuff that came out before they were born.

Kids and adults alike loved Raiders back in the day because not only was it a great piece of filmmaking (writing, characters, score, cinematography, etc.) but it in no way felt slow or boring within the context of contemporary films of that same period or any decade prior. But today if someone isn't allowed to experience it in a similar context then the majority of the filmmaking craft on display is ignored on account of it not being "fast" or "furious" enough compared to films of the last decade or two.

And this is exactly why I made sure that my kids saw all the classics while they were young, so that they wouldn't grow up with ADHD toward stuff that came out before they were born.

Kids and adults alike loved Raiders back in the day because not only was it a great piece of filmmaking (writing, characters, score, cinematography, etc.) but it in no way felt slow or boring within the context of contemporary films of that same period or any decade prior. But today if someone isn't allowed to experience it in a similar context then the majority of the filmmaking craft on display is ignored on account of it not being "fast" or "furious" enough compared to films of the last decade or two.
I like plenty of movies that came out before I was born though, I just didn't like Indiana Jones lol. I don't like Fast & Furious.

I like plenty of movies that came out before I was born though, I just didn't like Indiana Jones lol. I don't like Fast & Furious.
Well that's good, because it'd be a shame for anyone to be incapable of enjoying classics that really should be timeless. That's fine if Indy just isn't your thing, but my general point still stands.

It is the onslaught of CGI and rapid editing of shots that really have desensitized people. Just to sit down and watch a slower paced film, takes a little adjustment for me. I always enjoyed the longer duration shots on film, but the popular films I watch today are an ADHD trip. So little time is spent enjoying special moments.

“Boring” is a word I thought I’d never hear be associated with Indiana Jones. FFS.

Well that's good, because it'd be a shame for anyone to be incapable of enjoying classics that really should be timeless. That's fine if Indy just isn't your thing, but my general point still stands.
“Boring” is a word I thought I’d never hear be associated with Indiana Jones. FFS.
Yeah, I just didn't think there was anything too spectacular about the events I was seeing on screen though, like it was alright and I wouldn't say it was a bad movie but I doubt I'd watch it again, whereas I'd happily watch movies Like T1, T2, Scarface, Reservoir Dogs, The Warriors, Robocop and the Star Wars OT over and over again.

People are surprised when I say I didn't like Back to the Future either though.

Yeah, I just didn't think there was anything too spectacular about the events I was seeing on screen though, like it was alright and I wouldn't say it was a bad movie but I doubt I'd watch it again, whereas I'd happily watch movies Like T1, T2, Scarface, Reservoir Dogs, The Warriors, Robocop and the Star Wars OT over and over again.

People are surprised when I say I didn't like Back to the Future either though.
That grounds for a ban right there, son.

I have trouble with OLD old old movies.....getting through Citizen Kane, Metropolis, Gone With the Wind....that's a REAL chore for me. But I absolutely understand their undeniable importance in shaping cinema as we know it. Hell, even "Triumph of the Will" and "Birth of a Nation" did that, but I'm sure those will be "memory holed" sooner rather than later.

But ever since the modern era of "new wave" American cinema was ushered in, (some argue with "Bonnie and Clyde") I can really get into a lot of movies from that era. I have a certain time window of movies where, in my small humble opinion, cinema hit its peak....starting in the very late 60s to the very late 90s. There's a few dozen movies I think are classics or even masterpieces in the 2000s, but VERY few.

Almost all of it is just this formulaic, soulless, heartless PRODUCT. It's not art, it's not "cinema"......it's ESSSS HHHH EYE TEEEEE.

I know I've become an unpopular poster in this section because of those opinions but I can't help it. I'm a grouch. I see behind the curtain. I can't just "turn my brain off and just enjoy the dumb movie for two hours."

I'm like Cypher in the Matrix (one of the last true masterpieces) where instead of seeing green text he sees people. When I watch the current Hollywood product I don't see what's on the screen. I see the collection of accountants in a boardroom saying "We need more Chinese stars to be a big draw in China or else we're not gonna get the numbers we want." "Yeah, we better cut this third of the movie or it's not gonna pass their criteria and they'll ban it." "If we take this character and up his cuteness factor by 25% we're gonna move a lot more units in the 4th quarter for Christmas."

Depressing.

He's edgy. He's in your face. You've heard the expression "let's get busy." Well, this is a dog who gets "biz-zay."

Can we put him in more of a hip-hop context? Forget context. He's gotta be a surfer. Give me a nice schmear of surfer. I feel we should "rastafy" him by 10% or so. Hmm. I think he needs a little more attitude.

1628759949873.jpeg

I have trouble with OLD old old movies.....getting through Citizen Kane, Metropolis, Gone With the Wind....that's a REAL chore for me. But I absolutely understand their undeniable importance in shaping cinema as we know it. Hell, even "Triumph of the Will" and "Birth of a Nation" did that, but I'm sure those will be "memory holed" sooner rather than later.

But ever since the modern era of "new wave" American cinema was ushered in, (some argue with "Bonnie and Clyde") I can really get into a lot of movies from that era. I have a certain time window of movies where, in my small humble opinion, cinema hit its peak....starting in the very late 60s to the very late 90s. There's a few dozen movies I think are classics or even masterpieces in the 2000s, but VERY few.

Almost all of it is just this formulaic, soulless, heartless PRODUCT. It's not art, it's not "cinema"......it's ESSSS HHHH EYE TEEEEE.

I know I've become an unpopular poster in this section because of those opinions but I can't help it. I'm a grouch. I see behind the curtain. I can't just "turn my brain off and just enjoy the dumb movie for two hours."

I'm like Cypher in the Matrix (one of the last true masterpieces) where instead of seeing green text he sees people. When I watch the current Hollywood product I don't see what's on the screen. I see the collection of accountants in a boardroom saying "We need more Chinese stars to be a big draw in China or else we're not gonna get the numbers we want." "Yeah, we better cut this third of the movie or it's not gonna pass their criteria and they'll ban it." "If we take this character and up his cuteness factor by 25% we're gonna move a lot more units in the 4th quarter for Christmas."

Depressing.

He's edgy. He's in your face. You've heard the expression "let's get busy." Well, this is a dog who gets "biz-zay."

Can we put him in more of a hip-hop context? Forget context. He's gotta be a surfer. Give me a nice schmear of surfer. I feel we should "rastafy" him by 10% or so. Hmm. I think he needs a little more attitude.

View attachment 534414
Why are you are certainly not wrong not at all Oto-Fabio-Gar i’m not gonna get so worked up over it and feel that i’m above being able to just put those feelings aside for 3 hours and and enjoy something like infinity war or endgame in an energetic cinema event.

Why…because I wanted to see those characters in cinema done with modern technology while I was a kid watching Nicolas Hammond Spiderman on tv using a rope for his web that’s why.

I can put aside the corporate cynicism for a few hours just to marvel at Cap standing up to Thanos.

Just because you have 1 foot in the grave does it mean your other foot has to suffer lol

I don't disagree Jye.....the biggest thrill of the MCU for me was seeing Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor, in LIVE ACTION, all standing in a shot together.

We've come soooo far from the days of Thor and Daredevil guesting on those Incredible Hulk TV movies (which I loved as a kid.)

But sadly, that thrill wore off for me quickly as it just devolved into more BLUE SKY BEAMS and hordes of CGI aliens to kill and all that stuff. The thrill got old fast.

In 1991 I think I'd literally have SHAT MY ACTUAL PANTS to see Deadpool and Cable in a movie together, and in GOOD costumes no less, not just cobbled together crap on a shoestring budget. (Well...Brolin's Cable wasn't THAT good, but Deadpool looked PERFECT.)

But the sad fact was that it was just decades too late for me. I've moved on. I never wanted to see that in my 40s....I wanted it when I was like 14!!

Iron Man 1 is still the perfect comic book movie. It was so faithful and it did stuff I never dreamed was possible. But when they copied the formula 23 times, I lost interest really fast.

I'm happy for you though, and not being a snarky jerk, I'm honestly happy for everyone that enjoys these movies. I just feel a pang of regret we didn't get them 30 years ago when I would have been the one losing my mind over them.

Eh....I guess we got Dick Tracy though?

Last edited:
But the sad fact was that it was just decades too late for me. I've moved on. I never wanted to see that in my 40s....I wanted it when I was like 14!!
I thank God that when it comes to movies my inner 14 year old self is still alive and well. Hell my oldest child is 14 right now and getting to experience these with my kids might even be better than if these had come out in the 90's anyway. Just speaking from my own experience obviously.

Back