Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thank God that when it comes to movies my inner 14 year old self is still alive and well. Hell my oldest child is 14 right now and getting to experience these with my kids might even be better than if these had come out in the 90's anyway. Just speaking from my own experience obviously.
I enjoy alot of the new movies. My favorite in the Marvel movies is Captain America and in 90 we got a very bad Captain America movie so the new ones really made me happy with his story. Alot of newer movies are vapid but there is still some gems being made. Although I bet the new Indiana flick will not be one of them.

I enjoy alot of the new movies. My favorite in the Marvel movies is Captain America and in 90 we got a very bad Captain America movie so the new ones really made me happy with his story. Alot of newer movies are vapid but there is still some gems being made. Although I bet the new Indiana flick will not be one of them.
I know I remember seeing that first Cap teaser in the theater in 1990 where his shield comes flying at the screen out of a starfield and being so excited thinking that Cap would soon be getting the Batman 89 treatment. Then the movie never even comes out in theaters and years later I finally track it down on VHS only to discover that it sucks, lol.

Fast forward to 2011 and I'm blown away at finally seeing him and Red Skull on the big screen. Then we get TWS, CW, and IW/EG. Totally surreal to be in a packed house opening day of EG and hearing the entire theater cheering at the top of their lungs for my favorite superhero as he attacks Thanos with Mjolnir.

I totally get what Otto is saying. I think it's like magic -- after awhile the tricks just wear thin.

It is harder and harder to be genuinely surprised by a movie. But still, every now and again, a surprise comes along. And it is just so welcome. That doesn't mean it has to be a "great" film by any stretch -- just that it touches you in the same way that films of the past may have done.

Most recently, from the big franchises, I got that sensation from "Rogue One" (not a brilliant movie but there's just something about it that harkens back for me) and I got that sensation from "Infinity War" (which I still enjoy rewatching). There's a few others -- The Winter Soldier, GOTG, The Martian, to name a few...

I know I remember seeing that first Cap teaser in the theater in 1990 where his shield comes flying at the screen out of a starfield and being so excited thinking that Cap would soon be getting the Batman 89 treatment. Then the movie never even comes out in theaters and years later I finally track it down on VHS only to discover that it sucks, lol.

Fast forward to 2011 and I'm blown away seeing him and Red Skull on the big screen. Then we get TWS, CW, and IW/EG. Totally surreal to be in a packed house opening day of EG and hearing the entire theater cheering at the top of their lungs as my favorite superhero attacked Thanos with Mjolnir.
And the pandemic has really sealed that third act as one of the most defining moments in modern cinema and i’m actually quite ok with that. The pandemic destruction of cinema has elevated that event so high up that not even Feige himself will be able to achieve that again!

I totally get what Otto is saying. I think it's like magic -- after awhile the tricks just wear thin.

It is harder and harder to be genuinely surprised by a movie. But still, every now and again, a surprise comes along. And it is just so welcome. That doesn't mean it has to be a "great" film by any stretch -- just that it touches you in the same way that films of the past may have done.

Most recently, from the big franchises, I got that sensation from "Rogue One" (not a brilliant movie but there's just something about it that harkens back for me) and I got that sensation from "Infinity War" (which I still enjoy rewatching). There's a few others -- The Winter Soldier, GOTG, The Martian, to name a few...
So that’s what it finally comes down to how long it takes for the magic to finally wear off.

Very true I agree.

Every time I think my magic is finally going to be extinguished they announce a new Star Wars movie, TV show or hot toys announces a new Star Wars collectible and my magic once again gets denied rest.

Thank the maker then that my magic stamina is on point lol

I read an interview years ago with a writer who had become a personal essayist, who said he also no longer read fiction, because he could "hear the narrative machinery clanking away in the background" -- that's always stuck with me.

For a long time I've said I don't expect anyone to re-invent the wheel, just make a good wheel and I'll be happy. But mass-produced wheels get boring.

And the pandemic has really sealed that third act as one of the most defining moments in modern cinema and i’m actually quite ok with that. The pandemic destruction of cinema has elevated that event so high up that not even Feige himself will be able to achieve that again!
Totally. I'd rather get an IW/EG home release in the proper full frame IMAX ratio than any of the new stuff they have lined up, though so far "What If" is pretty fun.

I have trouble with OLD old old movies.....getting through Citizen Kane, Metropolis, Gone With the Wind....that's a REAL chore for me. But I absolutely understand their undeniable importance in shaping cinema as we know it. Hell, even "Triumph of the Will" and "Birth of a Nation" did that, but I'm sure those will be "memory holed" sooner rather than later.

But ever since the modern era of "new wave" American cinema was ushered in, (some argue with "Bonnie and Clyde") I can really get into a lot of movies from that era. I have a certain time window of movies where, in my small humble opinion, cinema hit its peak....starting in the very late 60s to the very late 90s. There's a few dozen movies I think are classics or even masterpieces in the 2000s, but VERY few.
There are some pretty brilliant old-old-old movies though. The Maltese Falcon has some of the most modern dialogue in a very old movie you will ever see.

I've never had a problem with watching movies from any year per se, but the film itself has to grab me. And that goes for genres too. I have favourites from all over the place, but I'd be lying if I said that I can sit through anything and everything. I can say that I like a certain aesthetic or theme, but not everything that falls under those banners will appeal to me. And I feel the same towards all "art", proper and just consumer-based, in general. It's why I never bothered to develop a music taste; if I like the way it sounds, I listen to it. If I like a movie, I watch it. I like movies set in the Antiquity. I enjoy the Old Hollywood Epics. But I can't sit through all the old flicks with that theme, like the countless Hercules and Goliath and so on movies. In a way, film is a medium that ages, especially compared to something like music and painting. The limitations of each age, the defining points and trends of the period, everything plays a part. In the old days you had practical effects, no CGI. Then they started using computers. Around the 2000s you had that turning point where the CG was good enough to do some wilder stuff, but still limited enough to warrant practical effects and setpieces. Now it's all done with CGI which makes movies feel extremelly artificial. Someone who got used to one style will find it hard to get into another. Movies being a mix of various things (sound, image, motion, etc), show their age, whereas a piece of music, a painting or a sculpture remain unchanged, and anyone can appreciate them.

Personally, I think, it's useless to make generlizations on periods over pieces of media. Nostalgia and the generational bracket play a hugely important role. You like things based on aesthetics and personal values that you might find in something from the 20s, the 60s and the 2010s. Or something might just "click". I've enjoyed Haxan, which is from 1922, but I'd be lying if I said that I can easily sit through all movies of that era. I like Drive, but that doesn't mean I love all of Refn's filmography. I've seen my fair share of Arthouse, and while I love some, I loathe others and hate the overindulgence in something that's quite useless as a genre. Some things just "click". The colour pallete, the actor(s), the themes, everything. Even directors aren't always consistent with their styles. I love the Coen Brothers, but NCFOM, A Serious Man, Intolerable Cruelty and Miller's Crossing are all wildly different. I watched The Man Who Wasn't There and enjoyed it, but moreso because of their style and the cast. If the same story wasn't told in that manner, I wouldn't have given it the time of the day. I like lots of Crime related movies, but I'm not a Gangster afficionado who gives every movie under that genre a chance. With art, highbrow and lowbrow, it's difficult to analse things properly and logically; some things appeal to you and some don't. Even in Capes, there are tons of variations of the same type, but it's only people who are hyperfocused on a particular one that like every such character; others pick and choose based on aesthetics. I like the Super Scientist type. I like Doom, Richards and Stark. But then you have Pym, Banner, Brashear and so on and so forth. They all have something I like, even on a basic level, but I can't just get invested in every single one of them. At some point I think it betrays a lack of genuine taste.

In the end, there are things that are timeless and things that are dated. Sometimes they're so dated they act as a time capsule and become sort of relics. Sometimes you can revolutionise something and still end up becoming outdated in the coming years. How that works on a macro-scale is different from how it works individually. For my money, the Indiana Jones movies are still enjoyable. I like Adventurers, things like Tomb Raider and Uncharted. That doesn't mean I care for those flicks where Michael Douglas hops around the jungle (green diamond or something). Indiana Jones just works. Maybe because I was introduced to it as a kid, maybe because of the craftsmanship of the effects, maybe Ford's charisma and so on. There were jungle movies before IJ, but that's the one that stuck. I can see someone finding them boring and outdated, the same way I really can't sit through hokey 50s Sci-Fi, even if Sci-Fi's generally my favourite genre; from Hard to Space Operas. Me, I'd want Hot Toys dollies of Drake, Indy and Lara to pose together. I'd play a new IJ game. At the grand scheme of things, it's a franchise I like, for this or that reason. But there are other "classic" franchises that I dont care for.

I think it'll be interesting to see how all these IPs fare in the next 50 years or so. Will Batman, Superman, Predator, Spider-Man, the X-Men, Halo and so on still exist? There was a time Halo was THE videogame, and now even CoD has been burried. "Classics" are left behind all the time, and there's very few pop culture media that I can see having the longevity of something like Frankenstein, let alone survive throughout the ages like the Iliad or Shakespeare.

Most likely will work at being clickbait. At least we Have Raiders which to me is as close to a perfect movie as there is and for A-Dev he has Last Crusade. Nothing will take those away.

I'm skeptical that they will even try but if I entertain the idea for a moment - what's to 'hand over' once Harrison is gone? The title character, like James Bond, is sorta the whole raison d'etre. Is anyone really going to be interested in an Indiana Jones Extended Cinematic Universe centering around other characters?

I'm skeptical that they will even try but if I entertain the idea for a moment - what's to 'hand over' once Harrison is gone? The title character, like James Bond, is sorta the whole raison d'etre. Is anyone really going to be interested in an Indiana Jones Extended Cinematic Universe centering around other characters?

I'm not interested in anymore Indiana Jones myself no matter who is playing him, especially within the parameters of present day films. Ford is Indiana Jones period and he is too old to be out treasure hunting.

Yeah this cements the fact that Indiana Jones is a Trilogy and that is how I will remember it. Smh

Yes people will line up around the block to see a Brit TV actress in purple velvet Wonka suit and Greenwich village beret barnstorming through temples while also apologizing to the indigenous peoples and giving back the artifacts she's just snatched, making it super clear she's an empowered woman kicking ass in a man's world (oh, but not any non-white man's world) though gender is completely irrelevant and may not even exist, and while battling the evils of exotic (but NOT "exotic") wild-eyed gods in the developing world but also making it clear she is not one to judge or joke except when it comes to Nazis and white people. Oh, and no animals, except ones that look like they jumped movies from Jumanji.

Other than that, the choice sounds like a total blast.

Back