Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, If they were denying his age pretending he wasn't old, I'd get the complaints.
But they are not. They are putting it front and forward, and addressing that is part of his ongoing character adventure.

He broke a Hot Toys figure of Han Solo. For laughs.

In my book, that's an ESAD offense. Full stop.

Mondragon, my friend, he trashed a figure in our hobby for applause. We must form a team of assassins and avenge this.

Mangold:

"It became really important to me to figure out how to make this a movie about a hero at sunset.[...] The issues I brought up about Indy's age were not things I thought were being addressed in the material being developed at the time. There were 'old' jokes, but the material itself wasn't about it. To me, whatever your greatest liability, you should fly straight towards that. If you try to pretend it's not there, you end up getting slings and arrows the whole way."

This is a perfect statement, and I do hope that approach works.

He broke a Hot Toys figure of Han Solo. For laughs.

In my book, that's an ESAD offense. Full stop.

Mondragon, my friend, he trashed a figure in our hobby for applause. We must form a team of assassins and avenge this.

LOL! Yeah I'm aware , posted that gif a while ago.
5fs1ax.gif

:lol
And....
I doubt anyone (who isn't an over sensitive fan without a sense of hummer) took it personal, it was obviously a gag.
If anything anyone at HT were likely excited to see the figure show UP on Late Night, even to be cantankerously destroyed by Ford.

Ford has been playing the grouchy I want out of Star Wars guy for decades, Carrie Fisher used to joke about being haunted by the character and merchandise too, she made a whole beloved routine about it. The whole shtick about actors surviving beyond a beloved character and their own merchandise and likeness, that seems to become greater than anything they'll ever do or say, overshadowing and intruding on everything they do. They both play that part to a hysterical degree.
Yet in any serious context they always praised Lucas' characters and vision.
This is comedy. :lol
The guy has for decades been having fun, roasting and playing for laughs the disgruntled crotchety old guy who resents the characters he brought to life being more popular than he is, and outliving him in media and merch, for decades.
Yet in serious interviews or address, he praises Lucas and Speiberg as absolute visionaries.
Figure it out.
That some over-sensitive fans get outraged and take this^ and his other nonsense as some offense or affront, speaks more to their instability.

Last edited:
He praises them because he has to. He's not stupid, he's not to going to bite the hand that feeds him.

I was at the BAFTA Awards in LA in 2002, which was honoring Lucas with a lifetime achievement award, and Ford got so drunk that when he was on stage to talk about George he couldn't even put a sentence together. Spielberg had to get up and take over. It was embarrassing (and disheartening).

Any public perception you think you have of people is (generally) not what they're like - or what motivates them.

I'm cynical because I work in the system, and the current system is really broken.

All we can do is hope they pull some wizardry out of their asses and make a decent film, but the odds are stacked against that happening, especially in this current climate. As Tarantino just stated, this is the worst time in filmmaking history, and you don't need to work in the industry to see that.

He praises them because he has to. He's not stupid, he's not to going to bite the hand that feeds him.

I was at the BAFTA Awards in LA in 2002, which was honoring Lucas with a lifetime achievement award, and Ford got so drunk that when he was on stage to talk about George he couldn't even put a sentence together. Spielberg had to get up and take over. It was embarrassing (and disheartening).

Any public perception you think you have of people is (generally) not what they're like - or what motivates them.

I'm cynical because I work in the system, and the current system is really broken.

All we can do is hope they pull some wizardry out of their asses and make a decent film, but the odds are stacked against that happening, especially in this current climate. As Tarantino just stated, this is the worst time in filmmaking history, and you don't need to work in the industry to see that.
There's a salacious story we'd like to hear. Drunken Ford. Oh boy. I take it none of it was recorded?

If you had complete power to change the "system", what would you do?

I'm genuinely asking and am genuinely curious to hear your perspective here. Thanks in advance.

(My first unsolicited suggestion would be to reboot Magic Mike. And make me the headline star in it.... just saying....)

There's a salacious story we'd like to hear. Drunken Ford. Oh boy. I take it none of it was recorded?
Wasn't that thrilling actually. It was at the The Beverly Hills Hotel function room. It was reasonably small because it was a Bafta thing. Ford got drunk. Gerry Haliwell "entertained" then ran around like a 13 year. Ben Kingsly, Ford, Lucas Spielberg were all at the main table. Not much to tell.

Shook Lucas's hand and congratulated him, then shock Speilberg's hand... At the end of the day, you're just some shlep lining up like a dimwit to say well done. Not really into those sorts of things.

Had I have been working with either of them - that would be a different story.

If you had complete power to change the "system", what would you do?

I'm genuinely asking and am genuinely curious to hear your perspective here. Thanks in advance.

(My first unsolicited suggestion would be to reboot Magic Mike. And make me the headline star in it.... just saying....)
I think it was better back in the day. A studio head that had the power to green light things by themselves - they saw talent and gave it a shot They also had acquisition departments that vetted scripts. Now everything goes through external script "coverage" before the studio will even look at it. So some ****wit, who has zero clues, can kill your script before it even reaches anyone of worth. Also, everything is committee driven and all about (*******) metrics. Hence there's no originality and singular "voices" anymore. (Denis Villeneuve is probably one of the last ones that has slipped through the crack).

I don't know that there's a "perfect" system as the old ways had issues to, but anything would be better than the current situation.

I very much doubt that Indy will "hand the hat" off to Phoebe. No more than he handed it off to Shia. First, I doubt Ford would agree to it. Ego would tell him he might have one more 'appearance' in him. Second, and most of all, Phoebe is a trendy casting choice right now but I doubt any of the powers-that-be believe she's a genuine movie star who can carry a 'blockbuster'.

I very much doubt that Indy will "hand the hat" off to Phoebe. No more than he handed it off to Shia. First, I doubt Ford would agree to it. Ego would tell him he might have one more 'appearance' in him. Second, and most of all, Phoebe is a trendy casting choice right now but I doubt any of the powers-that-be believe she's a genuine movie star who can carry a 'blockbuster'.

I would say I agree but then I remember this is Disney we’re talking about.

I think it was better back in the day. A studio head that had the power to green light things by themselves - they saw talent and gave it a shot They also had acquisition departments that vetted scripts. Now everything goes through external script "coverage" before the studio will even look at it. So some ****wit, who has zero clues, can kill your script before it even reaches anyone of worth. Also, everything is committee driven and all about (*******) metrics. Hence there's no originality and singular "voices" anymore. (Denis Villeneuve is probably one of the last ones that has slipped through the crack).

I don't know that there's a "perfect" system as the old ways had issues to, but anything would be better than the current situation.
I agree I much preferred when Weinstein had final say on who got in or not…

:chase

Last edited:
Back