Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People will have to make a choice.

For instance, I think Last Crusade is silly. But miles better than Skull.

I expect the same sort of comparison. Skull is horrid. But miles better than Indy 5.

Maybe we really need to start blaming the real problem with both Indy and SW......

Lucas

I didn't mind Mutt. I didn't like how he was used or that he kept calling Indy old man. I just thought the film was overcrowded, with Mutt, Marion, and the crazy old guy all joining Indy. Maybe they thought a literal family adventure was different and fresh, but it just didn't work for me. Indy needs his space. Maybe one sidekick at a time, like in most of the films, and not a group of people where he just becomes part of it, as opposed to the focus of the scenes.

Last edited:
The monkeys, ants and prairie dogs also crowded it up.

They thought since old Indy couldn't do too much action, they'd clutter it with characters.

This new one at least seems less... casted. But we're still in for the finger-wagging toxic male stuff... where Indy will learn "talking" works better than "fighting"... since he's too old to fight anyway.

Ray Winstone's character was terrible too. A plot device to tell you how the story is moving forward. (n)

Oh, it was the John Hurt character I was thinking of. His insane ramblings were so annoying. The more I forget about that movie the better.

As the Indy films went along, they had an increasing problem of having Indy spending time 'herding' more and more useless people that are detrimental to him during fight/danger scenes.

Raiders: Marion = 50% useless

Temple: Willie = 100% useless, Short Round = 50% useless

Crusade: Henry = 75% useless, Sallah = 75% useless, Marcus = 100% useless

Skull: Mutt = 75% useless, Marion = 95% useless, Oxley = 95% useless, Mac = 100% useless

By this pattern, Indy 5 will have him herding 5 useless people!

As the Indy films went along, they had an increasing problem of having Indy spending time 'herding' more and more useless people that are detrimental to him during fight/danger scenes.

Short Round was the hero of TOD.

He was Indy's getaway driver in Shanghai.

Broke Indy out of the Black Sleep of Kali.

Saved Indy from the rock crusher by fighting Zalim Singh for the voodoo doll.

Without Shorty he'd probably have died at least a couple of times. Then ROTLA would never have existed. :wink1:

Raiders: Marion = 50% useless

Crusade: Henry = 75% useless, Sallah = 75% useless, Marcus = 100% useless

Skull: Mutt = 75% useless, Marion = 95% useless, Oxley = 95% useless, Mac = 100% useless

By this pattern, Indy 5 will have him herding 5 useless people!

That's an interesting way to look at the films. And a good reason they get worse in descending order.

Back